HALL AMBULANCE

Jondoe5150

Forum Probie
If you don't mind me asking, what was the hiring process? Interview questions? Skills? Any info on what it was like. I have been certified as an EMT for the past 4 years but have not worked on a rig. I have ben working as an ER Tech so my skills are a little rusty. I am debating on just applying for their EMT Academy to refresh rather than just jump right in to an EMT spot. Thoughts on this? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
If you don't mind me asking, what was the hiring process? Interview questions? Skills? Any info on what it was like. I have been certified as an EMT for the past 4 years but have not worked on a rig. I have ben working as an ER Tech so my skills are a little rusty. I am debating on just applying for their EMT Academy to refresh rather than just jump right in to an EMT spot. Thoughts on this? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Skip the academy. I guarantee you know more than the academy kids.

Hiring process is standard. Personality and ethics questions. No skills. Generally an expedited process. We are hiring a lot of EMTs.

Jondoe5150

Forum Probie
Hey NPO, Im assuming you work there now? if possible, what would the starting pay be like for someone like myself? I know they say its based on experience but I have no EMS experience, but have been woking in a trauma ER for the past 4 years. And maybe you can answer this, I read a few threads on here in the past, is it true EMTs never run a call? Meaning the medic takes every PT whether its BLS or ALS? Thanks for the help

I'll clear up that misconception for you in regards to EMT's not running call. If you're on an BLS car as an EMT, you will run calls. You get some decent calls too.

If you're on an ALS rig however, the medic is always in the back during transport no matter the level of care that is being provided.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey NPO, Im assuming you work there now? if possible, what would the starting pay be like for someone like myself? I know they say its based on experience but I have no EMS experience, but have been woking in a trauma ER for the past 4 years. And maybe you can answer this, I read a few threads on here in the past, is it true EMTs never run a call? Meaning the medic takes every PT whether its BLS or ALS? Thanks for the help
You will start as a Step 1 EMT. Base pay (8hour) is just less than $15/hr, and prorated on 12 and 24 hour shifts. Its averaged so that every EMT of the same pay scale, who works no over time, makes the same annual pay. Obviously overtime is a given.

Its sort of true. On an ALS unit, that's correct, medics cannot turn a call to an EMT or BLS unit. However our BLS units do run 911 calls. Generally lower level nonemergency 911 calls, but when ALS is unavailable, or a call accidentally gets prioritized incorrectly, BLS will respond to ALS calls.

Jondoe5150

Forum Probie
Thank you guys for that, that is what I had read and there are a few companies near where I live that do that as well. SO wasn't for sure if that was the case with hall. Is overtime Easy to come by? How hard is it to get 12 hour shifts on ALS right off the bat? And im assuming to get on 24 or 48s will take some time? With regular shifts and overtime, how hard is it to make a decent living with hall? That's my biggest concern because I will be relocating to Bakersfield.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Thank you guys for that, that is what I had read and there are a few companies near where I live that do that as well. SO wasn't for sure if that was the case with hall. Is overtime Easy to come by? How hard is it to get 12 hour shifts on ALS right off the bat? And im assuming to get on 24 or 48s will take some time? With regular shifts and overtime, how hard is it to make a decent living with hall? That's my biggest concern because I will be relocating to Bakersfield.
Overtime is not hard to find in the slightest. Even if there's no open shifts, generally you can call the scheduler and say "paramedic so and so and I want to work this day this time to this time." More often than not, they will accept.

New policy is that new hire EMTs must start their first 6-months on BLS. I tend to thing that's a good idea. I enjoy BLS anyway.

24 and 48s do take time, but usually a year or less and you can get a station.

With overtime, a decent living is not hard to make. Especially if you live here. I know several EMTs making $40k+/year. Not a ton, but for a single 20 something year old, it'll do.

We do have a few (5 I believe) employees making $100k+/year. But they were grandfathered in, now there is a salary cap.

FoleyArtist

More murse than medic now...
Overtime is not hard to find in the slightest. Even if there's no open shifts, generally you can call the scheduler and say "paramedic so and so and I want to work this day this time to this time." More often than not, they will accept.

New policy is that new hire EMTs must start their first 6-months on BLS. I tend to thing that's a good idea. I enjoy BLS anyway.

24 and 48s do take time, but usually a year or less and you can get a station.

With overtime, a decent living is not hard to make. Especially if you live here. I know several EMTs making $40k+/year. Not a ton, but for a single 20 something year old, it'll do.

We do have a few (5 I believe) employees making $100k+/year. But they were grandfathered in, now there is a salary cap.

npo thanks for the great info. any idea what medics make w/OT. i wasn't sure if the salary posted on the website was including OT.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
npo thanks for the great info. any idea what medics make w/OT. i wasn't sure if the salary posted on the website was including OT.
The salary on the website is WITHOUT overtime.

I'm not 100% on the medic pay.

Jondoe5150

Forum Probie
What exactly is the salary cap? I have never heard of that before with EMS companies. Where I live now, I have heard of EMTs pulling in 80k-150k per year. Obviously the pay is a good deal higher here, but still a lot for an EMT. Do you get regular raises? When they Hire you, do you go through a training, or is it the typical week long orientations of the county and the companies equipment and then like a week of FTO time? Most companies around here, (Northern CA) that's all they do. You do a week orientation, and then like 6 shifts of FTO. How does Hall handle their New hires?

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
What exactly is the salary cap? I have never heard of that before with EMS companies. Where I live now, I have heard of EMTs pulling in 80k-150k per year. Obviously the pay is a good deal higher here, but still a lot for an EMT. Do you get regular raises? When they Hire you, do you go through a training, or is it the typical week long orientations of the county and the companies equipment and then like a week of FTO time? Most companies around here, (Northern CA) that's all they do. You do a week orientation, and then like 6 shifts of FTO. How does Hall handle their New hires?
Its when you reach a max set of pay by the company. You can't make anymore.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief

The salary caps are listed online I believe. Its because we pay some people so much, and cost of living is so low.

When you get hired you do 2 weeks of classroom orientation and 5 weeks minimum FTO training.

Jondoe5150

Forum Probie
That seems like a much better training process than up here. Especially for someone coming from a smaller town and not familiar with the area. Im horrible with directions so Would take me quite some time to learn the city. As a new EMT, If I wanted to work 5 12s per week is that easy? I know you mentioned you do 6 months BLS, are you limited to only that when picking up overtime during those 6 months? And how hard would it be to clear 40k-50k? This is a difficult decision to make due to the fact that where I live is slightly cheaper to live and I make a little more. But if Im gonna work EMS, and make a move to do it, Hall is where I want to go.

Another question, I notice in a lot of pictures of Hall, they have Manual Gurneys. Is this still the case or are they with the 2015 times and have power gurneys? HaHaHa

Jondoe5150

Forum Probie
And in regards to my question on the salary cap, I meant what is the number? Like for example do they cap it at 70k, 80k? Lower or higher? I tried looking but all they mention is the salary range before overtime which they say is 29k-60k

Jondoe5150

Forum Probie
Also, Whats the typical turn around time from the start of the process? Meaning, If I applied today, what is the average time it takes to get interviewed and hired? Sorry for all the crazy questions, just a big decision to make especially since I would be relocating

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
@Jondoe5150

Yes, the training time here when you start is alot longer than most companies. Also, All our ALS units have Stryker Power cots. 40k as an EMT is not hard like someone mentioned, OT there is plenty of which you can do ALS or BLS once you clear FTO. The cap is for a base rate not including OT. So you'll top say for medic at 75k but with OT you'll make 90k. Turn around time just depends but from when you apply they'll get back to you within a week.

Jondoe5150

Forum Probie
Thank you for answering those questions for me TRSpeed. So if I am understanding correctly, at base pay, there is a cap, but you can exceed that with overtime? is there a cap on overtime as well or just on base pay? What type of questions do they ask in the interview process? IS there multiple interviews or just one like most companies. Thanks for all the help everyone, its making things a little easier for not just me but im sure anyone in my situation.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Thank you for answering those questions for me TRSpeed. So if I am understanding correctly, at base pay, there is a cap, but you can exceed that with overtime? is there a cap on overtime as well or just on base pay? What type of questions do they ask in the interview process? IS there multiple interviews or just one like most companies. Thanks for all the help everyone, its making things a little easier for not just me but im sure anyone in my situation.

There is no cap on overtime, just what you can get. The salary cap is just when you so getting raises.

Standard "in this scenario what would you do" mostly non medical, just to assess your as a person.

There is a second interview with the Ops Mgr, but he generally knows he wants to give you the job if you're in his office. It's basically just to meet and talk.

Medic209

Forum Ride Along
Hello all, just want to chime in. I currently work for a BLS fire department in the central valley and recently applied to Hall, I had my interview a couple of days ago and think it went fairly well. On the resume I gave to my interviewer I have Fire and EMS experience as a FTO and made it know that I am willing to move to Bakersfield for an opportunity at such a great company . I have a couple of questions How long should I wait for a callback for a second interview? Should I follow up at the one week mark? Thank you for your input.

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
Hello all, just want to chime in. I currently work for a BLS fire department in the central valley and recently applied to Hall, I had my interview a couple of days ago and think it went fairly well. On the resume I gave to my interviewer I have Fire and EMS experience as a FTO and made it know that I am willing to move to Bakersfield for an opportunity at such a great company . I have a couple of questions How long should I wait for a callback for a second interview? Should I follow up at the one week mark? Thank you for your input.

They get back to you reasonably quick usually a week. And yes, if you haven't herd in a 10 days give hr a call. You applying medic or emt?