Generational Gaps

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
In the context of this thread, it sounds like you're generalizing certain attitudes as being held by entire generations, which I don't think is accurate.

There's a lot of generalizing going on in this thread. To be fair to DragonClaw, she was asked a direct question by VentMonkey, and she answered it.

OP
OP
VentMonkey

VentMonkey

Family Guy
This is the most depressing thread I have ever seen on this site.
It certainly took quite the turn, which is fine, but it has answered more than enough to me.

Guess I’m just grateful I was raised by decent people in spite of their generations definition. I think @Peak eluded to this, and I’d agree:

It’s more about parenting in and of itself than the current generation. Just raise good people.

Maybe it’s my own fault, maybe I asked the wrong question, but regardless of age society sure seems “triggered” much easier now than before.

@DragonClaw your first reply was good enough, thanks.

@DrParasite made a good point about cleaning things up, only to turn around and complain about //shakes fist// those darn ingrates...

FWIW, I was born in 1980, wherever the hell that leaves me on the “gen scale”.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
It certainly took quite the turn, which is fine, but it has answered more than enough to me.

Guess I’m just grateful I was raised by decent people in spite of their generations definition. I think @Peak eluded to this, and I’d agree:

It’s more about parenting in and of itself than the current generation. Just raise good people.

Maybe it’s my own fault, maybe I asked the wrong question, but regardless of age society sure seems “triggered” much easier now than before.

@DragonClaw your first reply was good enough, thanks.

@DrParasite made a good point about cleaning things up, only to turn around and complain about //shakes fist// those darn ingrates...

I was born near that year as well.. We are actually a very specific generation that grew up playing outdoors and using our imagination, then saw the start of the internet while we were in high school and the rise of cell phones in our early 20s..

Technically members of gen-x, but some have separated it into it's own generation, the name of which escapes me..

OP
OP
VentMonkey

VentMonkey

Family Guy
.. We are actually a very specific generation that grew up playing outdoors and using our imagination, then saw the start of the internet while we were in high school and the rise of cell phones in our early 20s..
This sounds about right. I remember not even wanting a flip phone, haha.
Wait can I still answer the other questions or does this suffice?
I have no ban hammer.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
It’s upbringing. I got raised in/around EMS, the 90s-style Dysfunctional kind, with that attendant culture but also permission, with accountability and responsibility as the foundations. I work hard and turned out OK. My current “partner” is only five years younger than my elderly 31, but is a complete lazy loser failure, probably because he was never held accountable for anything.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Did I really call anyone an ingrate? I just said how we ALL need to treat each other better, we ALL complain about other generations, and if you want something, you need to work hard for it. Plus everything is cyclical, so we aren't the first generation to have generational issues, and we won't be the last.
According to the extensive research I did on this topic, you are a Millennial, or maybe an Elder Millennial if you like Iliza.......

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
tenor.gif

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
Just to reiterate on the importance of upbringing - my wife, who was born in ‘81, takes great offense to being called a millennial. She’s the youngest in a family of 6, with other 3 of her siblings being Gen X and baby boomer parents.

And to close this with an anecdote: I had a job recently, where I was to put up a vanity corner for a young girl some 16-17 y.o. She was very proactive with helping me where the help was needed, and we got to chit chat a bit. Despite growing up in a pretty wealthy family in a very well off neighborhood, she works a couple shifts a week in a See’s store, and had told me in no uncertain words that she is ashamed of her own generation.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
Just to reiterate on the importance of upbringing - my wife, who was born in ‘81, takes great offense to being called a millennial. She’s the youngest in a family of 6, with other 3 of her siblings being Gen X and baby boomer parents.

And to close this with an anecdote: I had a job recently, where I was to put up a vanity corner for a young girl some 16-17 y.o. She was very proactive with helping me where the help was needed, and we got to chit chat a bit. Despite growing up in a pretty wealthy family in a very well off neighborhood, she works a couple shifts a week in a See’s store, and had told me in no uncertain words that she is ashamed of her own generation.

Upbringing plays a part, for sure, but the within the last 10 or so years, our youth has access to something that no one else in history has ever had; Immediate access to a seemingly unlimited amount of information and people who will reaffirm any belief that they might have..

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
Upbringing plays a part, for sure, but the within the last 10 or so years, our youth has access to something that no one else in history has ever had; Immediate access to a seemingly unlimited amount of information and people who will reaffirm any belief that they might have..

That’s straight up Bauerlein’s alley, he wrote about it over a decade ago.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
For what it’s worth, I was born in 1970. The majority of the work force at my agency is much younger. I’ll admit, I find the work ethic and lack of responsibility of some to be disheartening.

I’m certainly not tossing all of the younger EMS providers into that bucket, we have many that have a very strong work ethic, are engaged and don’t present the same aura of entitlement… But those that do are a bit hard to take.

RocketMedic

Q nailed it: WORK. Earn respect. It’s not a given just because you got a trophy for losing a soccer game. Life doesn’t tolerate losers. Relying on mommy and daddy and the G to fund your lifestyle is just another example of an inability to be a productive member of society. So is relying on a piece of electronics to validate your life.

If WWII happened today, the US would lose...because the generations who would have to protect us aren’t interested in it nor able to function, except for a dwindling few here and there. They have no sense of Duty, Honor, or Country.

Today’s supposed enlightened youth are mostly a pathetic bunch of self centered entitled whiners, who can’t fight there way out of a wet paper bag. They have no clue about the world, politics, or life. They take all their directions from the same group they are in just because they shout louder or post inane memes on the Internet. They think they are astute, but they are just ignorant.

Ask them to validate a point and they turn red, throw a tantrum, then accuse people of being biased against one of the thousands of made up gender/ethic/lifestyle choices. They can’t even figure out if they are male or female. Hint: check the plumbing, it’s a start.

More than 3/4s of them don’t know history, nor think its relevant. They want to have a degree but get upset when they are told they have to memorize and learn things, then produce arguments to support them. They feel that they can get through life by GTS because it’s just as good as knowing it.

They can’t even change a flat tire. Smart cars aren’t smart, they are designed because today’s users can’t drive, they need others to do things for them.

If C19 hits, they will die off, not because of the disease, but because the machines that allow them to text/tweet/etc don’t function. And since that is life to them, they will not survive because nature abhors a vacuum.
Balderdash. This is quite literally the dumbest thing I’ve read today, and I’ve both heard my partner speak and seen Trumps twitter. Impressively stupid. Especially the “smart cars” bit. Because lane-keep assist is bad for American maturity and broken femurs build character.

RocketMedic

What, exactly, has “your generation” gone through that is any different from earlier generations?
Endless warfare, looming climate change, always-on social media, an economy that increasingly fails to provide opportunities for most...

RocketMedic

For what it’s worth, I was born in 1970. The majority of the work force at my agency is much younger. I’ll admit, I find the work ethic and lack of responsibility of some to be disheartening.

I’m certainly not tossing all of the younger EMS providers into that bucket, we have many that have a very strong work ethic, are engaged and don’t present the same aura of entitlement… But those that do are a bit hard to take.

I picked up the truck this morning from an early Gen X medic, in his late 40s. Oxygen depleted, batteries dead, filthy and smelly. They left. My somewhat younger late-millennial “partner” went to sleep after doing the bare minimum while complaining and watching YouTube as is his custom. I postulate that all of this “generational” crap is a hot barrel of malarkey and there isn’t anything to support it other than people being lazy and willfully ignorant because they’ve found they’re not held accountable.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I'm about to hit 80 hours for the week. I'll probably not have any off days this month. I'm trying to learn everything I can about the job. Eat, sleep, shower, work. Week 1.5 of no days off. I've already picked up 3 more shifts. I do the supervisor's paperwork after shift.

I forgot I'm supposed to be lazy, whiny, entitled, apathetic and a poor worker. 🤔

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I picked up the truck this morning from an early Gen X medic, in his late 40s. Oxygen depleted, batteries dead, filthy and smelly. They left. My somewhat younger late-millennial “partner” went to sleep after doing the bare minimum while complaining and watching YouTube as is his custom. I postulate that all of this “generational” crap is a hot barrel of malarkey and there isn’t anything to support it other than people being lazy and willfully ignorant because they’ve found they’re not held accountable.

I agree, mostly. I've had fellow boomers for partners who've done the same. It's easy to generalize about personality traits across entire generations, but not so easy to offer more than anecdotes to back up most of those generalizations.

Individuals either have character or lack it, no matter how old they are.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm about to hit 80 hours for the week. I'll probably not have any off days this month. I'm trying to learn everything I can about the job. Eat, sleep, shower, work. Week 1.5 of no days off. I've already picked up 3 more shifts. I do the supervisor's paperwork after shift.

I forgot I'm supposed to be lazy, whiny, entitled, apathetic and a poor worker. [emoji848]
You keep that schedule up and itll only be a matter of time.