Generational Gaps

FiremanMike

Just a dude
Our generation is upset because we can't even have human dignity without having "earned" it. So we'll just wait all the boomers out. The older gen can't win a war of attrition.

What is human dignity, in your mind? What amount of your definition of human dignity are you owed compared to what you must earn?

They don't see your struggles so they must not exist. Because you've survived whatever it is, individually, culturally, generationally and still manage a semblance of a life so your problems and issues you do have must come from you.

They don't care what you do, how hard you try, the progress you've made. "Because when I was your age"

Do you assume that the generation before you somehow had it easier? Do you assume that your generation is the only one to have struggles? While this self-centric worldview isn't unique to your generation, it certainly seems to be more pronounced in modern times than it was when I was younger..

And just so I understand, who is "they"?

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
I too, would like to know what is it exactly that the millennials have gone through.

I would guess that DragonClaw is not a Millennial.

Seirende

Everyone should state their generation so we're clear

I'm tail end of the Millennials

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I would guess that DragonClaw is not a Millennial.

I'm not. As previously stated.

I don't have any off days until April probably. I need to get a shower and get on shift.

But I will rehash this and answer questions when I've got a minute.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
I'm not. As previously stated.

I don't have any off days until April probably. I need to get a shower and get on shift.

But I will rehash this and answer questions when I've got a minute.

Then I will rephrase my second question..

What struggles do you see the current generation has that you didn't have?

Seirende

Then I will rephrase my second question..

What struggles do you see the current generation has that you didn't have?

What do you mean by "current generation"? Generation Alpha is the youngest currently.

Seirende

We're not all men here

Seirende

I forgot about gen x, I'll admit it

Last edited:

Seirende

I don't recall my generation creating a pejorative term for the generation above us, however..

This is what confused me, because gen x is the generation before mine and everyone just forgets about them. Nobody makes fun of gen x.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
This is what confused me, because gen x is the generation before mine and everyone just forgets about them. Nobody makes fun of gen x.
Yeah we do, literally any joke about how awful the 80's was is directed at them.

Ashamed to admit, "elder millenial"

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I was going to stay out of this, but......

I don't think it's unique to EMS; plenty of careers require you to work with someone from another generation. The only difference is EMS requires you to physically work next to the person, in the same vehicle for 12 hours, while others not so much.

We can talk about the failures of social media, the polarization of the political spectrum, everyone gets a trophy, the mass manipulation of the media (and yes, I'm talking about CNN, FoxNews, and MSNBC being the worse news manipulators), the rise in mass shootings and teen suicides, and the millennial who have become so stereotyped that the even the boomers are complaining about them, but the reality is, every generation thinks the previous generation sucks, and the next generation doesn't know anything. if you go back 100 years you can find references to the exact same thing happening. It happens with EVERY generation.

Want to simplify things? how about this: Hard work pays off. Some people get lucky (old money), but many people worked hard for where they are at. Some people are smart, some aren't; but you aren't owed anything, and if you work hard, in a field that is in demand, you should be compensated accordingly. And if you don't like your job, than either find another one, or get educated and find a new job. *****ing about it solves nothing. The previous generation sucks, so we will make things better for the next generation; only for them to think that we suck.

And for the record, respect is earned. Too many baby boomers forget that, and expect young people to instantly give them respect, while treating them like crap. and too many millennial forget that the old timers have forgotten more than than they have learned, and seen and done more in their lifetimes than the young kids have (at this point in their life), so you shouldn't ignore them just because they are old and want things to be as they were "back in the day."

I'm an Elder Millennial

DrParasite

Gen Z has taken to calling Gen X — once a mere bystander in the generational wars — the "Karen generation," as in Karen, the middle-aged white mom who is always asking for the manager and wondering why kids are so obsessed with their identities.

Karens are generally "privileged from the system the boomers set up for them and [are] now acting entitled and working against Gen Z," explained Julia, a 23-year-old in Norway. "They’re usually racist, homophobic, and transphobic, don’t believe in vaccines or climate change, and are mostly also the parents of Gen Z children."

DrParasite

For those who can't keep the generations clear:
names-of-generations-1435472_v31-5b48e0cec9e77c0037f56645.png

And for some more reading:

https://www.kasasa.com/articles/generations/gen-x-gen-y-gen-z <---- this one explains many common characteristics of the generations, as well as why they are like this