Gays in EMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

tickle me doe face

Forum Lieutenant
Does you service have any gay providers, and if so are any of them open about it?

And how do they effect the station/work dynamics?

Thanks bunches guys!

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes there are openly gay people at both of the services I've worked at.

No one cares.

Grow up.

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
My new partner (no jokes) that I start with this weekend is openly gay. Hes probably one of the most liked individuals at the job. Very good medic, and he makes work fun.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Two that I know of, and they're both amazing people and great providers. Work dynamics are the same, someones sexual orientation has no bearing on how well we work together, mostly because it doesn't matter. As long as they can do their job well then does it really matter who they're attracted to?

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Our response area has alot of gay/lesbians in the community. So naturally we have gay/lesbian in our workforce.

They are all very open about it. I honestly don't have a problem working with them. The ones in our service are extremely funny and smart. It's makes the shift go by fast.

Anjel

Forum Angel
I dont care. As long as you can do the job. There are a few openly homosexual people at my work place and everyone loves them.

If I don't like you it's not because of who you like to sleep with. (unless that person is my fiance. then we have problems) lol

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I dont care. As long as you can do the job. There are a few openly homosexual people at my work place and everyone loves them.

If I don't like you it's not because of who you like to sleep with. (unless that person is my fiance. then we have problems) lol

Exactly. Who you decide to sleep/ have a relationship with in no way should effect you as a provider.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Thanks Guys!

This makes me feel better about pursuing a career in EMS!

The EMS field has people from every walk of life in it. As long as you stay professional then there is usually not an issue.

Now there may be some people in the EMS field who refuse to accept people, but those people are found in ever career field. You just have to learn to deal with them.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Don't ever let something like that prevent you from pursuing a career you're passionate about. If you're good at your job and don't act like your sexual orientation makes you different, then nobody will care (usually). But if you act like being gay makes you worthy of some sort of different treatment (good or bad), then that's when workplace dynamics change.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Brown has worked with a number of openly gay Ambulance Officers, nobody cares

Mrs Brown likes to tease Brown that Brown is gay ... poor Brown :sad:

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
The op is right some people do care a lot. I work full time as a male flight attendant and while I am not gay, as you can imagine many of my co workers are. Even in an industry like the airline business where openly gay males have been a fixture since the 60's they still catch a lot of flack. You need only look back a few weeks for a news article about a pilots comments over an open mic to see just how much idiocy is still present regarding this issue. Up until a few years ago there were still pilots at my airline who would not shake hands with a male flight attendant. This is something that gays will face in almost every setting though and just like all minority groups the only way to change these attitudes is to do the job and do it well. In my limited experience with EMS though I have to admit the general attitude towards gays seems to be pretty good. I'm not sure what it's like in fire based services though.

McGoo

Forum Crew Member
There are gay people in our service, I don't know anyone that cares. I have never heard of a patient caring either, and if they do care enough to be rude about it, they probably don't really need EMS in the first place.

Look at the bonuses: opens up a whole new range of jokes; someone to help with pickup lines; if they like the same gender you do you can perve together...

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
What?!?!?! Gays in EMS??? It will NEVER happen! Never!

There is no way in the world a gay can do the same work or even better as a breeder...it is not possible.

(Sorry the thread was too polite with no controversy)

Which means this: People do NOT care, it is a non issue. Some people will care but those are same types of people who will care about color, fatness, skinniness, "abnormal" looks, etc etc.

I have a buddy who sleeps with fat girls. He loves them BIG, the bigger the better. His head will spin and drool will fly if a 300 pounder walks by but he wont even glance at what I consider a hottie.

I find his behavior disgusting and revolting as I can not see myself doing what he does...but that is what we are discussing here right? Our revulsion or issues with gays stem from the fact that we can only appreciate what we like ourselves and when we project that onto someone else who has different likings, we consider it weird or wrong. It is not wrong, it is only wrong for me.

Point is, we all have different tastes and flavors and who one chooses to have sex with is entirely irrelevant to the job they are hired to perform.

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
Things that I care about when it comes to coworkers (in no particular knowledge):

1) Knowledge
2) Skill
3) Attitude
4) Work ethics
5) Compatibility (important to a much lesser extent, but face it - not everyone is going to get along with each other)

Things I don't care about when it comes to coworkers:

1) Everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.