Gays in EMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I worked with a lesbian a few weeks ago, i didnt like it.

But i didnt like it because she was not very nice or competent, not because of her orientation.

Its just like everything else, some you will like some you wont. I wouldnt want to work with a lesbian who was hitting on me or talking about their sex life just like i wouldnt want to work with a straight guy who was hitting on me or talking about his sex life.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
I have a crush on Kevin McCloud. My wife thinks it's adorable.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
As long as openly gay does not mean violating sexual harassment policies.

Here are two examples of a gay, male EMT.....

Example of good openly gay: Hey, my boyfriend and I are going to the movies tonight to see Fried Green Tomatoes, do you want to come?

Example of bad openly gay: Hey, look at the butt on that medic from the other service. He sure is cute.

My FD is in the middle of a sexual harassment lawsuit so I am pretty sensitive to this right now. It was something similar to the second example (Except all players were hetero) that brought the suit.

So, I guess I would want to know what people mean by openly gay.

Last edited by a moderator:

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Example of good openly gay: Hey, my boyfriend and I are going to the movies tonight to see Fried Green Tomatoes, do you want to come?

Example of bad openly gay: Hey, look at the butt on that medic from the other service. He sure is cute.

And when your straight male coworker says: hey look at the butt on that female medic from xyz and you say, hell yeh, I would...

Or when your openly attractive lesbian partner says the same above quote and you respond the exact same way and even throw in a "thats hot"...

What do you make of it then?

mcdonl

Forum Captain
And when your straight male coworker says: hey look at the butt on that female medic from xyz and you say, hell yeh, I would...

Or when your openly attractive lesbian partner says the same above quote and you respond the exact same way and even throw in a "thats hot"...

What do you make of it then?

I just said, it is sexual harrasment. it happens everyday in EMS. It does not bother me, but lets say it were YOU who said that and your female partner took offense, you could be in trouble. Right?

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
I just said, it is sexual harrasment. it happens everyday in EMS. It does not bother me, but lets say it were YOU who said that and your female partner took offense, you could be in trouble. Right?

You have to feel out your partner. Some (male and female) have the same sense of humor as you, and some don't. Of they don't, oh well, just keep your mouth shut and laugh to yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Commonsavage

Forum Crew Member
Annnnnd.......

Does you service have any gay providers, and if so are any of them open about it?

And how do they effect the station/work dynamics?

Thanks bunches guys!

TMDF, you've gotten more responses than I was willing to read and, therefore, may have missed an explanation of your intent. Personally, this is a non-issue and often devisive. What is the purpose of your initial inquiry?

mcdonl

Forum Captain
TMDF, you've gotten more responses than I was willing to read and, therefore, may have missed an explanation of your intent. Personally, this is a non-issue and often devisive. What is the purpose of your initial inquiry?

He/She already answered... the OP indicated that the fact no one really cares made them feel better about entering a career in EMS.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
In straight EMS or a hospital setting, you're less likely to have issues.

You're more likely to have issues in a fire department, and how much trouble will probably vary by department. Some have a fairly tolerant culture, but unfortunately many are still very much good ol' boys clubs.

I don't know any openly gay firefighters. I do know several openly gay EMS providers and dispatchers. They've been in the field for a long time and don't seem to have any major problems.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
You're more likely to have issues in a fire department, and how much trouble will probably vary by department. Some have a fairly tolerant culture, but unfortunately many are still very much good ol' boys clubs.

I don't know any openly gay firefighters. I do know several openly gay EMS providers and dispatchers. They've been in the field for a long time and don't seem to have any major problems.

This. In my EMS jobs, I've known and worked with many gay males and females, and nobody ever had a problem. However, my FD has 1800 firefighters, and I don't know of a single one that's openly gay. Very much so a "good ol' boys" mentality in the fd.

Farmer2DO

Forum Captain
I've worked at the 2 commercial agencies in my city. One was not terribly accepting, overall of homosexuality. The other, where I am now, seems to be a safehaven for gay men and lesbians. We have what appears to be a significantly higher percentage than does the general population. Most of them are respected, competent providers. Some are excellent. The few that are not terribly well liked have personality issues that make them not likable, or are lazy.

Farmer2DO

Forum Captain
I see what you mean, about the fire department and the "good old boys" mentality. What I find interesting is that law enforcement doesn't seem to have the same stigma. Gay cops that are out, while perhaps not common, seem to be more so than firefighters. Just an observation.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
Yes, the fire service is certainly a different story.

I have to again go back to the term openly gay.

The fire service requires a certain amount of "toughness" - This can just as easily be exhibited by men and women of any sexual orientation... but if your openly gay in such as way that you portray yourself as a little soft it may be hard for your fellow FD members to have confidence in your physical and mental strength....

This guy....

missj.jpg

He may be a terrific firefighter, but I have a hard time thinking he will be composed and physically able to haul my 230 pound *** out of a fire.

Then again... I am a good 'ole boy....

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I've never cared about my partners sexual orientation.It doesn't affect anything. As long as everyone acts professional and mature it wont be a problem.

OP
OP
tickle me doe face

tickle me doe face

Forum Lieutenant
Openly gay doesn't mean that that person is "fruity" or flamboyant

Some openly gay men could easily carry a 230 pound man out of a fire.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
Openly gay doesn't mean that that person is "fruity" or flamboyant

Some openly gay men could easily carry a 230 pound man out of a fire.

I know, thats why I made the point that:

The fire service requires a certain amount of "toughness" - This can just as easily be exhibited by men and women of any sexual orientation... but if your openly gay in such as way that you portray yourself as a little soft it may be hard for your fellow FD members to have confidence in your physical and mental strength....

OP
OP
tickle me doe face

tickle me doe face

Forum Lieutenant
Yes, the fire service is certainly a different story.

I have to again go back to the term openly gay.

This guy....

missj.jpg

He may be a terrific firefighter, but I have a hard time thinking he will be composed and physically able to haul my 230 pound *** out of a fire.

Then again... I am a good 'ole boy....

What do you mean by the term "soft"?

That that person likes things that are considered girly?

If that is the operational definition that we are to employ, than should we not have confidence in neither the physical nor the mental abilities of female EMS or fire women?

The picture above seems to be a man of average build,and you seem to be basing your presumption on his capabilities, on your presumptions of his sexual orientation.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
What do you mean by the term "soft"?

That that person likes things that are considered girly?

If that is the operational definition that we are to employ, than should we not have confidence in neither the physical nor the mental abilities of female EMS or fire women?

The picture above seems to be a man of average build,and you seem to be basing your presumption on his capabilities, on your presumptions of his sexual orientation.

No, I am saying he looks and acts like a sissy. There I said it. Yeah, making judgments on his toughness all day long.

Status
Not open for further replies.