FP-C without a class...

FoleyArtist

More murse than medic now...
UMBC has a CCEMT-P class in San Diego in January.

IA Med is hosting a FP-C class in July of 2017 in Riverside (sounds like just a review of topics for the FP-C test).

oh i briefly saw umbc home site i thought they were just east coast based. thanks

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
UMBC has a CCEMT-P class in San Diego in January.

IA Med is hosting a FP-C class in July of 2017 in Riverside (sounds like just a review of topics for the FP-C test).
I really wasn't impressed by my CCEMTP class through UMBC but I've also heard they're very location dependent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

okcritmedic

Forum Ride Along
I took my CCEMT-P course about 2 1/2 years ago, in Roswell, NM. Like every class, I think instructor matters quite a bit. Mine was taught by a flight medic from Texas named Ken Davis. I found the class to be very challenging and informative. It was a full two week class. I took my first practice test before getting my first flight position and scored a 68%. I feel like I will be fairly confident going into the actual test after my internship at the flight service and additional study. Still deciding if I will take a review class before I test or not. I, too, have heard nothing but good things about Orchid's class.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I took my CCEMT-P course about 2 1/2 years ago, in Roswell, NM. Like every class, I think instructor matters quite a bit. Mine was taught by a flight medic from Texas named Ken Davis. I found the class to be very challenging and informative. It was a full two week class. I took my first practice test before getting my first flight position and scored a 68%. I feel like I will be fairly confident going into the actual test after my internship at the flight service and additional study. Still deciding if I will take a review class before I test or not. I, too, have heard nothing but good things about Orchid's class.
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about her class.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I really wasn't impressed by my CCEMTP class through UMBC but I've also heard they're very location dependent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I took mine at UMBC in Baltimore, it was death by power point for the most part. However, There was a cadaver lab which was cool and everyone who tested for the FP-C passed first time that I know. I just renewed my CCEMTP, I feel its worth maintaining.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I took mine at UMBC in Baltimore, it was death by power point for the most part. However, There was a cadaver lab which was cool and everyone who tested for the FP-C passed first time that I know. I just renewed my CCEMTP, I feel its worth maintaining.
How does one go about renewing your CCEMTP vs the FP-C?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I don't have an FP-C but from what I can see from the website the hours used for CCEMTP renewal should transfer over for FPC renewal as well. FP-C requires some additional things though https://www.ibscertifications.org/recert/recert-requirements such as 100 hours
Oh yes, I have my FP-C. I've been back and forth with the lady in charge of their CE requirements, but have yet to inquire if the two certs/ CE's were able to be type and crossed.

I have 96/100 for my next renewal and Orchids course should yield me well over the minimum required.

I just wondered if they were interchangeable, which I assumed they were, thanks though:).

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
It definitely sounds like they are. CCEMTP is sort of weird because its a certification from the University of Maryland Baltimore County which basically states you had some kind of beginners training in critical care transport. The University itself is the certification body as opposed to an accrediting licencing organization or governmental entity. Regardless, it still seems to pull weight from some employers in my experience.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

It really is highly location dependent. Some places have great instructors who have a lot of experience in critical care and manage to put on a really decent program despite the outdated material and death-by-powerpoint format. Other places have folks who've never worked in critical care read the slides to you and answer every question with a war story.

Fair enough. I thought about shooting for my CCEMTP endorsement. Are the CME's interchangeable with the ones for FP-C do you know off hand?

You seem to be a level where IMHO, you probably wouldn't get enough out of it to be worth your time and money. Unless perhaps you took it at a place that was known to put on an exceptional program. It's 80 hours of powerpoint slides covering basic critical care stuff......

I was always able to renew my FP-C and CCEMPT (and my CFRN and CCRN) with the same exact CEU's. In fact, IIRC, the FP-C renewal accepted a fresh CCEMTP recertification as complete fulfillment of the FP-C recent requirements. The last time I did this was probably 6 or so years ago, so that certainly may have changed.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
You seem to be a level where IMHO, you probably wouldn't get enough out of it to be worth your time and money. Unless perhaps you took it at a place that was known to put on an exceptional program. It's 80 hours of powerpoint slides covering basic critical care stuff......

I was always able to renew my FP-C and CCEMPT (and my CFRN and CCRN) with the same exact CEU's. In fact, IIRC, the FP-C renewal accepted a fresh CCEMTP recertification as complete fulfillment of the FP-C recent requirements. The last time I did this was probably 6 or so years ago, so that certainly may have changed.
Thanks, @Remi. Yeah I was a actually inquiring because I contemplated taking it for my next go round of FP-C CE's. I have enough con-ed now to recert which doesn't even expire for a couple of years.

I like to stay ahead of things, and (fingers crossed) hope by doing so it allows me enough room for other courses, and/ or my bachelors.

I know many on here advocate for just studying up and retaking the exam itself. While my method's obviously more costly, I just don't feel I would get the same "bang for my buck" so to speak. The added endorsement would just be a bonus.

I really do enjoy the advanced certification requirements CAMTS holds us to in all seriousness, though many aren't a fan of the IBSC/ FP-C propaganda, which I get.

Plus, if you don't use it, well you know the adage. I figure it wouldn't hurt to sit through one of these courses in a couple of years even if mainly as a refresher and network with some like minded folk.

Again, I appreciate the compliment and input.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
IMG_2166.JPG
I'm amazed that the Soviet Union had no flight-worthy helicopters.

Kenneth Young

Forum Ride Along
Find the ResQ Shop's videos, they are a great additional resource. During an actual hybrid class my classmates and myself used the videos to prepare for the tests more than the class material.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I am considering taking my CFRN soon without a class. I feel fairly well prepared from my orientation and the content is still fresh in my mind. Our orientation test was basically an old CFRN/FPC exam. I already have CCRN and CMC.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I am considering taking my CFRN soon without a class. I feel fairly well prepared from my orientation and the content is still fresh in my mind. Our orientation test was basically an old CFRN/FPC exam. I already have CCRN and CMC.
You'll have no problem. CCRN is harder.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
It sounds as though CAMTS may be requiring all RN's affiliated with them through their programs to be in possession of either/ or their CFRN/ CTRN certification soon enough.