first call of the day is...

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Called to a rural residence for a male with high blood pressure, a headache and a "Cath" that wasn't working.

Dispatch was prompted for additional information. They provided that the "Cath" was a foley catheter, and that the patient was a quadriplegic.

I suspected autonomic hyperreflexia. Neat.

On arrival patient had a BP of 180/110 (normally below 100 due to condition), was profusely diaphoretic and complaining of a headache. Catheter was indeed fully obstructed for at least 6 hours. The catheter was flushed, and symptoms resolved. Transported for a new catheter placement (old was was quite filthy).

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
18 F, playing a video game at home with boyfriend. She wins, he gets mad & stabs her in a thigh with a kitchen knife, 1-1.5” lac. Then he freaks out & calls 911. 4x4 and AMA’d with great prejudice.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
16 YOM, at the high school health office for a "fever" and ALOC... find out the kid (who looked all of 90lbs soaking wet) had smoked some CBD oil from a vape pen... his pupils looked like dinner plates, but he was A&Ox4, and EMS released the kid to his parents who were there

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
16 YOM, at the high school health office for a "fever" and ALOC... find out the kid (who looked all of 90lbs soaking wet) had smoked some CBD oil from a vape pen... his pupils looked like dinner plates, but he was A&Ox4, and EMS released the kid to his parents who were there

We have this crap all the time at HP High (pun intended). Asked the last one why’d he do it in school, he replied “because I was depressed.”

...[emoji1749]‍[emoji3603] palmface x10

Last edited:

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
First call was a priority 3 (no L&S) call to a nursing home for vomiting and constipation.

60s year old female seated in a wheelchair chair at the nurses station. Apparently it started several days ago, but no one can confirm because they "haven't been there".

Heart rate was 130-150, AFib. RR 40, SPO2 95% on 3L, ETCO2 15, BP 150/90, WBC 23k.

So she got alerted.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
It's always the other shifts fault, the one that just got off and the staffer there just relieved...even at 9:13pm...

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
My last call was Nov 28...

Reactions: NPO

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
It's always the other shifts fault, the one that just got off and the staffer there just relieved...even at 9:13pm...
My partner got in trouble one time for getting mad at a nurse who gave the shift change excuse. He said "How many times a day do you do shift change? Do you work 2 hour shifts?"

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Second call:
Drunk guy jumped in the very cold river. We've got warm IV fluids and self-activated heat blankets, so we got to do active warming. Neat. 88* when we pulled him out, 97.8 when we got to the ER.

Also, first time I've gotten to use my PFD lol.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
First call of today's shift: elderly (80s yo) F diabetic with low sugar. Low, as in that's what the Glucometer read, which reads as low as 25mg/dl, so hers was lower than that...

Altered, responsive only to pain, skin slightly flushed, cool and damp, extremely thread radial and brachial pulses, could barely feel them, rate at 110, O2 sat 95%, respirations 12 and a lil shallow, pupils sluggish and dialated, BP was 112 over something, temp was low, 94.6°F. All we could do as sub-BLS first responders Fire was put her on O2 (12 LPM via NRB) for borderline low sat and altered and wait for EMS (who was only a couple min behind us). They have D50 and she woke up enough to walk (with assistance) to the gurney, got her into the ambulance, and EMS said thanks for the assistance, and we cleared the call lol

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
Called to local group home for male resident with bruise on back, unknown cause by staff and patient. Staff report bruise noted 4 days prior. House manager returned after vacation and reports the patient should have been sent out 4 days prior when noticed. Requesting 911 transport now, stating “its the law.”

Reactions: NPO

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Called to local group home for male resident with bruise on back, unknown cause by staff and patient. Staff report bruise noted 4 days prior. House manager returned after vacation and reports the patient should have been sent out 4 days prior when noticed. Requesting 911 transport now, stating “its the law.”
ITS THE LAW

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
First call: 2 alarm structure fire. Set up rehab. No transports.
IMG_20181213_224002-01.jpeg

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
I wish it was the law because then when we arrive at the ED I have something to pass along to staff, instead of them standing and looking puzzled.

ITS THE LAW

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I wish it was the law because then when we arrive at the ED I have something to pass along to staff, instead of them standing and looking puzzled.
Once, when asked "Why did you bring them here" (as if we have a choice) a coworker told the nurse "Because McDonald's was on divert."

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
Once, when asked "Why did you bring them here" (as if we have a choice) a coworker told the nurse "Because McDonald's was on divert."

My response was closer to “because the staff are just stupid as....” I certainly made her understand how I felt. However, I do certainly like your response as well.

Lo2w

Forum Captain

We were in the middle of working a code at the nursing home and got the classic, "I don't know, its not my patient" line when we asked for history.