first call of the day is...

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Amio drip kept him stable for a few hours until he was transferred, don't know the outcome.

Most dialysis patients, especially pre-dialysis, are pretty hyperkalemic. A gram or two of calcium goes a long way. Amiodarone slows down the calcium-channel pumps and makes a little last "longer" in the cell, but it's not so much fixing the problem as it is making the temporary repair last a little longer.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Previous crew of the other unit at our station was at a structure fire standby. Rather than have us new crew my unit go relieve them, dispatch in it's infinite wisdom decided to have us shuttle the oncoming crew of that unit into our rig and the 4 of us go down, they'd relieve the off going crew and we'd shuttle them back to station....somehow that made more sense.....)....but as soon as we get on air, not even a block away they get cleared off that fire and start returning so we basically drove around in a big circle with 4 guys in one ambulance lol

An hour or so later we caught a street corner post (from our station) 2 cities over for coverage before catching our first real call of the day, unconscious. Turned out to be a diabetic with low blood sugar (20 something), only responsive to painful stimuli, couldn't get a line started so they pushed Glucagon IM and we transported to the hospital where he was still altered on arrival there.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
19 y.o. s/p mva (motorcycle vs auto). Positive helmet, no head trauma/intact neurology, multiple abrasions/avulsions upper + lower extremities, the works. Treated on scene, refused transport, fire cancelled by PD, AMA'd. Response time to clear time = 17 min flat.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Standard ALS transfer...easy monies.

OP
OP
titmouse

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
52 yom s/p head on collision, pretty brutal car devastation (incredible engineering feat though). no neck/back pain to palpation with no deformities. C/C left knee pain. Still scored himself a backboard and c-collar ride to the ER.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
52 yom s/p head on collision, pretty brutal car devastation (incredible engineering feat though). no neck/back pain to palpation with no deformities. C/C left knee pain. Still scored himself a backboard and c-collar ride to the ER.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
If I was in a wreck and had no pain in my neck or back and somebody tried to board and collar me, I would lose my mind.
He's combative and speaking nonsense, he must have a head injury. We need full c-spine and bilateral large bore IVs with the bag wide open.

- Every firefighter

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
I work in two systems; one has a very progressive SMR policy and the other does not. While there are provisions for modified C-spine in the latter, I find myself constantly running into a (still) strongly pro-backboard culture; as a CYA measure (if nothing else).

I have cringed several times as people who technically meet trauma criteria (by mechanism only) are subjected to straps, a board and bilateral IVs when a simple ride to a local hospital (or even an refusal) is one phone call away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Worked at our race track yesterday for a motorcycle race (well 15 different races). Total of 8 riders all going down at speeds of 80-120mph with no injuries.

The only actual call I had was a dehydration. Walked up to us before his final race. Pop a line in and a fluid bolus followed by an AMA.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Heroin OD. Narcan for the win.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Cardiac arrest. Witnessed collapse at home but no family CPR, first engine on scene <6min, ALS on scene prior to our arrival, PT in asystole, worked him up, 3x epi, 1xBiCarb, pt went into fine V-Fib, shocked twice, base wanted us to go ahead and transport to their STEMI Center (w/out ROSC bleh, though maybe 4-5 min from transport to pt on hospital bed) worked him up there for like 20 more min, still asystole, before they called it.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
AIDS/cancer patient with the flu followed by a syncopal episode at a grocery store, followed by a stroke at a SNF.