first call of the day is...

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
Still alarmed a seizure on my day off. Walking up to the DMV, saw a guy on the ground in full body convulsions. My first thought walking up was "Oh (word moderators wont like)!" followed almost immediately by "Really? Another seizure, my first two calls the other day were both seizures!). I didn't really actually physically do much....911 was already called and security was there, but everyone was kind of freaking out so I did find myself coaching them through "Hey relax, just keep the guy from cracking his head open on the concrete until the medics get here" "You know CPR? Awesome, but he's still breathing so...." "No, please don't shove that paper towel in the guys mouth, sure you can use it to wipe up some of the spit and drool, but if you shove it in the mouth you'll block the airway and then we'll need to find the CPR guy..." Fire and medics show up a few minutes later, tell them what I witnessed and otherwise let them do their thing. I was feeling much more like a backseat driving lookie loo lol but the DMV staff were acting like me and this other guy (the guy who actually was keeping the guy's head from cracking open on the concrete) resuscitated him from a cardiac arrest, so as soon as we gave a report to fire, DMV took us straight to the window...so that was nice lol

Happened just like that.

Angel

Paramedic
had an almost 3 hour LDT...one way...
my coworkers had code 3 after code 3
(CPAP, hypoglycemic and bradycardia, CPR)
and.... we got sent out of town again.

i really wanted a critical call, but got to spend 9 hours driving instead

Sunburn

Forum Crew Member
I got low sat patient in a nursing home. Pretty neglected patients, shame :(

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Our favorite diabetic patient. Calls about once a day. No good veins left (even EJ) both legs have been fractured from multiple IOs. Glucagon doesn't work every time. All we can do for him is give him glucagon and transport. So far this year he has been to the ED more than 45 times .

Last edited:

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Our favorite diabetic patient. Calls about once a day. No good veins left (even EJ) both legs have been fractured from multiple IOs. Glucagon doesn't work every time. All we can do for him is give him glucagon and transport. So far this year he has been to the ED more than 45 times .
He got a hair cut!

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Called for a fall, found a man in the snow who was not injured and appeared to be in good help. Man said he did not want to risk getting up on his own, unsure what risk he was referring to. Notice the lack of the word "patient."

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
What an amazing shift... Two super BLS calls I could turf to my partner followed by a long, long nap for the rest of the shift. Amazing.

Angel

Paramedic
I've always hated waking up before 8! Now I work a lot of graves so I hate it even more lol
Boston must be awesome to live in though!

Burritomedic1127

Forum Captain
I've always hated waking up before 8! Now I work a lot of graves so I hate it even more lol
Boston must be awesome to live in though!
Boston is a great city just in small doses ha. Personally, i need to be more near mountains/water. The complete opposite of the concrete jungle at work.

Working graves you have plenty of time for sleep the next day

Burritomedic1127

Forum Captain
I knew posting about breakfast this morning was going to backfire... first 3 calls were 15 month old respiratory difficulties, stroke within timeframe, and a fall from a roof with LOC. Might as well as just said its going to be a nice and quiet shift

Leatherpuke

Forum Crew Member
I'll post my last three shifts, I work 24's.

Shift 1: Grandma fell down went boom, bruised hip. Only call for 24 hours.

shift 2: 24 hours with no calls.

Shift 3: Two hour round trip transfer for a 76 y/o female with CHF, A-FIB, Diabetes, and cardiomyopathy. Only call for 24 hours.

I love my job.