first call of the day is...

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Motorcycle rider down at ~80mph. Non injury.
Lucky. I had a patient a while back who suffered an ultimately-fatal head injury at 60ish when he took his new sport bike out and wheelied to show off to his family. Saddest part was his full riding kit draped across his old bike. Would likely have turned a severe trauma into a "meh".

Diabetic seizure with a hx of brain cancer. BS was 497. Followed by 2 month old resp arrest, updated to CPR in progress, to find a perfect infant laughing and smiling at EMS on scene. The best call right there
Indeed. I love those.

I had a decent stroke last shift-25 minute onset, incontinence, aphasia, confusion and agitation with slight weakness to left leg and right arm. Pressure 230/100, glucose 104, atrial fibrillation. Initial NIH 14, transported to stroke center. We ended up transporting her later in the shift to an available ICU, thrombolytics reduced her NIH to 2 and she was only confused as to what had happened. Made me feel great.

WildlandEMT89

Forum Lieutenant
First call of last shift was a adult code. No ROSC unfortunately.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Little old lady, slip and fall, non injury, just wanted us to help her get back up. Once we got her up and to her walker, she was moving around the house better than some other people I've seen without one lol

Next call was our first actual patient we transported, 2 year old boy with a rather painful 2* degree burn injury after spilling a mug of hot tea on himself. Our medics estimated 16% burn area, base sent us past the local hospital (whose ER is county approved for pediatric patients) to Children's Hospital

OP
OP
titmouse

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
MRI appointment

Burritomedic1127

Forum Captain
Dispatched to the unresponsive at a hospice nursing home. Pt was responsive, valid DNR, health care proxy pissed EMS/FD is there, and 3 workers who barely speak English. Wonder where the problem started....?

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Old lady head lac.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
This was on sunday.

Auto-ped on a road that speeds are usually between 50-60mph. Never seen so many deformities.

Apple Bill

Forum Crew Member
Last shift, it was...nothing. Seriously went 12 hours with no calls. Same for the other crew at our station. Never happens. Full night's sleep, I woke up in the morning worried I'd slept through something.

TechMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Lift assist an hour away for a 500+lbs patient to and from a doctor's office...on a manual stretcher

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Major fall (due to reported head injury) a few blocks away, gave the guy a bandaid and cold pack for the scratch on his forehead and he ambled away refusing to let us do anything else, even take a set of vitals.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Lift assist an hour away for a 500+lbs patient to and from a doctor's office...on a manual stretcher

I worked a bariatric car in Boston for a few weeks every now and again. Manual stretcher of course in a Type II. And a lift assist was not automatically dispatched which was pretty much the worst. If the patient needs the "wheelbarrow" (not PC, oh well), he probably needs a lift assist.

First call yesterday was for a drunk who wanted to get help for his alcoholism. Which is great except that it was the fourth time I'd transported him in 72 hours...

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
I worked a bariatric car in Boston for a few weeks every now and again. Manual stretcher of course in a Type II. And a lift assist was not automatically dispatched which was pretty much the worst. If the patient needs the "wheelbarrow" (not PC, oh well), he probably needs a lift assist.

Sounds familiar. "B" is the first letter of that company lol.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
And it rhymes with rooster. I have fond memories of being forced to lie down on the bench seat to get a BP since the patient took up every inch of the space between the bench and cot due to the "wings" being extended off the LBS cot. Awful.

That call was a 6 hour wait and return from Brockton to the BI with a 550 pound individual with a dislodged colostomy bag. I almost quit. Happily the patient sent a thank you for our "professionalism" and George bought us lunch.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Called to a local homeless shelter for an assult. No patient was found.

2nd call was for a TC/MVC involving a car and a city bus. 2 injuries, they both signed out AMA.

3rd call was for a possible DOA. Fire made it on scene and called it. We were stuck at the entrance gate to the apartment complex waiting for fire to come and unlock it.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Still alarmed a seizure on my day off. Walking up to the DMV, saw a guy on the ground in full body convulsions. My first thought walking up was "Oh (word moderators wont like)!" followed almost immediately by "Really? Another seizure, my first two calls the other day were both seizures!). I didn't really actually physically do much....911 was already called and security was there, but everyone was kind of freaking out so I did find myself coaching them through "Hey relax, just keep the guy from cracking his head open on the concrete until the medics get here" "You know CPR? Awesome, but he's still breathing so...." "No, please don't shove that paper towel in the guys mouth, sure you can use it to wipe up some of the spit and drool, but if you shove it in the mouth you'll block the airway and then we'll need to find the CPR guy..." Fire and medics show up a few minutes later, tell them what I witnessed and otherwise let them do their thing. I was feeling much more like a backseat driving lookie loo lol but the DMV staff were acting like me and this other guy (the guy who actually was keeping the guy's head from cracking open on the concrete) resuscitated him from a cardiac arrest, so as soon as we gave a report to fire, DMV took us straight to the window...so that was nice lol