Epiglottitis?

MattCA

Forum Crew Member
My girlfriend has been sick lately and seems to be progressing lately. She has a temp of 100.8, aches, headache, drooling and most importantly difficulty breathing. Her mom is really against doctors, drugs, etc. so its difficult just to sit here. I think were finally going to go to the ER though. Any guesses? What can I do? I've just been monitoring her airway. I was thinking about getting some Ibuprofen and Benadryl for a possible allergic reaction.

Last edited by a moderator:

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I think if you are concerned, you need to get her to a doctor, regardless of how she or her family feels about them.

No one here will or should give you any advice other than what I just said.

OP
OP
MattCA

MattCA

Forum Crew Member
Ya Im talking to her about going to the ER.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
How old is she? Time for her to learn to be well.

R/r 91

FF894

Forum Captain
18 = adult = see doctor when sick = go now

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
If she is experiencing difficulty in breathing, then you need to go to the Emergency Room. This is coming from someone who hasn't been to a doctor in forever and hates the hospital. I hate abuse of EMS and Emergency Room services, but difficulty breathing is an ER thing.

Go, now.

OP
OP
MattCA

MattCA

Forum Crew Member
It seems like she has episodes of it. She breathes fine than she say her "throat contracts" and its really hard to breath. I know I want to take her to the ER but her mom is totally against medicine and non organic food and she is to but not as extreme. She's worried about waiting in the ER, I would think she would be in rather quickly though. There was one point where EMS seemed like a good idea. Im all for it, its just them. (stubbron women)

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
Still wont go. Herbs will cure it!

cant fix stupid

edit: dont call ems for her if she doesnt want it. theres nothign i hate more than third party call ins for uncooperative patients. if she doesnt want to go, fine. vent is right(as usual) you can breath well enough to argue it with you and this has been going on for hours. if she wants to treat it with holistic "medicine", let her. me personally, this type of ridiculousness would have me searching for a new g/f but thats just me.........

VentMedic

Forum Chief
She can breathe well enough to argue about this with you? For the past 2.5 hours since your first post?

Would she continue refusing in the ED or if EMS was called?

tydek07

Forum Captain
She should go into the ER, if she doesn't want to do that... tell her the risks. If that doesn't work, tell her to at least go see her regular doctor (but, the way you describe her, she probably doesn't have one of those)... Any way, if she is having trouble breathing, its kinda important to be scene by a doc. ;)

But, I guess at the end, its her decision... hope she makes the right decision before its too late.

Take Care,

tydek07

Forum Captain
"KEVD18
edit: dont call ems for her if she doesnt want it. theres nothign i hate more than third party call ins for uncooperative patients.
"

AMEN to that ^_^

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Sorry, but time for you and her (family) to awaken! Life is NOT about what you want, would like, or pretend for it to be.

Her mom is against traditional medicine, so be it. Your girlfriend is 18, she is one that would have to make the decision of going or not going (not even you). If she is really sick enough, then she will go in and be treated or get more ill... again, her educated choice.

Personally, I would not be to attached to anyone that has such unrealistic ideas. Sure, organic and herbal (alternative) has its place in treatment, but again alike with other medication and treatments, it also has its limits.

Personally, if she has been ill for a while she can see a PCP. Maybe strep or similar, epiglottitis is rare in adults. A few days of general antibiotic would treat and cure, then again its her body and her decision to remain to be ill.

R/r 911

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I'm not playing blind mans's diagnosis.

Quit playing games and get her in, or let her go her own way. Or can we bill by the minute?<_<

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Herbal and non-traditional medicine can be very helpful in many situations. I personally eat organic food, most of it raised either by myself or locally. I treat myself and my family PRIMARILY with homeopathic and herbal remedies. I raised two boys attending public schools by this method and they missed less school due to illness than their more traditionaly treated school mates, because they have active, healthy immune systems.

HOWEVER There is a point where you need to break out the big guns. When an infection is not being defeated by your immune system, you need antibiotics. Most homeopathic, herbal health practitioners recognize that the point of the non-traditional methods is to avoid OVER-USE of antibiotics, not that they are never called for. As a matter of fact, the fact that you don't overuse antibiotics makes you more likely to respond to them when they are needed.

So, let's not assume that all those who practice the non-traditional healthcare methods are a bunch of crackpots who are putting their lives in danger. Taking anything to an extreme is bad. As was most beautifully put in the words of St. Augustine.. "Moderation in all things, including abstinance"

OP
OP
MattCA

MattCA

Forum Crew Member
I agree with bossycow. Probably not even that much. Anyways. I forgot when I posted but I think what happened was she started feeling better and was out and around the next day. I took her to my work christmas party and she started feeling sick. We got home and she was in total pain so we went to her house and it got worse. A cold towel on her head seemed to help and it was bearable. Than I guess that night she woke up in pain and kept telling her mom she wanted to go to the ER. But like I said her mom is against it. I got a text at 6am the next day saying that she was going in. So I call her and head over there. Shes in the ER and they take her in in a couple of minutes. Start an IV and give her an opioid blocker thats stronger than heroin, and I dont know what else. A steroid...and I think maybe some other thing. Took her to go get a CT scan and blood tests and ruled out mono, mumps, meningitis, and absest. Admitted her and started her on two drugs via IV at first, than I think just one after. Sorry didnt get the names of them. One started with a "C" is all I remember. So the got her a room and ran the drugs and I think shes getting pill and probably just left as Im typing this. So I will see her soon.

Its not my girlfriend who is against medical stuff, somewhat, but it is her mom. I know the decision is up to her but she still lives under her moms house and needed her help and stuff.