EMTLife Announces Premium Memberships

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I remember when a certain other site started asking for donations from it's loyal following to help improve/upgrade services with all kinds of perks bestowed upon those who did so.

Then soon after general membership was toyed with.

All of this was met with resounding indignation including affirmation from this site that no fees would ever be imposed.

While this is a voluntary action at this time for those who can to do so and enjoy a perk or two, it is a slippery slope once you start. History and the accurate documentation and recall of it can be your friend.

From 2004-2011 EMTLife was ad-free with all active members enjoying equal access to features. We took pride in our open access to information, ad-free experience, and for our fierce commitment to remain independent and free. The forum has been, and always will be, advertising-free for members.

Running EMTLife costs money. Like most running websites, I found the start-up costs to be nominal. As the site has grown, especially within the past two years, expenses have increased.
In 2012 EMTLife guests began seeing advertising when browsing the forum. For the first time in the site's history the site is bringing in income to help offset costs.

I don't know what happened with the other community because I'm not an active member there. I do know that we've never required users to register to view forum content and that we've never taken features away from our users. The features added with Premium Membership are available to enhance the EMTLife experience.

If you notice a change in the community because of Premium Memberships, or have seen something happen at another community, please PM me and let me know.

While I don't like change and I don't like the idea of elevating some members above others, I hope that members see Premium Membership as an opportunity to support our community.

For the first time members can request username changes, have a longer period of time to edit their posts, and have increased PM storage capacity.

Memberships are set as one-time payments, and we'll evaluate whether they're a worthwhile feature as we move forward. If you ever notice a degradation of features or a change in the community spirit/mood please let me know.

Best,

Achilles

Forum Moron
What about an lifetime membership? :)

Anjel

Forum Angel
Last edited by a moderator:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Whaaaa????? I thought you could never ever ever change your user name!!!???

Totally made my day.

You couldn't ... until today. It is our holiday present to our members.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Given that we are now allowing members to request that their username be changed, we'd like to ask the following...

If you do request a name change, keep in mind that our members have gotten to know you by your original name. If you change it to something drastically different, it will cause some minor difficulties with everyone else.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Given that we are now allowing members to request that their username be changed, we'd like to ask the following...

If you do request a name change, keep in mind that our members have gotten to know you by your original name. If you change it to something drastically different, it will cause some minor difficulties with everyone else.

I am liking that a few people are changing to their first name. It adds a friendlier "Cheers" type of feel to the forum :wub:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Can we pay extra for infraction immunity? Or Premium+ should come with a Get out of Jail (Ban) Free card
Funny thing - we actually joked about this earlier this evening.

It's covered in he FAQ that you don't get special privileges. This has been a common trend in sites I've seen with paid supporting memberships. We don't want to start a two-tiered punishment system. As it is - ours is quite fair. You usually have to try pretty hard to get a ban.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I am liking that a few people are changing to their first name. It adds a friendlier "Cheers" type of feel to the forum :wub:

Tried to change mine to Rob but it wont let me :(

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Funny thing - we actually joked about this earlier this evening.

It's covered in he FAQ that you don't get special privileges. This has been a common trend in sites I've seen with paid supporting memberships. We don't want to start a two-tiered punishment system. As it is - ours is quite fair. You usually have to try pretty hard to get a ban.

What's even funnier is that we used the same phrase of "Get out of jail free" card.

:rofl:

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
What's even funnier is that we used the same phrase of "Get out of jail free" card.

:rofl:

Maybe it is just a coincidence many of the premium members are also the :censored::censored::censored::censored: disturbers of the forum

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Maybe it is just a coincidence many of the premium members are also the :censored::censored::censored::censored: disturbers of the forum

Not even close...

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Lies. I've never seen them.

You could always be MedicRob.... Oh. Wait. Never mind. Forget I said that.

Sadly there are many names where someone signed up and then has barely, if ever, posted. It's a bummer, but we can't do anything about it.

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief

Sadly there are many names where someone signed up and then has barely, if ever, posted. It's a bummer, but we can't do anything about it.

You could always do a member prune.

Send an email to anyone who hasn't logged in within the last year and has less than 10 posts. If they don't log in within 30 days, delete the account.

Achilles

Forum Moron
You could always do a member prune.

Send an email to anyone who hasn't logged in within the last year and has less than 10 posts. If they don't log in within 30 days, delete the account.

Huh?!
Great minds think alike!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

Bummer.

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief

sad-sloth-meme-generator-dude-bummer-man-266890.jpg