EMT Held Against His Will in Maine

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
EMT Held Against His Will in Maine

ROCKLAND, Maine — A 27-year-old Rockland man suspected of being under the influence of bath salts was arrested Friday afternoon and charged with holding a Rockland emergency medical technician against his will.

Read more!

Are bath salts still big?

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Thankfully the outcome was positive and apparently quick for the EMT.

Bath salts/K2/Spice are still big here. I've had 2 patients in the last 3 weeks that used it. Cheap way to get high.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
bath salts are Still a big problem in Maine.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Bath salts/K2/Spice are still big here.

Just a quick note. Bath salts are a form of meth while K2 and Spice are forms of synthetic marijuana. They are not the same thing.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Just a quick note. Bath salts are a form of meth while K2 and Spice are forms of synthetic marijuana. They are not the same thing.

Im aware they arent the same. I was more mentioning that we are seeing alot of these nontraditional drugs still.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

BUt I see a lot of meth like symptoms w/ spice... IT's kinda odd. I keep telling my spice patients I'd much prefer them to smoke the real stuff.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
BUt I see a lot of meth like symptoms w/ spice... IT's kinda odd. I keep telling my spice patients I'd much prefer them to smoke the real stuff.
Same here.

Had a patient 2 weeks ago that used spice and was acting like a meth ingestion. I'd much rather they use the real stuff- we know what to expect with the real stuff

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I'd imagine a lot of this is because we don't know what kind of adulterants or "extras" are in these random batches of K2 or spice. It seems to vary tremendously patient to patient.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Are bath salts still big?
absolutely. I attended the EMSworld conference in DC, and one of the presenters (a toxicologist from one of the Va hospitals) gave an hour long presentation on them.

Also of interest was how he (as an ER attending and toxicologist) wanted bath salts cases handled in the field vs how we typically handle them in the field

Walter Sobchak

Forum Probie
Maine is the last state (as far as i know ) where "bath salts" are legal. also, north west Maine is akin to the hollows of WV/KY......serious hill billy/white trash enclave.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Also of interest was how he (as an ER attending and toxicologist) wanted bath salts cases handled in the field vs how we typically handle them in the field

What were his recommendations?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
pretty much if you get a violent EDP who you suspect is on bath salts (or PCP since the signs were very similar), they should immediately get RSIed in the field. The justification is that's what they will be doing in the ER, before they get admitted to the ICU for specialized monitoring (especially when you learn the long term effects on the brain of bath salts, scary stuff).

Since we currently have the cops tackle said violent offender, handcuff him, and then handcuff said kicking and fighting individual to the stretcher, and transport him to the ER with a BLS crew, it was definitely a different way of thinking.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
Bath salt capital of the country, or so they say.

EMT B

Forum Captain
What do they expect you to do when you can't get the tube in after pushing your succs and versed (or whatever cocktail you use)?

Also anything north of Agusta is "hick land" in Maine.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
What do they expect you to do when you can't get the tube in after pushing your succs and versed (or whatever cocktail you use)?

Also anything north of Agusta is "hick land" in Maine.

I have had a number of bath salts pts. In Maine we don't have RSI we sedate them with versed. In my last PHTLS class in Bangor a few weeks ago... we were told the intubation success rate in Maine was like 70%... scary stuff

And anything north of Bangor = here be dragons

Last edited by a moderator:

EMT B

Forum Captain
I have had a number of bath salts pts. In Maine we don't have RSI we sedate them with versed. In my last PHTLS class in Bangor a few weeks ago... we were told the intubation success rate in Maine was like 70%... scary stuff

And anything north of Bangor = here be dragons

I understand we dont have RSI in Maine. Im not really a fan of RSI. im just making the point of what are you going to do if you cant get the tube? Cric in a non sterile environment?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I understand we dont have RSI in Maine. Im not really a fan of RSI. im just making the point of what are you going to do if you cant get the tube? Cric in a non sterile environment?

If I'm going to Cric somebody, it's typically a non sterile environment. :/ And why aren't you a fan of RSI? When the program is administered correctly with stringent QA/QI, it's not an issue. Although, with a statewide 70% success rate I'd not be keen on RSI either.

EMT B

Forum Captain
If I'm going to Cric somebody, it's typically a non sterile environment. :/ And why aren't you a fan of RSI? When the program is administered correctly with stringent QA/QI, it's not an issue. Although, with a statewide 70% success rate I'd not be keen on RSI either.

That's my point. They are sedated and paralyzed and because you can't get the tube you have very few options in terms of airway management.