EMT-B Students!!!

tyler500e

Forum Probie
I'm 23 years old and I just started my EMT-B course last wednesday. It's a 9-credit course that meets 3 days a week for 3.5 hours each day. I have already taken First Responder and A+P. I plan to take a course on EKG Recognition in the fall and start Medic School in the spring of next year.

OP
OP
EMTCop86

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
I'm 35 and about half way through my course now. It started in Sept and ends in June. We get a quiz every class, but only 4 written exams that actually count toward our final grade (we've had 2 so far). We also have our final practical exam in June.

We get a quiz every week that counts towards our final grade along with a midterm and a final. Not to mention the skills test and papers we have to write which also count. 80% on everything or you get dropped!

apagea99

Forum Lieutenant
We get a quiz every week that counts towards our final grade along with a midterm and a final. Not to mention the skills test and papers we have to write which also count. 80% on everything or you get dropped!

Yeah, 80% required here as well. We've lost 5 or 6 people out of 24 so far. Fewer people make it a lot easier to work through the skills and get more 1 on 1 help lol :D

tatersalad

Forum Crew Member
80% here as well. We'll see tomorrow night how many are back after test # 1, and next week after #2. We started with 40, should be interesting.

medic417

The Truth Provider
I'm 23 years old and I just started my EMT-B course last wednesday. It's a 9-credit course that meets 3 days a week for 3.5 hours each day. I have already taken First Responder and A+P. I plan to take a course on EKG Recognition in the fall and start Medic School in the spring of next year.

Way to go. Get that education. Education will benefit you and your patients much more than if you remained at the basic level. Keep up the hard work.

Mr12v

Forum Ride Along
I'm 29 years old and start my EMT-B course on the 31st of March. Going to get finger printed and a physical today. Our class schedule is Tuesdays and Thursdays 6-10pm for 19 weeks.

OP
OP
EMTCop86

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
Had class tonight, went over human anatomy, patient movement, and airway. Pretty basic stuff, the airway stuff was easy for me because of my previous MFR training. One thing I thought was really funny and had to share...There is a printout of the human skeleton and we need to name the main 27 bones of the body. Well our teacher brought in this paper of a student from last semester and he only labeled like 5 bones. The funny thing though is he labeled the pelvic bone as the "splene" bone. Obviously there is not SPLEEN bone and to add to it he didn't even spell spleen right. So yea that guy didn't last.

Oh BTW got a 23 out of 25 on my quiz, second highest in the class but the highest score is a repeat student so that doesn't really count, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

rogersam5

Forum Crew Member
Had class tonight, went over human anatomy, patient movement, and airway. Pretty basic stuff, the airway stuff was easy for me because of my previous MFR training.

Sounds like exactly my situation....

I did "learn" somthing though...

Did you know you can live without any intestines? Apparently they arn't as important as I though they were, Yeah i knew you could live without parts of them but not without them completly.... You know where the body actully get the nutriants from the food... I guess you could have nutriants given to you... but I hardly consider that to be a normal life...

And who knew that the liver doesn't grow back... aparently when you donate part of your liver you are stuck with half a liver now... I always though that as long as you had a healthy liver you only needed 25ish% of it for it to regenerate to be a full sized liver...

also, the speen, "Is a very hard organ and doesn't take damage easily...." (after abit more of lecture) "The spleen ruptures fairly easily, and it is a common injury to see in a Trauma" ... huh....

I remember there being more but forgot them..

OP
OP
EMTCop86

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
Did you know you can live without any intestines? Apparently they arn't as important as I though they were, Yeah i knew you could live without parts of them but not without them completly.... You know where the body actully get the nutriants from the food... I guess you could have nutriants given to you... but I hardly consider that to be a normal life...

Haha that is awesome, I never heard of that. Though I could survive without them I rather keep them where they are:p

jochi1543

Forum Captain
Sounds like exactly my situation....

I did "learn" somthing though...

And who knew that the liver doesn't grow back... aparently when you donate part of your liver you are stuck with half a liver now... I always though that as long as you had a healthy liver you only needed 25ish% of it for it to regenerate to be a full sized liver...

also, the speen, "Is a very hard organ and doesn't take damage easily...." (after abit more of lecture) "The spleen ruptures fairly easily, and it is a common injury to see in a Trauma" ... huh....

I remember there being more but forgot them..

Are you being sarcastic? I'm not too sure. But in case you're not...you are right about the liver regenerating itself. And the spleen is, indeed, easily ruptured. It's also quite vascular, which can lead to a lot of blood loss compared to damage to some other organs. As far as the intestine bit - they can take out LOTS. The lower down the intestinal tract you go, the fewer bad consequences to worry about if stuff is removed. However, I have no idea whether you can eat normal food at all if all your intestines are completely removed, including the duodenum, where most nutrients are absorbed. I tried to look it up online, but didn't find anything detailed.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Look up "Whipple" surgery. It is NOT true the body can live without intestines. The body can only live so long on TPN type feeding as organ failure will begin.

R/r 911

dslprod

Forum Crew Member
hey guys im john 28 we just finished our second week of class the praticals are getting a bit more stressful but im hanging in there and loving every minute of it still ! woo hoo

Sieldan

Forum Crew Member
Had our first test today. Covered Module 1, and I only missed one. A stupid mistake where I got my wires crossed in my head. We did CPR for the rest of the day.

trevor1189

Forum Captain
i will be taking an emt "bootcamp" course in june in Montour county pa. 8-5 monday-friday. for about a month! Super excited to actually get my cerification and start actually helping out.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Had our first test today. Covered Module 1, and I only missed one. A stupid mistake where I got my wires crossed in my head. We did CPR for the rest of the day.

I know that feeling... on my first test I mixed the Tiabia and Fibula up... never made that mistake again.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Even though I'm not an EMT student can I, as a Medic student join and just say that I am totally terrified about the nearing paramedic final!? Aaah!

Sieldan

Forum Crew Member
I know that feeling... on my first test I mixed the Tiabia and Fibula up... never made that mistake again.
And it was a stupid mixup between the bed sheet drag and a extremity lift. How the Hades do you mix THOSE two up?

Sieldan

Forum Crew Member
Even though I'm not an EMT student can I, as a Medic student join and just say that I am totally terrified about the nearing paramedic final!? Aaah!

By the power invested in me by no-one, I hereby declare that Yes, you may join. :) And from what Ive picked up about you around here, you dont have anything to worry about.