EMT-B says "I'm a medic"

Status
Not open for further replies.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Over the weekend I was at a friend's house having lunch. She invited some other folks over and we were chatting. One of them seemed to have an interest in medicine and I asked what his backround was. He said, "I've been a medic since 2006." This naturally perked my interest so I asked what he meant. He said "I've worked or volunteered on an ambulance as a medic since 2006. I provide emergency care to the sick and injured." I asked if he was an emt (not E.M.T. but emt, like in empty). He said, "Oh, yes I am an EMT." I then asked if he was a highly advanced one and he said, "Well, there are several levels and I am what's called an EMT-B."

I continued to play stupid. This was getting fun.

I asked what sort of things he did. He said "Oh, things like IVs, medications, backboards and collars for the spine, splinting for broken bones." I asked him how many IVs he started and he said, "Many many." I then asked him about the higher level of emts and he said, "There are also paramedics, called EMT-P. They do the cool stuff like IVs and sticking tubes in people throats." I asked him why he mentioned IVs for each and he admitted that he wasn't supposed to start IVs but because the medics ordered him to it was "ok". This fellow, mind you, works as an EMT-B in New Jersey. To the best of my knowledge there is no system in NJ that allows Basics to start IVs.

I then said, "When I taught Basic School I told my students they were never to start an IV, even if a medic ordered them do. A medic works under standing medical orders and he cannot delegate those to someone of a lower certification/license level."

The guy turned an interesting shade of white.

"I'm a National Registered EMT Intermediate of the 1985 standard" I said.

The guy tried to change the subject, which I let him as I had made my point really clear. I sure hope he doesn't practice outside his scope ever again. I further hope that if he does he doesn't boast about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
I absolutely love giving people just enough rope to hang themselves. Good work!

A medic works under standing medical orders and he cannot delegate those to someone of a lower certification/license level."

To be pedantic (I also love being pedantic), EMTs work under standing medical orders as well and paramedics can deligate any intervention they want provided it's within the other provider's scope of practice. For example, a paramedic can't delegate an IV to an EMT, but can delegate starting supplemental oxygen or splinting.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Meh, I let people slide when they tell the general public that they are a medic, because medic is much more universal than EMT. Just go out on the street and ask people if they know what an EMT is, then do the same for "medic".

Also, don't know about you but I sure can delegate tasks to people, up to their certification level. Semanticss between your definition and mine? Maybe.

But I too have put my fair share of EMTs back in their place when they were "absolutely sure" they could do advanced skills just because they possesed an ACLS card, so long as I "okayd it for them". Sorry, get your Paramedic patch if you want to do what I can, until then enjoy watching.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I wouldn't let it bother me too much.

As was pointed out, he is probably tired of trying to explain the difference between EMTs and medics. I can get behind that, because even I am tired of explaining it. The only people who seem to know or even care are the ones who have direct contact with EMS.

If that is how he picks up girls, it is not the grandest of lies ever told to that end.

As for basics starting IVs "unofficially," a lot of "unofficial stuff" happens in medicine until something goes wrong, even in the hospital. It depends on your people and how well they know, like, trust each other.

Did this guy start an IV? Once? Twice? Many many? Does it matter? It is not some incredible skill possessed only by those select few who have "earned it."

It seems like every person in the military can start an IV and there are a few million drug abusers that are quite proficent at it as well.

It is not right he was doing it, it is definately out of his scope and therefore out of his standing orders and therefore a violation of medical direction. It could even cross over into practicing without a license.

But let's face it. EMS has far more important things to worry about than who is starting IVs or calling themselves a medic.

EMSrush

Forum Captain
It's worth noting that he may not have actually started any IV's... he might have been talking it up a bit to impress you. :wub:

Cohn

Forum Lieutenant
Im a EMT that can start IV so there! :p

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
This fellow, mind you, works as an EMT-B in New Jersey. To the best of my knowledge there is no system in NJ that allows Basics to start IVs.

True, at least officially. However, it's very common for EMT's to assist medics in setting up the IV, even if the medic does the actual stick (spiking the bag, flushing the line, getting everything set up). And it's not unknown for a medic to let a basic he or she knows (especially if they're, say, a medic student) to start a line, even if it's contrary to protocol.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Some areas use different nomenclature too. Where I used to work there were very few Paramedics, The crew titles were "Lead Medic", "Medic" and "Driver. All were usually some combination of EMT Bs and EMT Is. What title you got depended on what spot you signed up for. The difference between Lead medic and Medic was that the Lead Medic was the one in charge, they had gone through a check off process and all that. So if you said "I'm a medic" there was absolutely no assumption it meant Paramedic.

legion1202

Forum Lieutenant
I`m a EMT-B but i have started about 50 IV's.... But maybe being in medic school i`m allowed to do this =)

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm an EMT, but I just tell people I drive taxis.

If your service is anything like mine then taxi driver is not far from the truth. Also in industrial EMS such as the oil patch everyone is called a medic from the lowest to the highest level provider. As well aren't army medics EMT-B and still called medics.

Last edited by a moderator:

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I`m a EMT-B but i have started about 50 IV's.... But maybe being in medic school i`m allowed to do this =)

Different situation if it's during clinical rotations, your acting as a medic student.

It's generally best to not ask or allow anyone to work out of scope.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
... and yet, nobody seems to care Brown calls himself a HEMS Doctor?

Buzz, buzz .... hello, yes this is delta alpha; ah huh, medical council, riteo, what do you guys want now, man can't you leave a guy alone? :D

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
... and yet, nobody seems to care Brown calls himself a HEMS Doctor?

Buzz, buzz .... hello, yes this is delta alpha; ah huh, medical council, riteo, what do you guys want now, man can't you leave a guy alone? :D

It's probably just because we know you're crazy, so we just don't want to hurt your feelings :p

As for this guy calling himself a "medic", I don't see it as a huge deal, like was already mentioned, most people use the term "medic" interchangeably for any level EMT. The kid may have been talking up what he does to try and impress you, however, if he does routinely do skills out of his scope of practice then he's going to be the one that's endangering his career.

Themyst

Forum Probie
Well, three months ago, I was just your average person with zero medical knowledge (geez - I didn't even know what a 'sucking chest wound' was). And then, I thought a 'medic' was just about anyone who hopped out of that ambulance. That's probably what most people think.

Afflixion

Forum Captain
As well aren't army medics EMT-B and still called medics.

Army medics are indeed medics in the truest sense of the word hence why civilian medics are PARAmedics...kind of the same way fire and LE operate on a PARAmilitary system... Also keep in mind just because an Army medic is only certified as a basic most (I won't say all) are extremely proficient and should be certified as Intermediates, the reason they are not is lack of official classroom instruction... Army medics learn 90% of their job OTJ as an Army medic I learned to perform numerous procedures I did not learn in paramedic school from my providers.

Status
Not open for further replies.