EMT-B says "I'm a medic"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
i dont know how many times ive been at standby, concerts, football games ect, standing my my ambalance and have been asked, "Are your a medic?" When i say no im an EMT i always get a stupid look, follwed by either "Whats the difference?" or "So you are a medic...?"

i have prior IV knowledge and some medics who know me well have directed me to start IV access on codes or similar calls, i think ive done maybe 3 or 4 as a basic, one was in the ER cause the nurse couldnt get it. I know its not in my scope, but its probably the most extreme example of doing things we aren't certified to do under that job description but have the knowledge to do. I always make sure the medics understand the situation before i attempt.

Basics cant do Dex sticks in NJ, but we do that with Diabetics all the time.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Actually medic was a military term. The civilian world then adopted it. Most in the know in EMS saved it for Paramedics only. But some services use it for all levels assigning call numbers as medic### or something similar. As such now it is just another meaningless title much like ambulance driver.

18G

Paramedic
In these parts of the woods... an EMT is an EMT and a Paramedic is a "Medic". EMT's are not called medics.

C.T.E.M.R.

Forum Lieutenant
Anyone else notice how alot of "Whackers" like to talk greater about themselves than they actually are. Most people i know call me ant EMT bad sadly i am not yet, I will constantly correct people. I tell a lot of people the differences, because like its been said the general public has no clue about the way ems works. i would never call my self a medic, YOu actual medics have lots more responsibility than i do. So to you i say thanks as well as to all EMT's and other certs. And way to go putting him in his place, he must have been ridiculously mad. But he deserved IT! THANKS!!!!

medic417

The Truth Provider

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Anyone else notice how alot of "Whackers" like to talk greater about themselves than they actually are. Most people i know call me ant EMT bad sadly i am not yet, I will constantly correct people. I tell a lot of people the differences, because like its been said the general public has no clue about the way ems works. i would never call my self a medic, YOu actual medics have lots more responsibility than i do. So to you i say thanks as well as to all EMT's and other certs. And way to go putting him in his place, he must have been ridiculously mad. But he deserved IT! THANKS!!!!

At what point does somebody who is proud of what they do become a "whacker?"

I think you will eventually get really tired of explaining ems to non ems folks.

No offense intended, but an EMT-I isn't that much farther up the food chain than EMT-B. Infact I have several times in the past and still advocate eliminating one or the other.

C.T.E.M.R.

Forum Lieutenant
At what point does somebody who is proud of what they do become a "whacker?"

most whackers dont realize they are. but they get big heads and think the are gods gift to earth.

I think you will eventually get really tired of explaining ems to non ems folks.

i kinda already am but the people i have told actually appreciated the info, a little education goes a long way, Plsu i got a few people interested.

No offense intended, but an EMT-I isn't that much farther up the food chain than EMT-B. Infact I have several times in the past and still advocate eliminating one or the other.
I get you point here my cert ant EMT-b are almost identical, actually its what a CT EMT-b used to be every thing just moved up. Certs should just start at basic, i really dont like how limited i am at my level currently

Last edited by a moderator:

Pittma

Forum Crew Member
He IS out of his scope and I'm glad you corrected that too. That could be dangerous and hopefully he doesn't do it again...however I think it would be a good idea if there was a way to be an EMT-B who can start IV's via some sort of course or cert, as well as a course for ECG etc etc. For example, you can get your PALS but that doesn't extend your scope of practice, but it would be nice for guys like me who are really enthusiastic to learn new things could have sort of a variable scope of practice based on what courses they have. Imagine just having one level of EMT, and then adding on appropriate certs... I know the medic course is all in one, but what if you dont have time for an entire year and clinicals? You could learn all the physiology of KVO IV's, then add on say, pharmacology when you can, etc. I think it would increase quality of EMT's too over time, because those that don't have time or physical ability to do an entire medic course can help out patients to the full extent they are able to as time goes on?

TL;DR (too long, didn't read), the current system is dumb and too restrictive of those that have the smarts and the talent to use all of the interventions currently available, thereby limiting, in my opinion.

But, what do I know? Just a thought.

OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
He IS out of his scope and I'm glad you corrected that too. That could be dangerous and hopefully he doesn't do it again...however I think it would be a good idea if there was a way to be an EMT-B who can start IV's via some sort of course or cert, as well as a course for ECG etc etc. ....SNIP

There is. It's called EMT-Intermediate (aka Advanced EMT).

lampnyter

Forum Captain
I'm and EMT and nobody has any idea what that is so im always explaining the difference between a paramedic and a EMT. But like everyone around here says, when we call in for backup we want a Paramedic, not a medic lol.

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
i often tell people i'm an emt, and they say what?? then i reply, like a paramedic...and then they understand

i never declare myself a medic, and i agree he was just trying to show off. glad you put him in his place!

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
bstone.

As an advanced provider, have you ever likened yourself to, or called yourself a paramedic in conversation?

I have heard this a lot amongst our EMT-CCs and to be honest, I have mixed opinions about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pittma

Forum Crew Member
Well, EMT-I's are pretty much phased out, Massachusetts is the only one with an EMT-I left from what I hear. I should move to another state, lol. I need to find the time to go to medic school, but with working on my undergrad I can't...I guess my idea of a stepwise process would only work for me. :p

OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
bstone.

As an advanced provider, have you ever likened yourself to, or called yourself a paramedic in conversation?

I have heard this a lot amongst our EMT-CCs and to be honest, I have mixed opinions about it.

Never, ever called myself a paramedic. Always call myself "an EMT".

Status
Not open for further replies.