• Yes, I would consider it as a strong option

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No, I would look into other states more

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

RachZem

Forum Ride Along
Hey ya'll

I'm moving to the Space Coast area. A tiny town named Titusville. I was wondering what it's like living and working as an EMT-B near there? I have been looking around for work and it seems like my best bet is the Orlando area. What's your scope and how's the culture? Do you get along well with other agencies (PD, Fire, etc.)?

Just tips in general would be great. I'm coming from Colorado.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Well....you would be better suited to look towards Daytona for EMS work. Driving from Tville to Orlando is a long commute and expensive especially if you shorten the trip and use toll roads.

You will only work IFT in Orlando as near everything in Central FL is Fire/Rescue. You also have Coastal Ambulance (IFT) in Brevard County as well.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I'm coming from Colorado.

Colorado to Florida. Wow thats a change. Seems like the dude I was going to recommend has already given his 2 cents.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Warmer climates don't always equate to the best places to practice in this line of work. While I am unfamiliar with Florida, it seems to be a heavily fire-based state. I'm sure there are some decent EMS only services (e.g., Lee County EMS) that offer up good opportunities, but given what limited information I know about being an EMT in CO, you're better off getting your paramedic there first before moving. California and Florida seem---in general---pretty similar with regards to this industry. Don't get too caught up in the change of scenery, OP.

To answer your question though, probably not. Overall it would be a lateral move for me, if at all. It would also have to offer up a bit more than just a climate change; being a California native that is one of the (few) things I have going for me.

Agg04

Forum Probie
Warmer climates don't always equate to the best places to practice in this line of work. While I am unfamiliar with Florida, it seems to be a heavily fire-based state. I'm sure there are some decent EMS only services (e.g., Lee County EMS) that offer up good opportunities, but given what limited information I know about being an EMT in CO, you're better off getting your paramedic there first before moving. California and Florida seem---in general---pretty similar with regards to this industry. Don't get too caught up in the change of scenery, OP.

To answer your question though, probably not. Overall it would be a lateral move for me, if at all. It would also have to offer up a bit more than just a climate change; being a California native that is one of the (few) things I have going for me.
You're correct on assuming that Florida is heavily a fire-based state. Want a good job, with a good salary and benefits? Join one of the many FD's in the state of Florida. The farther south you go the more money you make (generally).
I am in exactly the opposite boat of you. I'm hopefully starting my medic program in the fall and then I'm off to CO asap. Good luck.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
You're correct on assuming that Florida is heavily a fire-based state. Want a good job, with a good salary and benefits? Join one of the many FD's in the state of Florida. The farther south you go the more money you make (generally).
I am in exactly the opposite boat of you. I'm hopefully starting my medic program in the fall and then I'm off to CO asap. Good luck.

Sunstar is very actively recruiting.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Sunstar is very actively recruiting.
You mean the company that was offering 35k bonus if you can manage to last 5 years... and that's under active investigation?

SunshineCamo

Forum Lieutenant
Lake and Volusia county have stand-alone EMS (Lake County EMS and EVAC respectively) although I've heard a rumor Lake EMS is getting absorbed by county fire. Like AKflightmedic said we're dominated by fire-ems. In Orlando there's American Ambulance which only does IFT. Rural Metro/AMR does IFT but also has a 911 contract with Orlando and West Orange County (depending on who you talk to you get very different answer on how much they actually do anymore though). On the wrong side of the state is Sunstar Paramedics and Manatee EMS. There's some options for single certs but not a lot. You're closet service would probably be Coastal. I've never even talked to one of their crews so I don't know anything about them.

EMS Pursuit

Forum Probie
I see currently a decent amount of Jobs in Orlando with Rural Metro being a good 911. IFTs are more in abundance from the companies I see this month with jobs. Many hospitals in Florida Higher EMTs/Medics so don't forget about those avenues. The ER is a great spot to learn your job with a higher volume of patients you can see.

Sincerely,
EMS Pursuit (Fire & EMS Jobs)