EMS Turnout Gear?

CMHills

Forum Probie
Hey all,

First, let me say I'm new here, so go easy. Second, I tried searching for this and couldn't find an answer after about an hour, so I have put forth due diligence.

My question is very simply this: Is there a universal norm for the use of turnout gear in EMS Depts. out there? I'll be starting with a private Co. and can't find their specific policies, but I've noticed that turnout gear is fairly common among EMS folks.

Essentially, I'm trying to figure out if I'll need to get a hold of some bunker gear because like many here, I'm not exactly rolling in the dollar bills and will need to start saving if it's essential.

If there's already a thread on this, I apologize. Remember, I'm a newbie. Speak to me as you would a child.

Remeber343

Forum Lieutenant
As far as my area goes, private ambulance is the secondary responder. They have a contract with our fire department. We do a dual response. For example, car wrecks, we will respond with rescue/engine and an aid car and they will respond with their aid cars. We do the extrication so there is no need for them to use bunks. I'm not sure how it is in other areas were private plays the primary role and FD play secondary, I'm assuming that the FD there will also take care of extrication.

Remeber343

Forum Lieutenant
I would also contact the company and just ask them what they expect. If its work related I would think they would pay for the initial gear. But it's probably a good idea to give them a call.

OP
OP
CMHills

CMHills

Forum Probie
Oh I've called them, many times. But they have a rule about releasing policy to non-employees (which I won't be for much longer), which I sort of understand, but I really need to start saving the money if bunks will be necessary.

My Co. is the primary EMS provider in my area, hence the confusion.

Remeber343

Forum Lieutenant
I would think that the FD would still do extrication. Most ems agency don't do that type of stuff. I would sit tight until you are able to ask them, there is no reason to go blow money on 2000$ bunks. I wouldn't worry to much about that.

Adz

Forum Crew Member
The private service I work for is the primary responder and we don't have bunker gear, fire takes care of anything requiring bunkers.

OP
OP
CMHills

CMHills

Forum Probie
I thought it was a bit of a long shot. A buddy of mine who just got his medic and is working for the same company just got a set of bunks in the mail and won't keep quiet about them. That's part of why I asked.

Thanks for the info, glad to know I probably won't have to part ways with two grand for an ugly tux.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I thought it was a bit of a long shot. A buddy of mine who just got his medic and is working for the same company just got a set of bunks in the mail and won't keep quiet about them. That's part of why I asked.

Thanks for the info, glad to know I probably won't have to part ways with two grand for an ugly tux.

Probably a whacker he is, lol. If you need bunkers for a paid service, they will provide them.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I would think that if they were required, they would be provided. I think it's fairly uncommon for EMS to have bunker gear, it's typically fire's job. That being said, I have "bunker gear" for my PT service (more like a flash suit, just the shells). We also have extrication equipment and a CAFS system on our ambulances... However, it was all provided, I didn't spend a penny. Definitely hold off on buying any before you find out what the company wants. It's understandable being anxious, but slow your roll a bit ;)

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
My 'bunker gear' consists of a pair of blue BDU's and a pair of trauma shears...try working in the confines of the back of an ambulance in bunker gear!!! :rofl:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
My 'bunker gear' consists of a pair of blue BDU's and a pair of trauma shears...try working in the confines of the back of an ambulance in bunker gear!!! :rofl:

Done it many a time. It does cause some looks when you roll a patient into the ER and you're wearing bunker gear (and sweating like a pig because of it.):p

medic417

The Truth Provider
Done it many a time. It does cause some looks when you roll a patient into the ER and you're wearing bunker gear (and sweating like a pig because of it.):p

Have you ever seen a pig sweat?:unsure:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Have you ever seen a pig sweat?:unsure:

Nope. The closest I get to pigs is when they're on my plate next to the potatoes and veggies.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
At my agency we are issued a helmet with goggles, a high-vis vest, gloves (or so I'm told, I haven't seen a pair yet :ph34r: ) and a Jacket that I guess you could call a bunker jacket although I wouldn't go anywhere near a fire in it, it's more of a shell.

Like everyone said, if it's required it should be issued to you.

medic417

The Truth Provider

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member

Not bad at all actually. Gets hot though. Like ffemt said, get plenty of looks when you get to the hospital though :p Typically some very welcomed looks ;)

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
We are issued Globe extrication gear, a Bullard helmet, Kevlar gloves and a few other goodies for when we need to be in the action circle at an extrication. I appreciate that the county provides it and I certainly wouldn't pay for it out of my own pocket.

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief

But that would be a massive FD rescue, and not an ambulance, right?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
But that would be a massive FD rescue, and not an ambulance, right?

Plenty of fire medics will end up riding in on AMR type IIs here, and anytime it's dark or cold you can be sure they'll be wearing their bunker pants. I can't imagine anyone wearing a bunker coat though, why not just to take it off and leave it on the engine?

Sent from my out of area communications device.