EMS Quotes

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
To start, a few bad ones, with context:

When discussing treatments for a deep neck laceration with arterial bleeding, from a system-cleared paramedic.

"I would put a Halo (circular chest seal) over it and continue my assessment."

"...the Halo will control bleeding and keep the blood in. All we need to do is get them to the trauma center. That's why we keep 10-minute scene times." (Yes, he made the case that crappy care is excusable because "it's different than the Army, we're not being shot at, you have to worry more about C-spine" and "we have short transport times, so they won't bleed out."

(This is in a system that does have protocols and even combat gauze for packing nontourniquetable hemorrhage.) To this medic's credit, he did go ask Education and was set on the right track.

When discussing the same thing, a fellow paramedic-orientee: "I don't want to have this argument, but I'd just put a pressure dressing over it and tape it down. That's going to control arterial bleeding. You can't put pressure on the neck because you'll cut off bloodflow to the brain. You'll kill half of their brain." (Yes, she thought that controlling hemorrhage was more likely to be fatal than allowing exsanguination).

Sadly, this medic did not educate herself, and I hope she never gets a call like this.

From another (experienced) medic: "It doesn't matter if they have a hemothorax, you can ventilate the lungs open anyways. Don't worry about barotrauma, they're ICU's problem after we drop them off." (in response to the potential of sitting patients with suspected hemothoraces up (IAW TCCC guidelines) as opposed to C-spine, supine, with Trendelenberg for shock.

"Dude, you're a wuss on intubations. I've never used a flex-guide (bougie) and I've never missed a tube." -from a very young, brand-new medic. (I use a bougie on almost every patient I intubate, and generally find it easier and faster than trying to fight with a short stylet.). Same young medic also seems to think that "Kings are for people who don't have skills" and not understand that some patients simply don't need to be intubated at all, much less left hypoxic from multiple attempts to intubate a difficult airway.

These are a single day's snapshots of what needs to change in this field. We have many people who are professionals, who strive to improve and learn, and who are not, for lack of a better term, willfully ignorant. We also have a lot of people who should probably find alternate employment.

To round it out, here's a family quote of wisdom.

"I'd rather be a wuss with 100% success rates on dangerous interventions like intubation, good assessments, and a solid grasp on the situation than a stud with 50% success rates, poor assessments, and a load of hot air. We have training and tools for a reason. Use them right or don't use them at all." -Dad.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
"It's protocol that we ______________."

I hate that.

Closely coupled is: "But it's the standard of care."

And not a specific quote, but I detest when people speak on a certain subject as if the have all knowledge on that subject, especially when they are wrong. Like the time I was complaining about having to c-spine something stupid and was "informed" by my partner that I shouldn't complain about c-spine. That it is a vital life saving intervention and has produced a drastic reduction in death from spinal trauma since it's introduction.

Say what? I think I had a bug fly into my ear when you said that and I didn't hear it correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anjel

Forum Angel
Was this more of a rant?

Is that the purpose of your thread? I'm confused?

Or did you want stupid quotes we have heard?

I had a hard time making it through your post.

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
A little bit of both, I was disappointed in the intelligence of some of our peers when this was posted.

Rotor Talker

Old EMT-B
As we start CPR on a police-action shooting:

Officer: "Is it bad?"

One of our EMT's: "Well, ya hit the 10- ring" and laughs!

Officer: "OH NOOOO"

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
A little bit of both, I was disappointed in the intelligence of some of our peers when this was posted.

I am disappointed by the intelligence of 90% of my peers.

The 10% that don't disappoint me are the members of this forum...

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I am disappointed by the intelligence of 90% of my peers.

The 10% that don't disappoint me are the members of this forum...

Same here, on both accounts.

Several people I've worked with have told me that they don't trust in all this "new medical stuff" and are "old school," so they're going to go with what they were taught is school (in 1995 +/-5 years).

Try explaining the tamponade effect on venous return with excessive PPV in a low flow state (arrest or hypotensive), anything that deals with ETCO2, why we shouldn't "just get the tube real quick and then worry about everything else," why we don't hyperventilate TBI's as a rule, 12 lead axis deviations, 15 leads, how CPAP works, how "cardiac asthma is not bronchconstriction and shouldn't get a neb right off the bat, etc. Right over their heads. It's truly mind boggling.

Our newer hires generally have a more modern medical education, thank goodness.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Same here, on both accounts.

Several people I've worked with have told me that they don't trust in all this "new medical stuff" and are "old school," so they're going to go with what they were taught is school (in 1995 +/-5 years).

Try explaining the tamponade effect on venous return with excessive PPV in a low flow state (arrest or hypotensive), anything that deals with ETCO2, why we shouldn't "just get the tube real quick and then worry about everything else," why we don't hyperventilate TBI's as a rule, 12 lead axis deviations, 15 leads, how CPAP works, how "cardiac asthma is not bronchconstriction and shouldn't get a neb right off the bat, etc. Right over their heads. It's truly mind boggling.

Our newer hires generally have a more modern medical education, thank goodness.

I've run into old school ER docs at some of the outlying facilities I've picked up critical patients at that are the same way though, so that seems like it might be a generational thing among lower end providers

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I had a carotid bleed secondary to a knife wound a while back.

Even direct manual pressure on the exposed artery (ear to ear lac from a less than happy boyfriend) barely did anything, only reason she made it was we were .6 miles from the trauma center.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
My favorite here lately from new employees has been "I don't have x-ray vision" when referring to clearing c-spine. To which I get to respond "you've got NEXUS which is better" :D

Two favorites from my OMD.

"Hope is not a plan"

"Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence and three times is enemy action"

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
BLS before ALS

EMT's save Paramedics

First run the dopamine wide open and then worry about dose calculation

Missed the IV - must have hit a valve

Skip the IV and meds - we're right around the corner from the ED - they can do everything there

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
"The pain doesn't look that bad... I'm gonna hold off on the fent."

Makes me crazy.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
"We're only BLS, we have to transport emergent."

"Why do you always stop at red lights?"

"We don't need to bring the bag or AED in, it's a nursing home so we're definitely transporting."

Those three I wrote down as the true winners of my summer on the back of notepad, wish I had a picture.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
from ALS to BLS: "you don't really need us right?" and "so we are cancelled right?"

from local BLS to new employee me: "these paramedics aren't like the ones you are used to, they don't tolerate it if you don't know what you are doing, or if you hold them for a borderline call. as a result, I try to cancel them on almost every call."

"we are <10 minutes from the ER, have tried starting the IV 6 times on this actively seizing patient... lets attempt #7..."

"everyone needs high flow oxygen"

"everyone needs to be carried to the ambulance, and wheeled into the ER" regardless of complaint, or if they should be left in triage

"if they called 911 for an ambulance, they must be really sick!"

"c-spine precautions prevent people from being paralyzed following minor MVAs..."

"even fender benders with neck and back pain should be put in full c-spine precautions"

and my personal favorite:

"I work full time in EMS, this continuing education stuff is all a waste of time!"

JDub

Forum Lieutenant
BLS before ALS

In context with the other quotes, I feel you are not to fond of this concept. I completely disagree though.

Case in point for me, the ALS IFT crew that witnessed a bad wreck and stopped to help. When we arrive the medic has already started a IV on this 70 something year old lady and is actively squeezing a 1L bag of fluids into her because "she looks shocky Bro!". When asked for a set of vital signs he didn't have one. She was also actively bleeding from an open fracture on her right wrist, which was not being controlled at all. Also I am not a big fan of C-spine, but she was in a high speed MVC and complaining of neck and back pain with no c-spine precautions taken yet.

That is a great example of where all the BLS skills should have been performed first.

Veneficus

Forum Chief

Veneficus

Forum Chief
In context with the other quotes, I feel you are not to fond of this concept. I completely disagree though.

Case in point for me, the ALS IFT crew that witnessed a bad wreck and stopped to help. When we arrive the medic has already started a IV on this 70 something year old lady and is actively squeezing a 1L bag of fluids into her because "she looks shocky Bro!". When asked for a set of vital signs he didn't have one. She was also actively bleeding from an open fracture on her right wrist, which was not being controlled at all. Also I am not a big fan of C-spine, but she was in a high speed MVC and complaining of neck and back pain with no c-spine precautions taken yet.

That is a great example of where all the BLS skills should have been performed first.

Does a doctor perform ALS or BLS skills first?

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard

What I mean is that BLS and ALS part of the same assessment and Tx plan. I don't approach a pt thinking "first BLS assessment and interventions, then ALS"; a paramedic's approach to assessment and Tx encompasses both simultaneously. It's just EMS to me - there's no definitive line where BLS stops and ALs begins, since BLS is part of ALS.

Make sense?

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
What?!!!!

No kidding, my senior medics would say to open the dopa up wide, since we want vasoconstriction, then figure out the drip rate afterward.