EMS Provider Mental Health And Wellness

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I saw the post from @NomadicMedic and his crew that had a really bad call... Many of us have had those really bad calls... if you haven't, you likely will sometime in the future. And saw the post from @ChrisMed1 about some of the mental health issues he was experiencing... and some older stuff that others have posted about over the past few years. And had one of my EMS academy-mates commit suicide shortly after graduating.

One of my former coworkers used to say "you need to be crazy to do this job," and knowing many of my coworkers, he's not entirely wrong; Mental health issues are all too common, and EMS workers are not exempt from experiencing them. But like many in the military, and other public safety areas, we get the added bonus of seeing stuff that many people wouldn't ever want to deal with. And like many, in our field, we ignore them and pretend they don't affect us, and our employer's management when it comes to crews who experience those seriously bad calls has, historically, been piss poor, especially when the system has calls holding. Thankfully, some places are making progress in that area due to better leadership, but it's still the rarity, not the norm.

As a result, I did want to share some resources, for anyone who might need them... or thinks they are the only person to ever go through this. It's a lot more common than many want to admit.

WRD_Breakthestigma_Black_1.jpg

and a few Jason Patton Videos
  • EMS Helpline – +1 (888)-731-FIRE (3473)
    • Service provided by the National Volunteer Fire Council (NVFC) to prevent suicide and provide free resources, confidential support, and other tools to improve mental health.
  • Safe Call Now – +1 (206)-459-3020
    • Safe Call Now is an organization initially founded in the state of Washington, that extended its operation nationwide. Staffed by public safety professionals and former law enforcement officers, the organization provides simple and confidential way to ask for help for a wide range of issues. Safe Call Now works collectively with a variety of unions, public safety groups and various mental health and substance abuse professionals to support first responders and those in the line of trauma around the nation.
  • The Code Green Campaign
    • First responder oriented mental health advocacy and education organization. Also known as Code Green, they serve all types of first responders. This includes firefighters, EMTs, paramedics, dispatchers, police, corrections, air medical, and search & rescue. Their name is a combination of the color for mental health awareness (green) and the “code alerts” used in emergency services. If someone is having a stroke or heart attack first responders will call a “code stroke” or “code STEMI”. The idea is that Code Green is calling a code alert on the mental health of first responders.

and one thing about cancer

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Mind the Frontline is a new but good mental health resource.

Great post. Thanks for pinning it.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
For flight crews ECHO FAST is a great service from what I have heard.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
It is hard to ask for help; I know, I didn't ask for help until it was almost to late.
And right now I work somewhere that has great benefits, and a lot of ways to get help, but not for EMS. We can't ask for help without it affecting out jobs

Get the help if you need it

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
Actually there are plenty of places that stigmatize mental health and asking for help puts your employment in jeopardy.

It’s unfair and unfortunate.
I'd say there is some kind of stigma that exists at most places, contrary to the prevailing official narratives. So you don't go to them. It isn't a foregone conclusion that the employer becomes aware of someone seeking help. Chaplains, organizations like Courageous Survivor, outside agencies.... Lots of SO's, police and fire departments contract with 'culturally competent' mental health providers that can provide confidential and privileged help or refer to same. The anonymous help is there. And if the situation is to the point where a clinician would advise coming off the job for a while, a negative impression on the mouth breathing knuckle draggers at work is the least of the worries.

COVA2006

Forum Probie
I’ve been a member of a CISM (Critical Incident Stress Management) Team. All the team members are FFs, EMTs, Medics, COs, or LEOs. When we’ve been called for a Debriefing, the members of the Dept. that called us are surprised & grateful that the Team members are people who have; been where they’ve been, seen what they’ve seen, smelled what they’ve smelled, touched what they’ve touched, felt and thought the same as they’re thinking.
There is great training out there for anyone who would like to get involved.

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
There are classes anyone can take on mental health first aid. I know I had to take them because I work in an inpatient psych unit, and It also counts towards your EMT and paramedic CEU.

800-273-8255 - Suicide Hotline
888-663-3239 - Addiction Hotline
800-931-2237 - Eating Disorder Hotline
800-334-4357 - Self Harm Hotline
800-656-4673 - National Assault Hotline
800-222-1222 - Poison Control Hotline
800-799-7233 - National Domestic Violence Hotline
877-565-8860 - Transgender Suicide Hotline
988 - Suicide and crisis hotline
Text VETS or CONNECT to 741741

Chat 988lifeline.org.

download.jpeg