ems pratical jokes

jazminestar

Forum Crew Member
My partner and I finished up a very long (extended) transport and were enroute back home. I asked him not to fall alseep, cause we had to keep each other up. (I know what some of you are thinking here, so dont say it!)
Well needless to say, 4 hours into our trip my sleepy partner began to snore heavily, which in turn just aggrevated me to no end. So I saw a rest stop coming up so I pulled in and ever so slowly pulled in front of a big rig with its lights on and with precise timing I gave her a little gas then slammed on the brakes all the while screaming my lungs out! If I only had a vid camera with me on that trip! The results were SPECTACULAR! After realizing that we werent in fact going to die a horrible death, he chased me around the rest area for like 10 minutes threatening me with a horrible death of my very own. (The truck driver that was in the rig at the time wound up being treated for an asthma attack from laughing so hard, seeing that he had the best seat in the house!) All I can say is that from that point on my partner NEVER has fallen alseep in the cab of our unit again. :rolleyes:

ah man i wish i could have seen that!!! hilarious :p

snaketooth10k

Forum Crew Member
Not really a prank, but something pretty funny. One of the guys I work with used his cell phone to record the entire process of turning on an AED, letting it analyze, charge, then actually shock the patient. He uses that as his ringtone, so if it ever rings around medical personnel, people scatter trying to figure out what's going on.

Hey, If anyone knows of a place online I could get a ringtone like that or if somebody could upload for me that would be great :)

Also, Kudos to that prank quoted in the last post^^

Last edited by a moderator:

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
Best one i have done is take the ketchup packets from a fast food restraunt and fold them in half so that they are under pressure. place these under the nubs at the front of the toilet seat and wait for someone to sut down. dam is that a mess in their pants. its doesn't affect their equipment or performance at all minus the ketchup or mustard smell.B)

gradygirl

TROUBLE
My partner and I pulled into the hospital and he saw a truck that he thought his "friend" was in (they were partners when he worked for their service). He grabbed some lube and went to town on both door handles, etc. Turned out that his friend wasn't even working that night AND that he didn't even know the crew!

OedipusRex

Forum Ride Along
This one didnt happen to me, but to my current partner before we worked together, believe me, it actually happened as I have talked to several people that were involved:
Someone got a box of these little "Snap-N-Pop" like things, but they are the ones that have strings on each end that you pull to make them explode, they taped about 20 of them together, tied one end of the strings to the back of the passenger seat and the other end to the seatbelt, about 1 AM they got toned out on a medical call, (mind you that the station was in a REALLY BAD area of town, cars at the station were frequently broken into, you could hear gunshots in the nearby neighborhood, etc) as they were pulling out of the lot there was a car broken down with several young "thugs" standing around it...right about that time my partner pulled on his seatbelt and POP, POP, POP, POP....the things went off and he literally CRAPPED HIS PANTS, he told his partner to back the truck up and he had to go back to the station so he could shower and change uniforms.

one other good one is since I work for a private service we have several fire dept personnel that work part time for us, one nite a few of them put their turnout gear on, discharged the powder fire extinguishers around the bedroom and busted in the bedroom everyone else was sleeping in shouting "THE BUILDINGS ON FIRE...EVERYBODY OUT!!!" ...the sleepers crawled on their hands and knees about halfway down the hallway before someone realized that it wasnt smoke.

when I used to work on BLS trucks I had a partner that would sleep constantly, I finally went to wal-mart and bought one of those marine air horns...the handheld kind, and waited for him to go to sleep real good for about 20 minutes, then I held it up to his head and let it rip

you can also wait for someone to get in the shower and sneak in and pour powdered gravy on them... the brown beef gravy is the best but white gravy will do nicely also

lemme think for a while and Ill come back with some more pranks & stuff

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Why not just run a rope from the overhead doors up the pole hole

and around the victim's ankle or neck? Or tie it to the back of the unit in the darkest corner?
Not funny.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
Best one i have done is take the ketchup packets from a fast food restraunt and fold them in half so that they are under pressure. place these under the nubs at the front of the toilet seat and wait for someone to sut down. dam is that a mess in their pants. its doesn't affect their equipment or performance at all minus the ketchup or mustard smell.B)

I've done that at hunting camp but our weapon of choice is the fire packets from taco bell.

DenverEMT

Forum Probie
We have one guy at work with a very humorous attitude that enjoys picking on other people. We intern, do the same back. A couple good ones that we've done to him are:

1) CRAIGSLIST!!! If you've never used it before, its a wonderful place to sell things - and its free! Anyway, we took 5 or so pictures of his car, inside and out, and made a very appealing ad on that website with a very appealing price for the car. At the bottom, we put "Call anytime day or night. Ask for ________" along with a phone number. It takes about 10 minutes before the calls start coming in and trust me, they don't stop. Good for hours of laughs, especially if they can't figure out who did it.

2) If your dept participates in extrication trainings, that is the perfect chance to get a bucket full or so of broken glass. If you have access to another person's car keys, roll down one of their windows and dump the glass around the door. Put a brick or something on the front seat. When they come outside and see their car, it will look like someone broke in. They will be very happy to know that it isn't true, but its good for a laugh. Just be prepared to vacuum up the glass....

3) We did this to our supervisor. If you have access to the command vehicle that the supervisor drives, look and see if there is an easy to access fuse panel. If so, take a short wire, pull the fuse for the horn out and put one end of the wire in there, replace the fuse. Then take the second end of the wire, pull out the fuse for the brake lights, and do the same thing. Then when they get in, every time they step on the brakes it honks the horn.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
1) CRAIGSLIST!!! If you've never used it before, its a wonderful place to sell things - and its free! Anyway, we took 5 or so pictures of his car, inside and out, and made a very appealing ad on that website with a very appealing price for the car. At the bottom, we put "Call anytime day or night. Ask for ________" along with a phone number. It takes about 10 minutes before the calls start coming in and trust me, they don't stop. Good for hours of laughs, especially if they can't figure out who did it.

This one also works with dating sites like EHarmony or matchmakers. Local department actually took out a personal ad for one of their co-workers. His girlfriend at the time was not amused.

Pittsburgh Proud

Forum Lieutenant
We have one guy at work with a very humorous attitude that enjoys picking on other people. We intern, do the same back. A couple good ones that we've done to him are:

2) If your dept participates in extrication trainings, that is the perfect chance to get a bucket full or so of broken glass. If you have access to another person's car keys, roll down one of their windows and dump the glass around the door. Put a brick or something on the front seat. When they come outside and see their car, it will look like someone broke in. They will be very happy to know that it isn't true, but its good for a laugh. Just be prepared to vacuum up the glass....

3) We did this to our supervisor. If you have access to the command vehicle that the supervisor drives, look and see if there is an easy to access fuse panel. If so, take a short wire, pull the fuse for the horn out and put one end of the wire in there, replace the fuse. Then take the second end of the wire, pull out the fuse for the brake lights, and do the same thing. Then when they get in, every time they step on the brakes it honks the horn.

The Craig's list is pretty cool, I'd be worried about shorting something out with the fuse box but that would be funny....

rjz

Forum Crew Member
This last one I didn't partake in, but it was pretty funny as I saw it after it happened. An ambulance crew found a dead racoon on the side of the road. They intubated it, set up a mock IV with a 50 bag, c-spined it to a cardboard splint and with an infant collar, and then somehow mounted it right behind the light bar on one of the other rigs so it was standing straight up over the light bar. The crew didn't notice for the longest time and I caught a glimpse of the road-kill machine driving around town at one point.

I am laughing so hard right now I am crying...

OP
OP
KEVD18

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
when I used to work on BLS trucks I had a partner that would sleep constantly, I finally went to wal-mart and bought one of those marine air horns...the handheld kind, and waited for him to go to sleep real good for about 20 minutes, then I held it up to his head and let it rip

i do an awful lot of sleeping at work(i never sleep better than when im being paid to do so). i wouldnt be amused if you pulled this one on me more than once.

rjz

Forum Crew Member
One prank that my partner pulled on me (with cooperation of the patient) was taking an empty 500 bag with a drip set, and attaching it to a section of oxygen tubing. He then carefully placed the bag through the crawlspace in the truck, taping it to the wall. He then attached the tubing to the oxygen outlet, causing the bag to fill slowly. When it exploded, I just about had a full body spasm, scaring the living p!$$ out of me. I didn't think it funny at the time, but the patient thought it hilarious.

Another version that is great is to take latex gloves from small to XL and place them inside of each other. Insert O2 tubing into the inner most glove and then tape the opening. Turn on the O2 and throw the glove up front. The increasing pressure makes the inside glove pop and then the next three layers go off in succession. It works great because they think that the fun is over only to find out that there is more to come.

flhtci01

Forum Captain
Make sure the rookie knows how to put together his own tool-kit. It needs:

Left handed wrenches, torque converters, a spare diesel catalytic converter adjuster (make sure to specify it's for a diesel), a fuse pushing 100 watts and .5 amps for the lightbar, and a tread changer for the tires. Then send him off to the local hardware store :).

I can't believe you don't have them get a water hammer!

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief

Paranini

Forum Probie
Grab your partners cell phone when he/she isn't looking and respond to one of those text to chat commercials on TV. Their phone will blow up with texts until they figure out the stop code.

Depending on the type of ambulance you have, grab sheets and spray a big Superman S or whatever symbol you want. Then drape them on top of the ambulance and close a portion into the top of the backdoors. When the drive away, a giant cape will sail off the back of the ambulance that they can't see. Funny everytime.

Last edited by a moderator:

housert

Forum Probie
I have a few. Some aren't specifically for EMS, but they work quite well.

Classic: take the little rubber tube that refills the toilet tank (dunno what it's called) and move it so it's aimed out at the bowl pinched between the tank lid. When they turn around and flush it sprays right in the crotch region. Did it once to our rival station and went up second in to a call where one of them had a huge wet spot right in the crotch.

If you have individuals who get their own rooms at night, the old saran wrap and duct tape on the door works great (door has to open inward though). I usually put a layer of duct tape about knee level on first so it grips them as they come out. Then just clear wrap up to just below head level (so if they're a goober it doesn't wrap around their face and kill em).

This last one I didn't partake in, but it was pretty funny as I saw it after it happened. An ambulance crew found a dead racoon on the side of the road. They intubated it, set up a mock IV with a 50 bag, c-spined it to a cardboard splint and with an infant collar, and then somehow mounted it right behind the light bar on one of the other rigs so it was standing straight up over the light bar. The crew didn't notice for the longest time and I caught a glimpse of the road-kill machine driving around town at one point.
Love the racoon one! Sounds like something my friends would do only it would gave the racoon drinking a beer!

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
my old firehouse had doorways in the sleeping areas, just no doors; we had hanging curtains: they saran wrapped the doorways to about 5ft high.

one of our Lt's was a little anal about things; first day in our station, she went through and labeled the kitchen drawers and cabinets with what was in them. next 2 shifts used about 50 rolls of labels for the label maker and labeled everything in the kitchen: each tile on the floor, each piece of silverware, each spice bottle (which were already labeled).

another good one is the rubber band around the hose sprayer at the kitchen sink; you turn the water on and get sprayed.

onwego

Forum Ride Along
I can't believe this one hasn't been mentioned yet. Icy Hot on the toilet seats. Will be pretty much invisible once applied.