EMS and reckless sexual behavior.

Risky sexual behavior in EMS.

• I have engaged in risky sexual behvior and, I think it is more common.

Votes: 19 46.3%
  • I have not engaged in risky sexual behavior, and I think it is more common.

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • I have engaged in risky sexual behavior, but I don't think it is more common.

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • I have not engaged in risky sexual behavior, and I don't think it is more common.

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Violating the 1/2 of your age +9 rule is a very dumb idea.

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Risky or not, dating crazy is never a good idea.

Votes: 10 24.4%

• Total voters

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
We all know that people in EMS have a higher tendency towards alcohol abuse and other questionable behaviors. After a recent conversation with someone in EMS I'm curious how much this extends to making reckless sexual choices such as infidelity and one night stands. Do you guys think this is any more or less harmful than the other stuff people do to de-stress?

And before anyone worries, the poll is anonymous.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
cops are worse.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Fireman usually have the stereotype of being ladiesman types...

OP
OP
Aidey

Aidey

Of course they are, but I'm curious about EMS people. I also wonder if there is a gender difference, difference between EMTs and Paramedics and people who do IFT and 911, or even CCT (Variances in stress levels and what not).

JPINFV

Gadfly
Let's just say I've had partners admit to becoming members of the Code 3 Club.

Joe

Forum Captain
Im here to bang ladies and save lives

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
it happens.

long non-traditional hours, over indulgence of alcohol, spouses who aren't "in the business" and can't always related, and even worse when you don't want to burden them with what you were exposed to (mentally, not physically), and the fact that we are (in general) an incestuous bunch who tend to spend waaaay too much time together, and you see what happens.

That all being said, I know quite a few happily married people, who don't cheat on their spouses. They have been married for 30 years, sometimes to a person in EMS, other times to someone totally out of it.

Have I had one night stands before? yes. Have I had flings with people in EMS? yes (but never while at work). Have I dated coworkers? (embarrassingly) yes. Have I gone out with coworkers and had too much alcohol? pleading the 5th on that one.

Infidelity is one of those weird thing that isn't local to EMS. if someone is going to cheat, than they will cheat; their occupation or career has nothing to do with it.

If you are single and want to have a string of one night stands, go for it. sex is a great stress relief. Sex with coworkers is generally not a good idea, because it very very rarely stays secret. Alcohol is used for stress relief too, in the short term, but tends to have long term consequences. Many business men use it as well.
Im here to bang ladies and save lives
at least you can admit it. and chicks love a guy in uniform, or so I have been told

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Honestly no I don't think EMS people are more risky... Now college students is a completely different story.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Can you be more specific on what you consider risky sexual behavior? Lol

I voted but my vote is based more off healthcare in general not specific to EMS. I think when you see death and dying on a regular basis you start to see how little control you have. The good die young, the :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:s live forever and nothing happens like you expect it it. This mentality leads some to take more risks and live on the edge so to speak. I have made the mistake of having relationships with co-workers. It's usually a rough day at work, go out for a few drinks, then usually leads to something physical. It's some what of a stress relief for some. It is kind of weird being a male in a predominately female environment, I can honestly say I am not the instigator in most situations. Maybe it's because none of us have time for relationships during nursing school so when we get out we have a chip on our shoulder? Lol

Although not as crazy as TV shows there really is a lot of "greys anatomy" type romances in the hospital. Or a better example is The House of God, it acutally has a great explanation of it.

I honestly think my only hope for a decent relationship is with someone in the healthcare field. None of my other Exs could ever relate to me since so much if my life revolves around medicine. At least at this point in my life

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
For the record, 90% of the EMS people I know aren't exactly ladykiller material...

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
You think EMS is bad you should see what airline folks get up to. I actually find EMS to be a bit tame in the shenanigans area.

I've mellowed considerably but there are few bad ideas I didn't at one time or another try. Occasionally repeatedly even after disastrous results. Let's face it my industry is (or at least was) a target rich environment. I used to think this was a male/female thing but after 17 years in the airline biz I've decided women are just more subtle and a little bit smarter about these things. Probably because they tend to have more to loose.

Edit
If I'd known then what I know now I would have been even less restrained then I was. As someone else mentioned being good gets you little more than a great view of the others having fun.

Last edited by a moderator:

citizensoldierny

Forum Captain
We're talking with others right:unsure:

OP
OP
Aidey

Aidey

Edit
If I'd known then what I know now I would have been even less restrained then I was. As someone else mentioned being good gets you little more than a great view of the others having fun.

Do you think you would have violated the age rule?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
women ... have more to loose.
Giggity.

1/2 my age + 9 is 21. I have no qualms with going down to the legal age of the state I'm in, take it where you can get it, right? Though I will admit, it feels different looking at an 18yo college freshman, and an 18yo highschool senior....

bigbaldguy

Age rules a toughy because women are just way smarter then men which is easy to mistake for maturity but isn't.

My opinion is that women more than 3 years younger than you just aren't worth the trouble. A mans true mental maturity is about 10 years younger than the actual age of the women/girls he dates. A man dating an 18 year old is about 8 years old maturity wise.

Plus once you go past the 5 year younger mark it's just too much trouble trying to follow what the hell they're talking about. If you start talking to date about your favorite TV show as a kid and they go "oh yeah I uses to watch that every Saturday morning as a kid......on nickelodeon" well lets just face it that's just creepy and a little sad.

bigbaldguy

OP
OP
Aidey

Aidey

1/2 my age + 9 is 21. I have no qualms with going down to the legal age of the state I'm in, take it where you can get it, right? Though I will admit, it feels different looking at an 18yo college freshman, and an 18yo highschool senior....

Do you think you would still think legal age is ok if you were older, say 29-30?

bigbaldguy

Do you think you would still think legal age is ok if you were older, say 29-30?

Aidey just be a cougar already ;)