Do's and Dont's of applications?

AmeriMedic21

Forum Crew Member
once again i thought i would gather some knowledge from the people who have done what i am about to attempt. I have just recently received my National Registry paper work, and am currently waiting on my state license to get here in the mail. I am aiming on getting hired by an Ambulance service anywhere in the state of Kansas, and I want to prove to the services that im applying to, that im there choice. Is it acceptable to build up a portfolio so to speak of, to present when dropping off an application? or is that too much? should i wait till i score an interview to bring my portfolio in? or just drop the idea all together? In my "portfolio", I would like to put my application in, and then a COPY of my EMT-B certification, I am already NIMS 100,200,700 certified, I am also currently waiting on letters of recommendation from my instructors of my EMT class, and of course my resume. I am 1/3 students that passed all of my Module exams on the first try, and thats something im proud of, can i brag about stuff like that? I want to present myself, as serious, and professional. Is my above idea any good? i dont mind spending the money on those portfolios that i want to make, so thats not an issue for me at all.
Also, on my cover page, is it okay to have the star of life symbol on there?
Thanks Much,
Ryan S.

Last edited by a moderator:

BEorP

Forum Captain
I would say that it is definitely too much to present a portfolio while dropping off an application. You will probably only be handing it to an administrative person, and they really won't care how well qualified you think you are.

Maybe it would be worth bringing to an interview, but I personally have never brought a portfolio to an interview. I do know that some schools encourage it though. Just remember that if you do bring it, it should be something to support things that you will be discussing during the interview (e.g. if you got some award, have a copy in the portfolio). I wouldn't ever expect an interviewer to just say "let's flip through your portfolio" though. As for the star of life, that would be a bit much for me personally.

Now, maybe this is common sense to you, but it sounds like you're going for your first "real world" job so it might be new... be sure that you submit a cover letter with your resume. This is where you have a brief chance to tell the employer why they should hire you (or why they should interview you) then once you get in for the interview you need to sell yourself further. Google can give lots of resources for cover letter writing.

Good luck with the job hunt!

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I don't know if a portfolio is quite what you need when you're applying for jobs. Every time I apply to a job, either mail or in person, I also leave them a copy of my resume, a recently accessed driving record, and a copy of my licenses, and a letter of recommendation from my school employer.

The trick is to be concise, all of those documents are only 1 sheet, to avoid anyone glancing at the document and deeming to it long to bother with. Just paper clip it to the actual application, there's no need for any sort of portfolio things, and avoid putting the star of life on everything.

Also, don't "brag" about how well you did on the tests up front. Maybe in an interview it might be worth mentioning, but otherwise it comes off the wrong way.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Fill out the application. fill it out completely, give no more than they ask for, and don't forget anything. if you are just submitting a resume, than make it indisputable, with the facts. list your jobs (related to your field), your level of training, and any certificates that you have that is related to your job. try to keep it all to 1 page, and minimize the white space on the paper.

if you get an interview and want to show your overeagerness, a portfolio might be appropriate. letter of recommendation, having copies of all your certs, and the star of life thing can help, but doubt it will help you get a job in this field.

I could be wrong, but I always wrote a good resume, was a good interviewer, and always networked really well. the 3rd one is by far the most important part of getting the job.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I'm going to take a different tact. You should, at least at the interview, have a copy of your EMT certification, NIMS 100, 200, and 700 (those are the required ones, right?), CPR card, and any other miscellaneous requirements. Most companies will list what their minimum requirements are, and if they don't, just assume that they will eventually want copies for their records.

This has absolutely nothing to do with bragging, but everything to do with making so that there's less that they have to track down for you.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
This has absolutely nothing to do with bragging, but everything to do with making so that there's less that they have to track down for you.

That's exactly it, sooner or later they are going to need those copies anyway. Might as well try and make a decent first impression with the HR staff.

RoxyGurL

Forum Probie
Portfolio is way too over the top. I used to be in a position where I'd hire people. Sometimes things like that will have the opposite effect. (Too confident, selfish, trying too hard, etc...) It is better to write an awesome cover letter and include any letters of recommendation you may have. Just my 2 cents.

Anjel

Forum Angel
I turned in my cover letter, resume, app, nims, and certifications.

When I got hired she thanked me for doing it and it saved her the time of tracking it all down. I simply put it in a manilla envelope and dropped it off.

When you start the "bragging" is when they ask...why should we hire you? Then have at it. But stay humble.

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
I actually had some luck by not turning in my certifications. When I filled out my application, all I had was my CPR and PHTLS. I explained that everything was in the works and I was just waiting on the state. When my NREMT card came I promptly went in to up date my application. Same with my state certification.

I figured by doing this I showed my interest and put a face with the name more than once. When I turned in my state card the Operations manager wasnt in, so I called to make sure she got it, and was able to set up an interview at the same time. 4 days after turning in my last certification, and thats with the 3 day weekend. B)

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm gonna keep it short and sweet - save the portfolio for the interview and don't put a star of life anywhere. It's silly. You don't need to remind them what field their company is in.

joness

Forum Probie
i agree with everyone else that a portfolio is not appropriate for the work place, that belongs in interviews for grad schools and additional schooling. also be careful with how much you brag about yourself, because no matter how well you did in class, nothing is the same when you actually get out there. I recently got hired on and i realize how much I still don't know. For my interview ( last month) I turned in a well written and to the point cover letter, a professional and relevant resume (leaving out things that don't pertain to EMS), a copy of my DL, BLS-CPR, EMT-B, NREMT certs (all on one page), and a recent copy of my driving record. Good luck with your application process!

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I'd like to point out that a portfolio is not a bad idea. I've brought a portfolio to most of my interviews, and have had offers for nearly all of those jobs. Although anecdotal, it couldn't have been too wrong because compared to most I've been very successful. I had several people thank me for bringing it in.