Does it matter if a uniform has a badge or not?

CFal

Forum Captain
Usually a badge is a sign of a professional job so most EMS agencies have badges. All fire has badges and all police have them.

Not all police have badges, RISP and PSP don't use them on uniforms. RISP does issue badges for off duty but not on duty.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Not all police have badges, RISP and PSP don't use them on uniforms. RISP does issue badges for off duty but not on duty.

NJSP wear their badge on their hats, which is why you rarely see them without. Seems like its a State Police thing. PA carries theirs in their wallets

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
We're primarily 911 and do not wear badges.

Fire and PD do, not us though. They say it helps people differentiate us from the police department, supposedly. I tend to think the "PARAMEDIC" on my shirt under my name, giant bags, monitor, gurney and ambulance do a pretty good job of that but you never know...

Our uniforms are navy blue 5.11 pants and Blauer or 5.11 navy button up shirts.

Last edited by a moderator:

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
From a NYC standpoint, it is very common for an EMS provider to be mistaken for a police officer.

When something legitimate occurs NYPD turns out extremely fast in extreme numbers. They probably won't even see your ambulance or notice that your patches are different in the sea of cops. They don't neccesarily realize that the bright red bags are EMS guys and many people wear a duty belt, making them look even more cop-like.

NYC EMS used to wear white shirts with green pants and a badge that was exactly the same as the NYPD badge but it said EMS. When they became FDNY EMS I believe around 99' I'm not 100% they switched to the current navy blue that aside from the patches is pretty indistinguishable from a police officer. They removed the badges partly for this reason.

Furthermore we almost always have a police unit show up. For an altered patient, especially those under the influence they always think you are there to arrest them.

When I worked at North Shore-LIJ, we got our uniforms from the exact same place as the NYPD. Our shirts were identical. Our pants had a stripe running down the side, like state troopers. Some even wore their shield on their belt

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
When I worked at North Shore-LIJ, we got our uniforms from the exact same place as the NYPD. Our shirts were identical. Our pants had a stripe running down the side, like state troopers. Some even wore their shield on their belt

I always made fun of people with the ridiculous blue striped uniform.

They pay well though.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
We all know what this guy said about badges....

madre.jpg

I can't believe this thread went this long without it being mentioned.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Badge or no badge... just don't mix the two on the same ambulance crew. It makes them both look instantly out of place with the other.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

I have no clue who those are.

As for my area the police are still wearing a mix between a metal badge and cloth badge.

The OPs question didn't state what type of badge and I have not stated what type either.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
My guess is Rhode Island State Patrol and Pennsylvania State Patrol.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

Trashtruck

Forum Captain
I was walking to work one evening(well, to my public transportation stop), in full uniform, which is identical to the cops uniforms, when I was mugged. I couldn't believe it! Of all the people to mug, you think you wouldn't go after somebody who looks like a cop. Then again, it was daylight, so they may have sized me up and realized I'm just some EMT or security guard or Culligan man or something going to work.
Another time, walking home from work(again, from my public transportation stop), they(the dudes hanging out on the corner making sure all is well in the neighborhood) would yell out, 'UC! UC!' alerting other people within earshot that I was an under-cover cop. Obviously, this was just fine with me.

So, I guess it works both ways. I have the option of wearing a metal badge. I do not. It would inevitably get ripped off at some point and I'd be responsible for buying a new one, which is like $80 or something. Plus, I don't feel like pinning that on my shirt every day.

On duty, I'm mistaken for a cop quite a bit, but only by people who are drunk. It doesn't really matter. It's never been detrimental.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I was walking to work one evening(well, to my public transportation stop), in full uniform, which is identical to the cops uniforms, when I was mugged. I couldn't believe it! Of all the people to mug, you think you wouldn't go after somebody who looks like a cop. Then again, it was daylight, so they may have sized me up and realized I'm just some EMT or security guard or Culligan man or something going to work.
Another time, walking home from work(again, from my public transportation stop), they(the dudes hanging out on the corner making sure all is well in the neighborhood) would yell out, 'UC! UC!' alerting other people within earshot that I was an under-cover cop. Obviously, this was just fine with me.

So, I guess it works both ways. I have the option of wearing a metal badge. I do not. It would inevitably get ripped off at some point and I'd be responsible for buying a new one, which is like $80 or something. Plus, I don't feel like pinning that on my shirt every day.

On duty, I'm mistaken for a cop quite a bit, but only by people who are drunk. It doesn't really matter. It's never been detrimental.

Sounds like you need to move :unsure: