Does Anyone Else Hate "Too Smart to be a Paramedic"?

JPINFV

Gadfly
It's been said that having a medic one medic on scene is like having an ER doctor in the field.
12215635.jpg

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
That may be a slight exaggeration.

psyanotic

Forum Crew Member
"Medic One paramedics are trained to be an extension of the emergency room physician."

"Harborview Paramedic Training Program provides 3,000 hours (compared to the national standard of 1,100 hours) of instruction and hands-on training to its students."

"Medic One, Seattle and King County’s pre-hospital emergency care system, sets the standard for lifesaving excellence in the U.S. and worldwide."

"Seattle and King County setting standard in prehospital ETI" - JEMS

"Its cardiac arrest survival rate for bystander-witnessed VF/VT is 43%. Its intubation success rate is 99% with a first pass rate of 80%."

"The median gross earning was $116,788.70. 78% of these paramedics earned over $100,000. The least experienced medic who worked a full year (not as an intern) earned $79,876.98."

Although clearly an exaggeration, I think some of the incredibly kind, respectful and considerate senior members here may have missed my point. Thanks for the warm welcome!

JPINFV

Gadfly
"Harborview Paramedic Training Program provides 3,000 hours (compared to the national standard of 1,100 hours) of instruction and hands-on training to its students."

Medical school alone is over 4,000 hours. Actually, I don't know what the final hour count is for medical school, I just know that the statutory minimum for California is 4,000 hours, and I know that doesn't include time spent out of class studying. Then, for EM, there's 3-4 years of residency on top of that.

Now if any Medic 1 paramedics would like to take a look at some of the questions from the Step 1 question book I have sitting in my bookcase (I should burn it or sell it...), I'll be happy to type them up for them.

Last edited by a moderator:

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
"Medic One paramedics are trained to be an extension of the emergency room physician."

"Medic One, Seattle and King County’s pre-hospital emergency care system, sets the standard for lifesaving excellence in the U.S. and worldwide."

"Its cardiac arrest survival rate for bystander-witnessed VF/VT is 43%. Its intubation success rate is 99% with a first pass rate of 80%."

"The median gross earning was $116,788.70. 78% of these paramedics earned over $100,000. The least experienced medic who worked a full year (not as an intern) earned $79,876.98."

Although clearly an exaggeration, I think some of the incredibly kind, respectful and considerate senior members here may have missed my point. Thanks for the warm welcome!

Stick around a bit. When you open with an exaggeration around here, especially deep in a real discussion, you might find some pushback.

This was humorous pushback, and you rebutted nicely. Please know that you will get pushback again for taking a quote from JEMS (trade propaganda magazine) out of context and spinning it.

"Extension of ED physician" =\= "like having a physician on scene"

I for one would love to hear more details about the system in Seattle, so please don't go running off already.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Medical school alone is over 4,000 hours. Actually, I don't know what the final hour count is for medical school, I just know that the statutory minimum for California is 4,000 hours. Then, for EM, there's 3-4 years of residency on top of that.

3,000 hours is a year and a half of 40 hour weeks.

This is real, and not an exaggeration too? I knew it was crazy, but that's just insane!

JPINFV

Gadfly
3,000 hours is a year and a half of 40 hour weeks.

This is real, and not an exaggeration too? I knew it was crazy, but that's just insane!

Yea, but 40 class hours a week of anything even mildly difficult is rather insane. Full time undergrad is normally, 12-20 hours/week of lecture. The bigger question is how much time outside of class is necessary for a student to become proficient in the material. There's a big difference, after all, in having 4 hours straight of an EMT-B and 4 hours straight of undergrad biochem. Actually, I think 4 hours straight of biochem is approaching torture criteria.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
As far as providers are concerned, Medic 1 in Seattle are pretty on top of their stuff. Tossing their salary around is likely to upset folks because they work for a well funded fire department.

Regardless paramedic =/= doctor and they are still, despite what they would like to think, highly proficient and well-practiced technicians...

If you take the same money and political will else were, you will have the same results elsewhere. It's not magic, just money and politics.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
Yea, but 40 class hours a week of anything even mildly difficult is rather insane. Full time undergrad is normally, 12-20 hours/week of lecture. The bigger question is how much time outside of class is necessary for a student to become proficient in the material. There's a big difference, after all, in having 4 hours straight of an EMT-B and 4 hours straight of undergrad biochem. Actually, I think 4 hours straight of biochem is approaching torture criteria.

I've heard the 12,000 number tossed around when including the standard 2 year residency. Figure you're hitting that 80 hr/week mark during residency...

JPINFV

Gadfly
I've heard the 12,000 number tossed around when including the standard 2 year residency. Figure you're hitting that 80 hr/week mark during residency...

...but standard residency is 3 years, unless you want to include internship year (post graduate year 1) as different (which they can be).

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
...but standard residency is 3 years, unless you want to include internship year (post graduate year 1) as different (which they can be).

My bad, meant to say 3 year...EM, FM, IM, etc

psyanotic

Forum Crew Member
Of course, they're not doctors, and their certifications reflect that fact. But they are trained BY doctors to be as proficient AS doctors at a few things. And I can tell you, they definitely are. I think doctors are required to know a little about a lot (med school) and then a lot about a little (residency). I do think it's true though that medic one intentionally designed their system with exclusivity in mind in order to provide their medics with ample experience to keep them current and adept.

Given, I do see them make mistakes sometimes, and they tend to not be too humble about it.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

Here at my lovely college, every class is taught in 3 hour long blocks, usually 9-12 (ish). Class 5 days a week, and if you're in any sort of science class, expect lab in the afternoon at least three times a week if not five. Classes are three and a half weeks long with a break to get your mind back from Wednesday to the following Monday.

It is not a good way to take any lab class, in my opinion. There is no escape, and it beats you down to a hollow shell of a person. Unfortunately the grades I have in the classes that matter (Chems/Psych/Stats/Calc) are not as good as they could be. I did not think I would end up pursuing medicine when I enrolled, and I loved and still love it here to much to leave, but damn I am not looking forward to Bio of Animals coming up next Monday.

psyanotic

Forum Crew Member
Stick around a bit. When you open with an exaggeration around here, especially deep in a real discussion, you might find some pushback.

This was humorous pushback, and you rebutted nicely. Please know that you will get pushback again for taking a quote from JEMS (trade propaganda magazine) out of context and spinning it.

"Extension of ED physician" =\= "like having a physician on scene"

I for one would love to hear more details about the system in Seattle, so please don't go running off already.

Glad to know it's all in good jest :D

I just get defensive because I've always wanted to be a paramedic and threads like these that present personal realities that suggest that it's not fulfilling or actualizing of one's potential kinda make me sad :sad:

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas

Medic 1 is also known for doing some things very right and other things less right than other systems.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
What kinds of things?

I've never been there or worked there or met anyone who has but from what I hear they've got themselves a reputation for turfing calls that should be ALS to BLS crews, for one.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
What kinds of things?

The do a great job of resuscitating witnessed VF arrests and then writing press releases about it. :).

I'm really only half kidding. Their service is really no more progressive than many others, their culture is one of elitism and exclusion and they provide some of the absolute worst customer service I've ever witnessed. Oh yeah, they turf a lot of stuff to BLS. I don't know if its because they're lazy, overworked or just know they can get away with it...

(And yes, I worked in King County as a BLS provider both before and after medic school. I worked with those medics every day. My opinions of KCM1 are based on what I witnessed.)

Other than that, they have nice trucks, the education they are provided is nice and the pay is outstanding.

Last edited by a moderator: