Does Anyone Else Hate "Too Smart to be a Paramedic"?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
WestMetro... Best post of the day!

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Out here on the left coast in socal, it's more like $17 top step for AMR.

Also, why anyone would drop 120k on a degree (MD/DO/DDS aside) is beyond me. If someone is dumb enough to do such a thing...

A friend of mine from high school dropped $150k on a bachelor's in music theory. He's a ride operator at Knotts and an assistant band teacher.

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
Assuming no scholarship, even a degree from a state college will set you back 70-80 grand. That's the wonderful price of higher education.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I am taking per reqs right now. Want to increase the education.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
Assuming no scholarship, even a degree from a state college will set you back 70-80 grand. That's the wonderful price of higher education.

BS...the common term that is, not bachelors of science.

You're looking at around 13k at a state school and up to 30k at a private school.

http://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=76

Anyone paying more than that (within reason not withstanding) is paying too much.

Corollary: The more a school spends on advertisement, the less a person should go there. The Kaplan and UoP commercials look fancy and are inspiring...

JPINFV

Gadfly
Don't forget cost of living in addition to tuition.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief

You're looking at around 13k at a state school and up to 30k at a private school.

Anyone paying more than that (within reason not withstanding) is paying too much.

Corollary: The more a school spends on advertisement, the less a person should go there. The Kaplan and UoP commercials look fancy and are inspiring...

California State Uni's have a much lower tuition than some other states. Although with the current state of affairs not sure how much longer that will be true. The local CC's like Miramar or Mesa went from $26. per unit to $57.

JPINFV

Gadfly
California State Uni's have a much lower tuition than some other states. Although with the current state of affairs not sure how much longer that will be true. The local CC's like Miramar or Mesa went from $26. per unit to $57.

Bright side, CSUs are cheaper, even compared to UCs.

Down side... it's a CSU.

/Go Anteaters!
//ZotZotZotZot.

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief

Ummm...you realize those are yearly costs, right? I just graduated from an average priced four year college and paid 40 grand a year.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
Out here on the left coast in socal, it's more like $17 top step for AMR.

Also, why anyone would drop 120k on a degree (MD/DO/DDS aside) is beyond me. If someone is dumb enough to do such a thing...

you got to spend money to make money.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Ummm...you realize those are yearly costs, right? I just graduated from an average priced four year college and paid 40 grand a year.

You paid way too much...

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
I paid $36,000/year WITH room/board, tuition was about $25,000 with my scholarship. I don't think it gets THAT much cheaper in the Philly/Baltimore area for private college though.

I'm not sure how much U Maryland was, but I think it would have been around $25,000--$30,000 a year-ish with room and board, as a cheaper state school (as an out of state applicant).

Last edited by a moderator:

AngelMedic360

Forum Ride Along
LOL, dont be a retard spending all that money for a career. You have to be smart and spend 2K at a JC for 4 months worth training so you can become a medic and get payed the same as burger flipper's supervisors :blink:

*Sarcasm is my weakness :wub: *

Last edited by a moderator:

Veneficus

Forum Chief
LOL, dont be a retard spending all that money for a career. You have to be smart and spend 2K at a JC for 4 months worth training so you can become a medic and get payed the same as burger flipper's supervisors :blink:

*Sarcasm is my weakness :wub: *

ummm, I paid $18k a year at a state school for tuition for undergrad.

That was almost 8 years ago, but generally even with out of state tuitions, certain sections of the country are better for cost, even if you end up with cost of living, you can still get a better deal than some of the population centers I have seen like Boston, NYC, LA, etc.

What I see here is people paid 10s of K extra to stay near home.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
ummm, I paid $18k a year at a state school for tuition for undergrad.

That was almost 8 years ago, but generally even with out of state tuitions, certain sections of the country are better for cost, even if you end up with cost of living, you can still get a better deal than some of the population centers I have seen like Boston, NYC, LA, etc.

What I see here is people paid 10s of K extra to stay near home.

Yea but... its not like you learned anything in all your schooling :blush:

My girlfriend pays $15,000 a year to go to nursing school on Long Isand. Thats with scholarship. Normal tuition is $30,000. Living at home.

I have it all planned out. They passed a bill last year that volunteer firefighters/EMS go to our community college for free. So I am going to do 2 free years of prerequisites that match a local nursing school. Then I just have to transfer my credits and pay for nursing classes. Hell if I am going to spend $20,000 a year to take math and science classes for two years.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Yea but... its not like you learned anything in all your schooling :blush:

My girlfriend pays $15,000 a year to go to nursing school on Long Isand. Thats with scholarship. Normal tuition is $30,000. Living at home.

I have it all planned out. They passed a bill last year that volunteer firefighters/EMS go to our community college for free. So I am going to do 2 free years of prerequisites that match a local nursing school. Then I just have to transfer my credits and pay for nursing classes. Hell if I am going to spend $20,000 a year to take math and science classes for two years.

make sure that the school doesn't require x credit from their institution.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
You paid way too much...

Indeed I'm not sure how I feel about paying about 50k a year all told to go get a BA in a field I am interested in but with little practical viability. I'm at a top-tier small liberal arts institution and getting a great education, but I'm not blind and know that I could have gotten something that is 90% of what I am getting now for 50% of the cost.

You want an experience, you pay for it. Whether or not it is worth it is a question that can only be answered several years from now.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
make sure that the school doesn't require x credit from their institution.

The nursing school actually has a little class finder that links you to what they accept from other schools as equal to theirs.

My only hurdle is I probably won't be a full time student so it will take me 5 or so years to get a BSN from the ground up.