Do you sport a favorite pen?

gicts

Forum Lieutenant
I know it seems trivial, but has anyone found a favorite pen?
I really enjoy roller balls but our run sheets eat them alive. Usually my pen survives the front of one form, and sometimes my pen can make it through the front of the other form. However, the back of the first run form kills my pen and I have to switch to a second pen and give the first an hour or so to get back to normal. So in the end I carry 2-3 pens in my pocket and toggle through them during the day.
Regular ball point pens do fine for other people, I'm just not a ball point pen person. Is anyone in the same situation? I'm looking for something that will suit my needs. Kinda wondering if the pen NASA invented comes in something other than a ballpoint. I feel like such a nit picky newb ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
True story: Back in the early space race, the US was working hard to cover all details. Seeing that in zero gravity pens wouldn't work, the engineers spent millions designing a pen that would.

In Russia, of course, they had the same problem, however, they thought a little out of the box and issued their cosmonauts pencils!

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
True story: Back in the early space race, the US was working hard to cover all details. Seeing that in zero gravity pens wouldn't work, the engineers spent millions designing a pen that would.

In Russia, of course, they had the same problem, however, they thought a little out of the box and issued their cosmonauts pencils!

Can't use pencils on PCR's. :p

My preferred pen is the Zebra F402. Works well on carbonless forms, and is quite comfortable and durable.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I heart gel pens with a bold tip. I hate writing with light ink. I am very neurotic about my pens, too.. If I for some reason don't have my bold tip pens I whine until we can stop at CvS or something.

pilot-g2.jpg

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle

Actually, the Fisher Company developed the space pen at no cost to the US Government. :)

firetender

great catch; There goes my credibility!

...although THEY spent millions, no?

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Someone gave me a space pen awhile ago. I guard that thing with my life... it really will write on anything. The downside is that it's really small, hard to grip with wet or slippery gloves, and supposed to be expensive and a hassle to refill. If you get one, get a longer and thicker one with some sort of texture, and try not to get one with a cap. The cap never stays on the pen, which makes life a little harder.

The rest of my service uses those cheap Bic things. A few people also use those Sharpie fine-tip pens. I really don't like those... they bleed everywhere if you don't write fast and never seem to write well on gloves. I also can't get them to work too well on PCRs, but I'm not sure if people are actually using them for anything but glove notes and worksheets.

Cheap rollerballs are totally fine. I wouldn't have gotten the space pen if someone hadn't given it to me.

Edit: in my non-EMS life, I love my fountain pen. Which is totally useless for EMS.

Aidey

I heart gel pens with a bold tip. I hate writing with light ink. I am very neurotic about my pens, too.. If I for some reason don't have my bold tip pens I whine until we can stop at CvS or something.

pilot-g2.jpg

HA! These are also the only pens I will use at work.

I also carry a black permanent marker. Great for pedal pulses, labeling the ET tubes so you can see the size, and about 100 other things.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I use these sharpies cause they dont smear on our waxy pharmacy labels

41aUEc7LC4L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I found some awesome black gel ink pens at the Dollar Store. They come two to a pack. I bought 10 bucks worth. Best cheap pen I've used. Love 'em!

I also carry a black sharpie on me. Works for writing on just about anything. Perfect to label the syringes when I have to draw up multiple drugs, great for writing expiry dates on the end of the preload boxes when restocking the medic unit and handy for writing "ROB" on my coffee cup, so one of my co-workers doesn't use it for a spitter!

allvitals09

Forum Crew Member

pilot-g2.jpg

+1 These have to be the greatest pen ever invented

mcgrubbs

Forum Crew Member
Fisher SMB-4.

It's a clickie pen...so no lost cap. Has a hard, very durable finish. Swapping the Fisher cartidge is easy as pie. Writes anywhere in any condition.

Everyone who uses it, love it. I keep them around in the nice boxes to hand out to people who deserve it.

M4B.jpg

Pyromedic

Forum Probie
the pen i find that day in my car is my pen :D but im using the bic see through pens, they work wonders for me.

Medic744

Forum Captain
Which ever cheap brand made it into the pen caddie on the desk at work. I am horrible at losing my pen, usually before I even finish checking off the truck.

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
My favorite pens are just cheap ones my college gives out. Every time I go into the office I take another one, hoping to build my stash to a never ending supply.

JPINFV

Gadfly
The only thing I care about is that my pen is huge.