Do Police-Paramedics exist?

Can a Police Officer-Paramedic work within the policing environment?

• Yes or maybe

Votes: 20 74.1%
  • No

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters

EMSSam

Forum Probie
Are there police departments that have paramedic-trained officers?

What do you think are the pros and cons surrounding this?

Cheers
Sam

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'm assuming you mean police officers that also respond to EMS calls and if necessary ride in as the ALS provider...

There's a few places like that but they're few and far between. I know in some rural areas there is EMS that is a division of the Sheriff's Office.

If I remember correctly Highland Park, Tx has a public safety system where the employees rotate through fire, EMS and PD shifts throughout the year and the Squad cars have an ALS first out and airway setup. May have changed though or I may be wrong on which town it is. I know it's in Texas though.

I've always thought LEO/Medic would be a sweet job but I also feel like there could be a conflict of interest.

I know one of the prisons that is somewhat near where I live has there own ambulance but not exactly what you're asking about.

Like I said, I think the biggest con is the potential conflict of interest.

The biggest pro that I see is response times since PD tends to be the quickest to scenes but with that said the majority of EMS calls are NOT time sensitive. Only a handful that I can think of where "seconds count".

Last edited by a moderator:

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I guess its time to dust off this old photo again.

Police_Medic_-_Hell_Beat_You_Well_With_His_Magic_Wellness_Stick.jpg

Anjel

Forum Angel
Gennesse county in Michigan does that.

They are a paramedic unit and go to EMS calls and ride in with whatever private company responds.

But they also do traffic stops and things of that nature.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Sunnyvale California and Kalamazoo Michigan also use the Public Safety Officer position, with each person cross trained and working in Fire, LE, and EMS. Honestly, it kinda sounds like a lot of fun. It may not be the best model as it brings further dilution of skill and it's increasingly difficult to be a master at more than one thing, but it really could be a good time...

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Steilacoom Washington has "Public safety Officers". Firefighter/EMT/LEO. (A good friend of mine was the former Public Safety director) It's a small town and it works for them. A neighboring town provides ALS when needed.

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
The town of Fishers (IN) has a PD member that is a fully-certified Paramedic and maintains his quals as Paramedic. I believe he works under/with the FD as far as his protocols and medical direction, but he is a police officer.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Sunnyvale California and Kalamazoo Michigan also use the Public Safety Officer position, with each person cross trained and working in Fire, LE, and EMS. Honestly, it kinda sounds like a lot of fun. It may not be the best model as it brings further dilution of skill and it's increasingly difficult to be a master at more than one thing, but it really could be a good time...

Agreed. I'd love to work as a PSO somewhere.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Thinking of this again, there's another local example I forgot. Delaware's helicopter EMS is primarily provided by state police with Trooper Medics. They serve in both roles on the helicopter. I tell you, it was bizarre to see the pilot and medic strap on guns when we were toned out for a flight. Keep in mind, a lot of these trooper medics hate their jobs though. They don't really get to do a ton of LE work besides flying around and they don't get to fly a ton of patients either. I think it leads to a lot of time spend pondering how awesome their job sounds on paper and how awful it is in reality.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
What about Police/BLS combo? Not just police officers who carry AEDs but are actually certified EMTs and get dispatched to EMS calls to function as an EMT? I seem to remember seeing at least one police officer in Fayetteville, NC who was a sworn, badge and gun officer while carrying a good sized aid bag on his person

OP
OP
E

EMSSam

Forum Probie
That's interesting - I think I'll post another topic to try to see what people can come up with as pros vs cons.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I think many departments will have sworn officers that are also trained as EMS/Paramedics. Especially in competitive positions, it looks good on a resume.

What I think you're looking for is a full time LEO that also regularly responds to EMS calls as an ALS provider.

The only agency that I'm aware of that does that, that aren't public safety officers/fire, is Genesee County Sheriff's Office in Michigan. It's them or a surrounding county, it's been a few years.

They actually respond to EMS calls in their SUVs, initiate ALS care, and transport in the ambulance when EMS arrives. One of my instructors worked for the agency and continued the great EMS tradition of sharing many war stories. There was the time he took his duty belt off to pacify a patient, and some of the challenges he faced with combative patients. Do you restrain them with soft restraints of cuffs?

I grew up in a community that did the Public Safety Office deal, and while it looks great on paper, it's not pretty when there is an actual fire. In my experience most Public Safety Officers are officers first, then fire fighters if they have to, and finally EMTs if the ambulance never shows up.

OP
OP
E

EMSSam

Forum Probie
Pros and Cons of a Police Officer-Paramedic

I am trying to get as much scope as possible on the following topic, and would appreciate any information/thoughts you have:

Allowing police officers who are also trained paramedics (BLS or ALS) to perform some paramedic skills/interventions during their duty as police officers in time-critical situations.

1. What do you think are the pros and cons of this?
2. How could the 'conflict of interest' be ironed out?
3. In my view, the officer would have to be law enforcement first, and paramedic second - what do you think?
4. Are there any incidents that you can think of that would benefit from having a police officer-paramedic attend?

I look forward to hearing all your responses.

Achilles

Forum Moron
I grew up in a community that did the Public Safety Office deal, and while it looks great on paper, it's not pretty when there is an actual fire. In my experience most Public Safety Officers are officers first, then fire fighters if they have to, and finally EMTs if the ambulance never shows up.

How about volunteer FF/EMT and being a paid Officer?
Works when there's a fire, there is always police reserve and mutual aid if you need one extra guy on the road.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
What about Police/BLS combo? Not just police officers who carry AEDs but are actually certified EMTs and get dispatched to EMS calls to function as an EMT? I seem to remember seeing at least one police officer in Fayetteville, NC who was a sworn, badge and gun officer while carrying a good sized aid bag on his person

The town I grew up in had four officers on the road, about half of who were EMTs, the other half being MFRs. We had POC fire/EMS so the cops went on every medical call and would initiate BLS care before the ambulance showed up. They are pretty good at actually getting in and providing care and not just "getting the story."

How about volunteer FF/EMT and being a paid Officer?
Works when there's a fire, there is always police reserve and mutual aid if you need one extra guy on the road.

I think police reserves are the exception not the rule across the country. In the above town the police were not FFs mostly because there were so few of them on duty. Many of our highway guys were FFs though, and they would staff the engine during the day when it was tough to get anything out with the volunteers.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Duplicate threads merged and poll added.