Did I do everything I could have/did I do anything wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
My question us why are you so interested in trying to make people act off-duty? No other health profession struggles with this issue that I'm aware of.

I guess it's something about no other health professional practicing their trade in the middle of a 5 lane superhighway.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I guess it's something about no other health professional practicing their trade in the middle of a 5 lane superhighway.

You mean like flight RN's? Do they have a moral and ethical duty to help when off duty?

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
You mean like flight RN's? Do they have a moral and ethical duty to help when off duty?

I haven't checked into their Oath or Code recently. What does it say?

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Nothing about the care we provide is special because it's done out-of-hospital as opposed to in-hospital. What EMS tends to be masters at is the logistics of transport, which isn't really our concern off-duty is it?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Does that mean you won't also work in the back of an ambulance?

No, but I think that people who commonly work in the back of an ambulance without their seat belt on are idiots almost to the point of deserving any injuries they get when in an accident. I have the same view for people who drive emergency vehicles recklessly because they "have the right of way" when the lights and sirens are on.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Just my opinion if someone gets in an accident in front of me I am going to stop and render care as it is the way I was brought up to help my fellow citizen. You can do whatever you want!

So your opinion is now the ethical standard for MA? Personally, whether I stop or not is dependent on a lot of issues, including location, to give a definite "stop/no stop" argument.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
No, but I think that people who commonly work in the back of an ambulance without their seat belt on are idiots almost to the point of deserving any injuries they get when in an accident. I have the same view for people who drive emergency vehicles recklessly because they "have the right of way" when the lights and sirens are on.

I won't go as far as to call them 'idiots' but it surely would have been *easily* avoided.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Nothing about the care we provide is special because it's done out-of-hospital as opposed to in-hospital. What EMS tends to be masters at is the logistics of transport, which isn't really our concern off-duty is it?

We'll agree to disagree. EMS is a completely different animal from in-hospital care.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I won't go as far as to call them 'idiots' but it surely would have been *easily* avoided.

Ofcourse theyre idiots. Anyone who rides in a vehicle without a seat belt is an idiot.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Just my opinion if someone gets in an accident in front of me I am going to stop and render care as it is the way I was brought up to help my fellow citizen. You can do whatever you want!

If it's only your opinion, maybe you should stop calling out those that disagree with you?

Also, what is the point of state mandating that I stop at an accident off duty. That could easily put the provider in a bad position, and what business does the state have being involved in what people do off duty?

Not to mention, such a law is almost unenforceable. Even if you are silly enough to have placed large EMS related stickers on your vehicle, there is no way to prove that you were actually driving the vehicle at that time.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Ofcourse theyre idiots. Anyone who rides in a vehicle without a seat belt is an idiot.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

You might be right, but I'll just refrain from using bad words.

ClarkKent

Forum Lieutenant
I would never work in those states.

I agree wit Sasha on this one. The Good Samaritan Laws will only cover you so far.

The Good Samaritan Laws
"designed to provide limited legal protection for citizens(which you are one off-duty) and some health care personal when they are administering emergency care.

Page 56 Emergency Care by barndy​

JPINFV

Gadfly

Is there a better term? It's about on par with riding a motorcycle without appropriate equipment. People don't get to complain about safety when they fail to avail themselves to the current safety equipment provided.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Is there a better term? It's about on par with riding a motorcycle without appropriate equipment. People don't get to complain about safety when they fail to avail themselves to the current safety equipment provided.

I'll let other people do the name calling. If one fails to use proper safety when operating or riding in a motor vehicle then they have used *extremely poor judgement*.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
We'll agree to disagree. EMS is a completely different animal from in-hospital care.
We can agree to disagree all you want, science pretty well proves physiology, pathophysiolgy, pharmacology, ect doesn't change because of the lack of walls.

EMT-MA

Forum Ride Along
So your opinion is now the ethical standard for MA? Personally, whether I stop or not is dependent on a lot of issues, including location, to give a definite "stop/no stop" argument.

You can say whatever you want! Your entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine! Stop or don't stop, I don't really care what you do or don't do!

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief

JPINFV

Gadfly

...all the more reason not to go into a situation with out the proper safety equipment, like a big vehicle with flashing lights telling people to slow down and move to another lane.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiot

"An idiot, dolt, or dullard is a mentally deficient person, or someone who acts in a self-defeating or significantly counterproductive way. "

It's not nice to make fun of the mentally deficient.

"1. an utterly foolish or senseless person.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/idiot"

1. Additionally, calling a spade a spade is not making fun of someone.

2. Are you willfully ignoring the "or someone who acts in a self-defeating or significantly counterproductive way" part?

Status
Not open for further replies.