COVID VACCINE - The Megathread

Would you get the Pfizer vaccine if it were available to you?

• Total voters

FiremanMike

Just a dude
Where are folks at with masks at work? We’re still in surgical masks for all calls, and the ED requires everyone be in a mask. N95 for respiratory calls.

Many of the crews are “done” with masks so we look kinda dumb sometimes. Having half the guys in surgical masks kind of defeats the point of reducing transmission by healthcare providers.
To be honest we’re hardly ever wearing masks. All the local ERs still require them, but only 2 of them actually say anything if we don’t, so those are pretty much the only places we wear masks..

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Where are folks at with masks at work? We’re still in surgical masks for all calls, and the ED requires everyone be in a mask. N95 for respiratory calls.

Many of the crews are “done” with masks so we look kinda dumb sometimes. Having half the guys in surgical masks kind of defeats the point of reducing transmission by healthcare providers.
We're still wearing N95s or at keast surgical masks (mostly N95) to every medical call regardless.
When you see an engine company on a scene with everyone wearing masks and then in the grocery store buying dinner with no one wearing masks it does beg the question....
I'm in this and don't like it^ 😅 I guess there's a perceived higher risk going to a sick person versus just out in a store, although we probably should since we're still a high risk state.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I think there is probably still an argument to be made that we are pretty excellent vectors for disease and frequently enter into high risk people's homes. How much of an argument there is to be made...well I have no idea and seek other's thoughts.

Department policy says we wear masks. Our medical director wants us to wear masks...forever. I doubt this will happen.

I do struggle with our crews that blatantly disregard our local facilities (SNF, urgent care, etc) that all have clear "masks required" signage and a basket of masks out front. Most people aren't going to speak up to us, we need to maintain the implicit trust placed in us, even if we don't like it.

Mike Hammer

Forum Ride Along
The vast majority of all vaccine adverse reactions for any vaccine ever are seen immediately or short term. Pfizer and Moderna have immediate and short term data showing that adverse effects are almost entirely mild to moderate.

Couldn't this in part due to the fact that we haven't had time/don't continue to study a lot of things on a true long term (decades) basis?

Summit

Critical Crazy
Couldn't this in part due to the fact that we haven't had time/don't continue to study a lot of things on a true long term (decades) basis?
We have good data across many vaccines long-term studies and nothing had safety signal for development of complications long term. Same deal here. It's just the same as asking well if you took ibuprofen for a week might you develop some complication from that in twenty years? Bloody unlikely! These are short duration of action.