correct hospice etiquette

medicaltransient

Forum Lieutenant
What do y'all say to a hospice patient when you drop them at the er or transfer them home?
Everyone else I say: I hope you feel better, nice meeting you. Sometimes I say god bless you.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
What do y'all say to a hospice patient when you drop them at the er or transfer them home?
Everyone else I say: I hope you feel better, nice meeting you. Sometimes I say god bless you.

I would stay away from saying "god bless you." Don't want to offend someone.

I usually say something such as "best of luck to you." All really depends on the situation though.

GirevikMedic

Forum Crew Member
The first place I worked did a ton of hospice IFTs as there was a facility we contracted with. Pretty much, (in my experience) it's more how you act and present yourself to the patient and family. Like anyone else, just be pleasant and respectful, make conversation as appropriate. Don't talk about how everything's going to be all better or whatever though. The patients and family all know the clock is ticking, some are at different stages of dealing with it but in 99% of cases that's one thing they know... it's past the point of getting all better and you may come off as insincere or an a**h***.

EMSComeLately

Forum Crew Member
To the patient, "I hope you're comfortable." To the family, "I'm glad they're home."

Last week, one passed en route with spouse riding along front seat while I was riding in the back. Not a good day for me.

cprted

Forum Captain
I usually take a little extra time to make sure they're as comfortable as can be and then say, "take care, it was very nice to meet you."

jlw

Dirty cot jockey
Make them as comfortable as can be, and my go to "closing statement" is something along the lines of nice meeting you.

EastCoast42

Forum Probie
In my experience, you just have to treat them like everyone else, while being aware of certain "phases" that could possibly be offensive.

I tend to say: "Are you comfortable? Ok good, well it was nice meeting and I hope you have a good day"

I tend to add the "good day" part to make them feel "normal" instead of feeling better, which could be taken as insensitive by some.

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
Most of my hospice patients were beyond the point where I had to say anything, since they were barely conscious. But the families would usually thank us on our way out, and we'd just thank them for the kind words and wish them a good night or something similar. "Goodbye sir/m'am" also works, so long as you sound gentle and compassionate, rather than casual.

Whatever you say to them, just make sure it sounds heartfelt and you'll be fine. Or if you don't have anything good to say, you can always just "slip out to grab something" after dropping them off and just leave. If this seems like a tempting option by the end of a transport, then the feeling is probably mutual.

Last edited:

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't remember how many patients I was taking home that died en route; fun one was the 120 mile one way trip. He died about 80 miles into it. Had to call funeral home to have them meet us at a rest area; and call the county sheriff there to have them come so that there wouldn't be problems with that; (who of course called their 911 service, because he was dead) major mess; 4 page narrative

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I also like to talk to the family on home hospice transfers and emphasize that we are available 24/7 if they cannot get the pallative care they need from hospice in a tiny fashion. That's more specific to our system (and most lower volume ones), but it is a service that we are happy to provide.

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
I also like to talk to the family on home hospice transfers and emphasize that we are available 24/7 if they cannot get the pallative care they need from hospice in a tiny fashion. That's more specific to our system (and most lower volume ones), but it is a service that we are happy to provide.

I'm confused. Are you offering to take them somewhere else, or do you have palliative care capabilities on your ambulance beyond what hospices have?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
He means home hospice, that is, bringing someone home to die. Often, there is just an on call nurse who's not there when you need her. When the patient is actively dying or id in pain, it's not as pretty as you see on TV. Paramedics can, with medical control orders, give more pain meds or and certainly provide support.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
He means home hospice, that is, bringing someone home to die. Often, there is just an on call nurse who's not there when you need her. When the patient is actively dying or id in pain, it's not as pretty as you see on TV. Paramedics can, with medical control orders, give more pain meds or and certainly provide support.
Exactly. Even moving the patient to another room or the bathroom if that's what is needed.

If hospice has an extended ETA we try to work with them on a care plan and if that requires medication we can get orders for that. So long as hospice is coming we do not necessarily have to remain on scene either.