Coronavirus Discussion Thread

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
On of our local hospitals has a decent number of positive patients are they have been internally reporting that they have a couple of criticals in the 40 year old age range.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
So one of the area services brings me a kid last night, zero symptoms of any communicable disease let alone covid 19.

They are wearing tyvek suits and have a particulate mask on. After they are done with report I asked them why they are dressed like glow worms, apparently they are wearing their type c suits to every call. In this whole thing all of them have touched their face at least once and haven't cleaned their hands a single time.

It's one thing to be cautious, but what they are doing has zero effectiveness.

Sled Driver

In a Wuhan Wet Market
Guys great info being put out.
Since the Account profiles do not give locations, it would be helpful to know which Hospital, The State, The City or Dept. as allowable, or that you are comfortable providing some detail as to where these things are going on to give some context. Thanks.
Be Safe.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
You work in a hospital right? Is your facility not being affected by this?

How do you think the US government should respond?
I do work in a hospital. We have not yet been affected by this at all, though we fully expect to be in the not-too-distant future.

I'm not sure what the feds should do, but the constant drumbeat of apocalyptic predictions from the media are not helping at all, nor is the lack of coherent leadership at the federal level. The anxiety over this is already palpable and probably going to get much worse, and it's largely unnecessary and potentially very harmful.

I agree, however once the virus is under control, everything will bounce back.

Yes, the stock market is (understandably) down, and businesses will be hurting for at least a month; but in a few months, everything will bounce back up. Retails supermarkets are making money, cleaning companies are making $$$$, big pharma is getting millions....

Things will slow down, but they will catch up pretty quickly; we just need to get this virus under control, and all the chicken little's in the news media to stop panicking the public by saying the sky is falling.
I hope you are right, but I am not so optimistic. This isn't just about the market tanking and then recovering a few months later. There's a lot more at work here, financially and economically speaking. The economic impact of this could easily be at least as bad as the crash in 2008, and potentially much worse. In a few days we just added $1T more to our already insane national debt, all the major national banks have dropped interest rates to zero and flooded the market with cash, many individuals who live paycheck to paycheck are already out of work or about to be, and businesses large and small are already being negatively affected. And this thing hasn't even really begun yet.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Well all dine in wating has been closed through the end of the month in Indiana and surrounding states. Can still do take out or delivery for the time being. We also had our first Covid death today. Didnt say where but I assume it was the Indianapolis area since there have been no confirmed cases south of there.

KingCountyMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Lot's of our folks are sick, lot's in quarantine or isolation. We are shutting down everything here. I think one of our biggest issues going forward is the rate we are burning through our PPE. If we keep going like this we will run out of gowns and masks etc. I have plenty of TP and Corona so I'm good. A trip to Costco is quite the adventure now. I don't think COVID 19 is the biggest threat facing us though, I think it's social media. Covid does definitely suck from what our sick peeps have told us though.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I was just told by other crews that people in the county are suppose to shelter in place, and supposedly violators can get a misdemeanor? I haven't been officially told yet or know the details, but it is on the news online.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Lot's of our folks are sick, lot's in quarantine or isolation. We are shutting down everything here. I think one of our biggest issues going forward is the rate we are burning through our PPE. If we keep going like this we will run out of gowns and masks etc. I have plenty of TP and Corona so I'm good. A trip to Costco is quite the adventure now. I don't think COVID 19 is the biggest threat facing us though, I think it's social media. Covid does definitely suck from what our sick peeps have told us though.

Social media and/or news media will be the downfall to our society.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
I was just told by other crews that people in the county are suppose to shelter in place, and supposedly violators can get a misdemeanor? I haven't been officially told yet or know the details, but it is on the news online.

Since it’s a misdo, don’t sweat the ticket. No court for theft or battery, this won’t go far. They MUST allow people to shop.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.

Are you still running EMS services? Do you have enough people to staff the system? When you say "shutting everything down" you mean stores and restaurants... Like we're doing here in PA?

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I’m curious as to what our PPE plan is. Are we going to be expected to run calls without it?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Some of my jobs are asking that we reuse PPE from calls where there is not a high suspicion of COVID exposure. If there are decon procedures I suppose that's fine but generally speaking I'm not wearing an N95 or gown unless there is suspicion anyway...

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Some of my jobs are asking that we reuse PPE from calls where there is not a high suspicion of COVID exposure.

10 times for low risk. 1 and done for high risk patients.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
To me, reusing the mask doesn't make sense. The front of the mask is contaminated. If you are using it because it is possible the patient has something, how do you know if they did or didn't have something, and that when you reuse it, how are you avoiding cross contamination? Wherever you put it, you are contaminating something. Back in your pocket? Contaminated. Plastic bag? Contaminated. Touch the front with your hand? Contaminated? It seems pretty impossible to not cross contaminate, if you are reusing it. I feel like reusing it just leads to a false sense of security.

Scroll down to the bottom where it says is titled in bold "Risksof Extended Use and Reuse of Respirators". The whole page talks about how it is past practice to reuse, but the problems associated with reuse. To me, it seems like a circle jerk. We are short mask, reuse it to conserve mask, but the mask is contaminated.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Anyone using half-face respirators instead of disposable n95s? Any recommendations 3M, Scott, MSA, etc? Not that you can get any masks currently but it seems that you can still easily get N95/P100 filters in bulk for reusable masks compared to the minimal availability of cheap N95s. May be something we look into getting for the future

Sled Driver

In a Wuhan Wet Market
I am running 3M Half Respirator, size Medium fits most. I ordered a large pile of P-100 filters moments before the current madness hit. I carry the mask and extra filters in a Blackhawk gas mask carrier with anti microbial wipes in the case leave it in my truck. I have worn it for long periods of time and it is comfortable enough. I think you will be happy with it, don't forget to shave. The way things are going around here I may need it for food shopping.

Summit

Critical Crazy
There is guidance on reuse of masks. Are you saying you're actually reusing gowns? What's a recipe for self contamination? That is.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
There is guidance on reuse of masks. Are you saying you're actually reusing gowns? What's a recipe for self contamination? That is.
Many texts from AMR saying to reuse gowns if you wore it but the patient was not suspicious for COVID. Also folks need to be wearing full PPE if participating in the decon process so unless the sole provider with contact also does the decon (takes forever), I am not sure how we will not have both ambulance crew members in full PPE.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Seems current home management recommendations(at least local to this state), are Zinc, Vitamin C and Tylenol for fever.

Avoid Elderberry, NSAIDs, and steriods.