Coronavirus Discussion Thread

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
Just so we’re on the same page, I mean post May 1 America compared to pre May 1 America..
Yea over time things change, I mentioned some of them. I think the only conclusion we could make if we go from full on quarantine to no quarantine on May 1st and there is a huge spike in cases is that some interventions (of the ones we implemented) were likely helpful. If no huge spike you really can't make a conclusion.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Is access to PPE improving?
I will admit that our company has been on top of things. Plenty of gowns, surgical masks, N95s company wide. We are now working with hospitals who are having difficulties to help them source PPE. We are now wearing PPE on all flights regardless of patient complaint and while at base using surgical masks.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Were good on supplies. N95 gown gloves eyes and a surgical mask on all calls. All patients get a surgical mask as well. Hoping the gowns on all end before the summer hits.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Were good on supplies. N95 gown gloves eyes and a surgical mask on all calls. All patients get a surgical mask as well. Hoping the gowns on all end before the summer hits.
Summer has already hit here. High today was 107

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Gowns and Surgical masks are still hard to come by, and the hospitals requiring us provide a surgical mask really hit us hard for like a week, but at this point it seems like every Larry, Moe and Curly has their own N95, so that helps. Gowns are still and issue, however we have been getting suits donated from contractors and we had a decent amount stocked from Ebola

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
Bold statements that are really going out on a limb...seem like normal guys...not suicidal....clearly they believe what they're saying publicly is worth the heat they're getting...

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Bold statements that are really going out on a limb...seem like normal guys...not suicidal....clearly they believe what they're saying publicly is worth the heat they're getting...

They’re right. Get out and play unless you have a reason to be sincerely concerned of getting ill.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief

ACEP and AAEM released a joint statement on this today.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Their data was obviously skewed and math comically bad. They cannot Really be that incompetent.... Ulterior motive seems likely.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
Looks like remdesivir is going to get Fauci and FDA approval

I’ve had a couple of patients on it. For those who are profoundly sick (conventional vents with 20+ peep, inverse ration, HFOV...) it doesn’t seem to be delivering on the hype. Even those on more conventional settings there isn’t this instantaneous turn around that I think has been projected in the media.

I do worry that if it gets approved (and subsequently there doesn’t need to be study inclusion or compassionate appeal) that it will end up bought up for low acuity patients and that referral hospitals will not be able to actually get it.

E tank

I'm glad the ACEP put out that statement but unfortunately, the horse has left the proverbial barn. The video of these two docs has gone viral- pardon the term.
Well, they really probably should have stopped with the 2 paragraph joint statement. If these two guys turn out to be right, even by accident, the "additional information" part will look pretty dumb. And the reality is, everyone is speculating, there have been pretty serious flaws in some credible epidemiologic models and data gathering and interpretation and what will actually happen is pretty much up for grabs.

They absolutely were correct in making the first statement, but IMO should have left it at that.

E tank

I’ve had a couple of patients on it. For those who are profoundly sick (conventional vents with 20+ peep, inverse ration, HFOV...) it doesn’t seem to be delivering on the hype. Even those on more conventional settings there isn’t this instantaneous turn around that I think has been projected in the media.

I do worry that if it gets approved (and subsequently there doesn’t need to be study inclusion or compassionate appeal) that it will end up bought up for low acuity patients and that referral hospitals will not be able to actually get it.

It's more useful early than late.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
It's more useful early than late.

Sure, but the profoundly sick drop quick. Most of our extremely sick patients went from asymptomatic to maximized therapy in less than 48 hours, many in less than 24.