Comparison and discussion of Body armor

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
If were going to use the .0000000001% event as a scapegoat, you should also drive around with a nuclear bomb shelter.
Getting shot at is more than a little more likely than having a nuclear weapon dropped on your head. And carrying a vest is more than a little more practical.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Getting shot at is more than a little more likely than having a nuclear weapon dropped on your head. And carrying a vest is more than a little more practical.
Getting stabbed is just as likely as being shot, but most ballistic vest dont offer protection against blades.

The point is I dont think shunning professionalism is a valid excuse when the same level of protection is offered in both outerwear and concealable.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I don’t own any kind of body armor, and haven't worn any since my military days.

However, I do carry a pistol on me most of the time and have a rifle in my truck all the time. Lots of us do that even though we know chances are overwhelming that we’ll never use them.

With that in mind, I’ve often wondered why I shouldn’t keep a vest and compact bugout kit (or more technically, a “get home kit”) under the seat along with my truck gun?
Getting stabbed is just as likely as being shot, but most ballistic vest dont offer protection against blades.
That is like saying there’s no use in getting your Hep B vaccine because it doesn’t protect you from Hep C or HIV.

The point is I dont think shunning professionalism is a valid excuse when the same level of protection is offered in both outerwear and concealable.
Well for one thing the OP said this was for personal use, not for use at work.

For another, I wouldn’t agree that there’s anything unprofessional about pulling on a vest when the situation warrants. I might even argue that it’s unprofessional not to, whether your employer provides it or not.

OP
OP
DragonClaw

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
For another, I wouldn’t agree that there’s anything unprofessional about pulling on a vest when the situation warrants. I might even argue that it’s unprofessional not to, whether your employer provides it or not.

In the current situation I would not. But if I went to a 911 company, I'd see.

Not needing it for BLS IFT doesn't mean I won't ever wish I didn't have good body armor.

Just the other day a person was shot at my complex. I heard the shots and. .... like .... an idiot.... I went outside to see. It was like 0400 and I'm in need with my eyes closed and I hear it. One shot. Then like 5 more. No news on if they died.

I went to see, because honestly, the sound of trouble makes me wonder if someone needs help. I didn't search under ever rock, just poked my head around and didn't see anything.

On the job I put that aside for my patient and partner. There's no reason to take that risk while in uniform and there's more than me at risk. I wouldn't subject anyone else to the risk I might to myself off duty.

Would it have been bad to wear body armor? Would it make me look more like a target? Might I have been next because I went looking for a second?

I don't know. But if I did get shot in the vest, better than not. Worse than not being shot at all.

Riots in the city. Businesses destroyed. Large mobs. The official march was pretty peaceful but other things weren't and they got smashed up. People got hurt.

Even before these incidents, I have always felt like it should be easily accessible and available.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I don't know. But if I did get shot in the vest, better than not. Worse than not being shot at all.
Ummm
What?????

You might want to rethink that.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Today's lesson....when you know you're tired is when you need to force yourself to think clearly and double check what you do.

OP
OP
DragonClaw

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I don't know. But if I did get shot in the vest, better than not (having the bullet caught in the vest). Worse than not being shot at all.

That's what I was thinking 😅

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I don't know. But if I did get shot in the vest, better than not (having the bullet caught in the vest). Best is not being shot at all.

That's what I was thinking 😅
FTFY

OP
OP
DragonClaw

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan

The iiia+ is stab protection too. If I got a vest it would be with stab protection. A local company issues stab, not ballistic vests.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Safe Life Defense makes a soft/flexible/concealable body armor panel that's supposedly rated to Level IV (capable of stopping up to 7.62x39mm) while being "Handgun, Shotgun, Strike, Slash, Stab & Taser Resistant". All at 5.4lbs per panel.

... and $1,549.00 per panel.

If I had the extra cash laying around I'd love to buy one and shoot it up to test those claims lol

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
The first question you need to address is what level of protection you need. Are the shootings in your area mostly with handgun caliber or are rifles in the mix? People around here love Draco AK pistols which is a difficult round to stop without plate armor. Green tip 5.56 is readily available in bulk and may be an issue in certain areas.

Realistically IIIA soft armor, preferably concealable, is a good investment for reasonable protection.

SafeLife FRAS looks interesting but I can't find enough about it

Aside from that you are looking at either expensive special threat III+ or bulky heavy IV plates and external carriers. Hesco special threat plates are thin enough to conceal under clothing with certain slick carriers.

OP
OP
DragonClaw

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
The first question you need to address is what level of protection you need. Are the shootings in your area mostly with handgun caliber or are rifles in the mix? People around here love Draco AK pistols which is a difficult round to stop without plate armor. Green tip 5.56 is readily available in bulk and may be an issue in certain areas.

Realistically IIIA soft armor, preferably concealable, is a good investment for reasonable protection.

SafeLife FRAS looks interesting but I can't find enough about it

Aside from that you are looking at either expensive special threat III+ or bulky heavy IV plates and external carriers. Hesco special threat plates are thin enough to conceal under clothing with certain slick carriers.

I mean, it's Texas. A lot of us have a lot of guns and ammo. Red and green tip both. Tokarev has gone though body armor before, I've heard.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah the only thing I've seen about those FRAS is their own marketing. I'd be more than happy to buy one and shoot it up to let everyone know if its good or not, anyone got a spare 15 hundo lying about? 😅

I've also seen (from a variety) of stab plates designed, well, to stop knives, like a thiner rigid plate that can be worn in conjunction with soft armor.

Once again now you're balancing extra weight (though i don't think stab plates by themselves are particularly heavy/bulky, but still...) added stiffness to an otherwise soft vest, which could potentially compromise the concealed aspect, etc