Can an EMT B become an ER tech?

CardiacJunkie23

Forum Ride Along
l

I am an EMT Basic and I am getting tired of the late nights. Can an Emt b become an ER tech??

aandjmayne

Forum Crew Member
I am not sure about your area. But in Louisiana you can. If you go to the hospitals website and look up the qualifications/job description for an ER Tech it will tell you. In Baton Rouge, the minimum is CNA or EMT-B cert. required to work as an ER Tech. That's not to say that you wont have to work nights though. Remember just like in EMS, ERs are 24-hour facilities too. In Baton Rouge each ER shift is 12 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
You could always try looking at hospital websites. There're generally a section called "careers" where the hospital lists their open positions. Generally a search for something like "emergency" will list all of the emergency department jobs, which could include openings for ER techs.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Our ER requires either an EMT-B, CNA or current enrollment in nursing school.

emt83

Forum Probie
Why not?

I have been out of EMT school since May 2008, and I work at a hospital here in TX as a businness associate. I have failed my EMT Nat Cert 2 and have one more chance before a 24 hr remedial is needed. I have talk to the hospital and they said if I could get my Cert I can pull some Overtime as ER Tech. So just ask around and get to know your hospitals around you!! I am definitely back studying hard and will pass!!

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
So what makes you think the hours will improve with ERT. The new ones work the late shifts here.

Code 3

Forum Captain
So what makes you think the hours will improve with ERT. The new ones work the late shifts here.

From my personal experience, hospitals tend to me more flexible when it comes to scheduling. You can hire on as PT, FT, or Per Diem/Casual whereas the EMS agencies down here require FT employment for at least 6 months and new shift bids every 3-4 months. Starting shifts at the hospitals for ER-Tech are based on needs and you'll see openings for both days and nights. Obviously, it all depends on the HS and area.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
My EMT-Basic partner worked as an ER Tech in an urban hospital. I know of many EMT-Basics who have been ER techs with phlebotomy training and ACLS.

alphatrauma

Forum Captain

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief

Xueyon

Forum Probie
l

I am an EMT Basic and I am getting tired of the late nights. Can an Emt b become an ER tech??

Well if ur tired of the late hours then Er tech is out of the ? In Cali, hospitals mostly just prefer you be a Basic of CNA with bls card. I have 3 buddies who are tech and make $21.50hr an do 4/12 and sometimes 5/12. But they had no social life. So think again before going to er.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Can you calrify what 4/12 means and 5/12 means? Around here we use FTEs or hours per pay periods.

Levinoss

Forum Crew Member
I'v not worked in a hospital but I have worked 7/12's for 3 months at a time doing hard construction in the elements. 3 months of 7/12's in what I did was about as long as I could go without a few days of real rest. Took me about a week to get used to working 12's and they are not too bad as long as you have a day or two off for rest. I'm kinda looking forward to working 4-5/12's a week.

Don't let 12 hour shifts scare you untill you can judge for your self if you want to do them or not imo. Not saying anyone is trying to scare you or anything just giving a little insight into 12's.

EMERG2011

Forum Crew Member
If you live in DC - GW (Level 1 Trauma Center, if you're interested!) is a definite yes. The only one thats a definite no is MedSTAR (Washington Hospital Center, also Level 1), they only accept paramedics.

Xueyon

Forum Probie
I'v not worked in a hospital but I have worked 7/12's for 3 months at a time doing hard construction in the elements. 3 months of 7/12's in what I did was about as long as I could go without a few days of real rest. Took me about a week to get used to working 12's and they are not too bad as long as you have a day or two off for rest. I'm kinda looking forward to working 4-5/12's a week.

Don't let 12 hour shifts scare you untill you can judge for your self if you want to do them or not imo. Not saying anyone is trying to scare you or anything just giving a little insight into 12's.

WHOA!! 7/12's.... How bout family time? How did you do that? Haha I'd be going crazy. But for ER tech go for it. Better pay and benefits. But if you want to go into ER take a phlebotomy course. That'll get you in ER for sure. Some will train you while working as an ER tech.