Brand New Petition: NATIONAL STANDARDS FOR EMERGENCY SERVICE COMMUNICATION!

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
Change.org is playing grab-***. Go join a local/municipal/state committee or go to EMS on the Hill with the big boys and actually affect change.

OP
OP
Anonymous555

Anonymous555

Forum Ride Along
I don't know, I think the community getting together in any way is a good thing.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
What works great for one area might not work or be practical at all for another area.

Are we talking just about radio language such as plain English vs codes? Or are we talking about actual equipment such as UHF vs VHF or encrypted systems so the general public can't listen in?

While a huge department may be able to afford a very high dollar nice radio system smaller systems may not be able to afford it.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
There are standard interoperability channels on conventional UHF, VHF, and 800mhz systems. Most grant funded communications initiatives require these channels to be programmed in exchange for funding. 800 systems almost always need to be P25 compatible for funding. What is it that you seek for "national standards?"

I'm not sure that needs to exist either. I have three radios in my ambulance because that's what we need. VHF makes sense for us given the terrain, but the urban area to our east is on 800s. We make it work, but it doesn't make sense for us to all be on the same system, each system has different needs.