Backboard straps?

GorillaMedic

Forum Probie
So I'm curious—what are your agencies using to strap people to backboards, and what are your experiences with it? We're using webbing, which is cheap and holds them in but a pain to secure, and it takes too long. So what are you using, and is it better?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Spider straps, which i love, and standard buckle straps. We use the straps, two of them, with the box pattern. Works ok, but i still like spider straps better.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
D-ring straps.

Take a while to get them secured but it works good. There are also a lot of different uses for them.

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
I've used disposable (duct tape-ish) straps, spider straps, and pre--attached straps with clips.

Spider straps are the most secure, and pre--attached are the quickest, but they all work fine as long as you don't plan on doing backboard flips and gymnastics.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
In the old days we used automobile seat belts. Actually worked fine, cost zilch if you knew a scrap yard (if we did extrication training we'd always steal the belts). That was before universal precautions though.

My issue with D-rings is that mistakes are easier to make.
My issue with buckles is that they need to be tossed if they become at all "loose" or broken.
My issue with either is that with dark or red straps, I would get them back with blood still on them.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
In the old days we used automobile seat belts. Actually worked fine, cost zilch if you knew a scrap yard (if we did extrication training we'd always steal the belts). That was before universal precautions though.

My issue with D-rings is that mistakes are easier to make.
My issue with buckles is that they need to be tossed if they become at all "loose" or broken.
My issue with either is that with dark or red straps, I would get them back with blood still on them.

At one place I worked, logistics picked up the spiders at the hospitals and washed them between every use. That was nice. They even replaced them when the velcro wore out.

mycrofft

AH, Velcro. Use a comb or dog brush to get the hair/blanket fuzz/dried tissues out of the male velcro. Toss when the female velcro gets too fuzzy.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
At one place I worked, logistics picked up the spiders at the hospitals and washed them between every use. That was nice. They even replaced them when the velcro wore out.

Same here. They are used one time and then left at the hospital. Our VST picks them all up and washes them before they are used again.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Spider straps at the sports medicine job, which is what the rest of the county uses well (this may be how we acquired them...).

At the ambulance job we have seatbelt style 9' straps with speed clips. I much prefer the spider straps. I don't think three straps on the backboard is really doing all that much compared to how well spider straps immobilize someone.

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
I've used disposable (duct tape-ish) straps, spider straps, and pre--attached straps with clips.

Spider straps are the most secure, and pre--attached are the quickest, but they all work fine as long as you don't plan on doing backboard flips and gymnastics.
Like this?

lsb.jpg

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
Look up "tiger straps"

They were designed by a flight medic here in north Texas. They are similar to webbing, but zip up the middle, and secure in about 30 seconds...

You can also release different areas of them to gain access for IV and BP procedures.

mycrofft

I've seen a KED placed on a student in 30 seconds. In real life...not so fast.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
backboard straps? that's for your rich people, my bosses won't budget for them. we also save money by not needing to purchase backboards with pins.....

we use cravats/triangular bandages, folded several times, and secured to backboards. the person get tied to the board, and when they are taken to the ER, the trauma team can cut them to pieces. plus we never have a collection of odd male and female ends of different types from the different brands that have been purchased over the years.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Spider straps here. Like others said, our VSTs pick them up from the ER and wash them before restocking them into a unit.

When I was a lifeguard and a LG supervisor we had seatbelt style straps for our pool boards. Easier and faster than spiders, ever tried to properly secure spiders while treading water? Not fun.

socoemt

Forum Probie
Spider straps here

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
So I'm curious—what are your agencies using to strap people to backboards, and what are your experiences with it? We're using webbing, which is cheap and holds them in but a pain to secure, and it takes too long. So what are you using, and is it better?

Oh I so know who you work for and I agree it's a PITA. Huge learning curve and can be a complete cluster if folks who aren't real good at it try to help (I'm still pretty much in this category. I dont understand the concept of running lights and sirens to save 20 seconds, and then wasting 10 or more minutes while 7 people take turns standing on the webbing while you try to find both ends at the same time while strobe lights make it look like some kind of weird SnM scene. I also had a really bad experince with a combative head injury patient and the webbing. 5 of us couldn't make it work and 4 of the 5 were actually good at it. I feel that Velcro spider straps would have worked much more effectively. Honestly I don't really see what's wrong with duct tape like HFD uses. Yes it looks terrible but it should be about effect rather than appearances. Granted I've never actually used it just seen it used but it looks more than effective enough for the purpose. I also saw someone strap a patient down with webbing so tightly once that it caused significant discomfort to the paitient and I suspect some nasty bruises that were no doubt rather hard to explain. When the patient complained about the straps cutting into him he was told and I quote "if the restraints aren't causing you pain they aren't effectively immobilizing you".

Also I just don't feel like the webbing is cleanable enough and it gets reused a lot.

Ok rant over.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Like this?

lsb.jpg

So if this s happening quite a bit I suspect the service might have bigger problems then what kind of straps they're using.

It would however save a great deal of room at the ER while holding the wall.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I prefer spider straps if they were put away correctly. Otherwise, I prefer 12' straps to 9' straps. You can secure larger people using different techniques using the longer straps. You do have to periodically practice with the straps to keep your skill level up, but other than that...

Now for water rescues, I prefer straps with buckles or clips. Those things are much, much easier/nicer to use than typical straps or spider straps when attempting to secure a victim in the water. Come to think about it, I haven't done a water rescue in years... but I still remember how!

JPINFV

Gadfly
The funny thing about this conversation is that it's all about which way of performing an intervention not supported by science or logic works best. There's a reason why as soon as a patient reaches the ED the board comes off... and doesn't go back on even if we go someplace like CT.