Anyone rocking a Ambo like this for regular 911 calls?

COtoWestAfricaMEDIC

Si vis pacem, para bellum
IMG_1364.JPG
IMG_1365.JPG

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Doesn't ATCEMS have some big *** trucks like that?

Most of those huge rigs are strictly for CCT runs.

blachatch

Forum Lieutenant
mecklenberg county EMS uses some similar to that with the four doors.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
FDNY and some other NYC hospitals were ordering four door cabs for a bit, that's a long truck. I'd like a super cab with the suicide doors for storing out personal gear/additional family riders but no thanks on the full crew cab.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Norman Regional's unit is only used for CCT calls (I just interviewed there for their new EM residency and we toured the EMS station as well as the hospital).

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
Berkeley FD and San Ramon FPD have commercial vehicle chassis but only single cab. The dual cab is ridiculous... Who wants the option for THAT MANY RIDERS??!!

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
If you've got a three person crew it would be nice, same for CCT transfers when there's a good change of family being present (especially NICU type transfers).

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
Berkeley FD and San Ramon FPD have commercial vehicle chassis but only single cab. The dual cab is ridiculous... Who wants the option for THAT MANY RIDERS??!!

Dearborn Fire in Michigan has some single cab commercial chassis, but I think that's just a case of Fire liking big toys. Humboldt General Hospital EMS in Nevada has some of the four door commercial chassis, and they are the only other service I have seen use those ginormous trucks. I don't see how commercial chassis are practical for most 911/rescue services. The company I work for used commercial chassis for CCT/SCT stuff, but they were expensive to operate and hard to maintain. Type III trucks are what we currently use for CCT, and they have ample space for our needs.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Saw a company during Sandy deployment who had that style however the rear doors were replaced with roll up gear doors (like some fire engines have).

Edit: after finding the picture the cab is more of an extended cab than a crew cab.

462ad20f2c7d3a8ced08dc5e4e2b4e0e.jpg

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
Miami uses ambulances similar to what DesertEMT posted above. they are made by braun.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
A couple local FDs use the big Freightliner semi truck cabs (off the top of my head Alhambra, Huntington Beach and Beverly Hills, Burbank used to but their new frontline RAs are Ford F550 pickup truck chasis) but only the single cabs.

I think Hall Ambulance has an International they use for ground CCT, not sure but I think that one might be a 4 door?

Reactions: NPO

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
Dear God, I'd be scared to get within a large number of metres of that thing, let alone work it and no way in hell I am driving it!

Our Mercedees turnkey ambulances are large enough for me!

9030984.jpg

Not that I am aware of.

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
In Howard County, our old Paramedic 95 used to be a quad cab (although not quite as big as the one in OP). It was used mainly for precepting newbie medics, to allow them to sit in the front seat but still have the "real" medic close at hand.

38231-large.jpg

edit: Emphasis on the *old* part - it was never all that popular, and rode like a beast. Since been replaced with a normal cab unit.

BEN52

Forum Crew Member
Saw a company during Sandy deployment who had that style however the rear doors were replaced with roll up gear doors (like some fire engines have).

Edit: after finding the picture the cab is more of an extended cab than a crew cab.

462ad20f2c7d3a8ced08dc5e4e2b4e0e.jpg
This rig is an example of "size for a reason". NAD runs 911 EMS and provides extrication / rescu for a rural 100+ square mile district. The roll up doors contain extrication and rescue equipment.

DieselBolus

Forum Crew Member
As much as I'd LOVE to roll around in a rig like those, I really don't get it. More expensive to buy, fuel, maintain, and insure.

I also don't understand the logic behind throwing that much rescue gear on an ambulance. If your transport crew is playing with extrication tools, you're greatly increasing the likelihood they will be injured and unable to transport. And what happens if there is a high acuity transport in an MCI? Does the rig drive away with all of its tools?

Even high acuity CCT calls don't require THAT many toys, and a standard AEV Traumahawk box will have no problem swallowing up a balloon pump, enough infusions to bend your IV pole, two RNs, an EMT/medic, and the pump tech. A NICU rig with a hydraulic lift platform and a gigantic box will comfortably sit on an E450 chassis.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
As much as I'd LOVE to roll around in a rig like those, I really don't get it. More expensive to buy, fuel, maintain, and insure.

I also don't understand the logic behind throwing that much rescue gear on an ambulance. If your transport crew is playing with extrication tools, you're greatly increasing the likelihood they will be injured and unable to transport. And what happens if there is a high acuity transport in an MCI? Does the rig drive away with all of its tools?

Even high acuity CCT calls don't require THAT many toys, and a standard AEV Traumahawk box will have no problem swallowing up a balloon pump, enough infusions to bend your IV pole, two RNs, an EMT/medic, and the pump tech. A NICU rig with a hydraulic lift platform and a gigantic box will comfortably sit on an E450 chassis.
If they're the only unit with no fire backup for miles and miles I get it. The ubit in the southern part of my county has a full set of tools, and we are looking at adding them to the other two units. If theres an mci and.they're on that scene they should be staying there with the patient they already have. You can and should call resources from other places if needed.