AMR Hiring SoCal?

teufulhund

Forum Probie
Hey guys, long time lurker, first post.
Ive been working as a EMT doing IFT for a quick second now down in Socal, and want to try to move to a ALS job. Should I wait and apply to AMR Riverside next time they are hiring, ( who knows when that will be though) or man up and deal with a hour and a half commute to AMR San Diego or AMR Redlands?
Thanks in advance.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey guys, long time lurker, first post.
Ive been working as a EMT doing IFT for a quick second now down in Socal, and want to try to move to a ALS job. Should I wait and apply to AMR Riverside next time they are hiring, ( who knows when that will be though) or man up and deal with a hour and a half commute to AMR San Diego or AMR Redlands?
Thanks in advance.
Does it have to be AMR? Have you looked into Hall? They will put you through their medic program for free and pay you while attending. Grass is greener than AMR.

OP
OP
T

teufulhund

Forum Probie
Does it have to be AMR? Have you looked into Hall? They will put you through their medic program for free and pay you while attending. Grass is greener than AMR.
I would love to go work for hall, Ive heard nothing but great things. But Bakersfield is more then a three hour drive away for me.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
I would love to go work for hall, Ive heard nothing but great things. But Bakersfield is more then a three hour drive away for me.
What area you coming from? If you have nothing weighing you down, it's a very affordable place to live.

OP
OP
T

teufulhund

Forum Probie
What area you coming from? If you have nothing weighing you down, it's a very affordable place to live.
Murrieta. Ive thought about maybe going out there and renting a room or something. But I havent been able to summon the courage to do anything like that yet.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Murrieta. Ive thought about maybe going out there and renting a room or something. But I havent been able to summon the courage to do anything like that yet.
I rented a 2 bedroom 900 sqft apartment with 2 bathrooms and a balcony for $800 a month 3 years ago when I started out. I only had to pay for the electric bill.

OP
OP
T

teufulhund

Forum Probie
I rented a 2 bedroom 900 sqft apartment with 2 bathrooms and a balcony for $800 a month 3 years ago when I started out. I only had to pay for the electric bill.
Dang thats not too bad at all. I'll def have to look into heading that direction. I really have nothing left here in Murrieta for me. Its just where all my family lives, other then that no commitments.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Dang thats not too bad at all. I'll def have to look into heading that direction. I really have nothing left here in Murrieta for me. Its just where all my family lives, other then that no commitments.
Hall also still gives out a moving bonus I beleive. Their are rooms for rent as alot of nurses rent out etc. Theirs also air bnb which is a cheap option if you just wanna come for work. All shifts are pretty much 12s, 4 days on 3 off, 3 on 4 off.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
AMR -Riverside as you stated is your closest option. I’ve heard mixed reviews from current and former employees. From the current sounds of things it sounds like it is pretty bad over there. However things might change with their new union contract (key word is maybe).

I would highly recommend you look into AMR - Hemet/Pass division. It’s only a 40 minute drive from Murrieta. I have picked up several shifts there in the past and have always been impressed with how they handle things.

OP
OP
T

teufulhund

Forum Probie
AMR -Riverside as you stated is your closest option. I’ve heard mixed reviews from current and former employees. From the current sounds of things it sounds like it is pretty bad over there. However things might change with their new union contract (key word is maybe).

I would highly recommend you look into AMR - Hemet/Pass division. It’s only a 40 minute drive from Murrieta. I have picked up several shifts there in the past and have always been impressed with how they handle things.
I’ve heard good things about Hemet Division as well.
Honest opinion, I’ve heard if I go into their main station in Hemet and hand in my resume to a manager even if theyre not actively hiring that it looks really good. Thoughts?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I’ve heard good things about Hemet Division as well.
Honest opinion, I’ve heard if I go into their main station in Hemet and hand in my resume to a manager even if theyre not actively hiring that it looks really good. Thoughts?
It used to be that way everywhere. You can still give it a try but don’t be surprised when they say “the entire process is online now”. AMRs HR department, which is based in Rancho, handles all the applications/resumes. They will then set up testing and interview days for you at Hemet division.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Hemets only looking for medics right now. Hemet use to be hemet ambulance and most the employees are still there. So it's still an old school division separated from all the drama.

OP
OP
T

teufulhund

Forum Probie
Hemets only looking for medics right now. Hemet use to be hemet ambulance and most the employees are still there. So it's still an old school division separated from all the drama.
Ya I didn’t see any openings online. I know Hemet and riverside both just finished a hiring spree so who knows when they’ll have open applications again.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Ya I didn’t see any openings online. I know Hemet and riverside both just finished a hiring spree so who knows when they’ll have open applications again.
Honestly it is a bad time to try to get picked up in Riverside county as an EMT. The Stagecoach and Coachella festivals are almost done. We hire between 30-40 EMTs just for the festivals. Once they are done those employees get placed on a first to hire list for the division of their choice.

OP
OP
T

teufulhund

Forum Probie
Honestly it is a bad time to try to get picked up in Riverside county as an EMT. The Stagecoach and Coachella festivals are almost done. We hire between 30-40 EMTs just for the festivals. Once they are done those employees get placed on a first to hire list for the division of their choice.
So I’m better off getting on with another division and transfer after six months.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
So I’m better off getting on with another division and transfer after six months.
I don’t have the exact details or enough information to tell you what would be the best option. I’m pretty out of touch with Hemet and Riverside divisions.

Technically you are able to transfer after 6 months it does not always happen that quick. The division you are leaving has to agree to let you go and the division you are transferring to has to have an opening. I know a couple of EMTs who have waited up to a year for their transfer to get approved.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
If I ever had to work for AMR again, I'd only go to Hemet, I put in close to 10 years there. Management with very few exceptions is pretty solid. Their ops manager is hands down the best boss I've ever had. It's a great place to get experience, though from when I started to when I left, the standards went wayyyyy down. They used to have some of the highest clinical standards for medics and a great rep throughout the county. The HVAS feel is still there a little bit, but AMR corporate has been doing their best to get rid of it. Over anywhere else in the area though, definitely. I worked at Hall too, and if you want to move, it's a better company than AMR.

Mufasa556

Forum Captain