A question about MAST pants

RedheadErin

Forum Crew Member
My book has a section about MAST (PASG) pants. It says they are "relatively contraindicated for treatment of shock." What exactly does "relatively contraindicated" mean, and why does it apply to the PASG?

Also, the book lists quite a few reasons NOT to use the PASG, but is extremely vague about when to use it. What is this equipment actually good for?

Last edited by a moderator:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I believe they were found to not be effective (kind of like trendelenburg position). I haven't heard of a service using them for well over 5 years.

OP
OP
R

RedheadErin

Forum Crew Member
Trendelenburg isn't effective? Holy smokes! :blink: When was that decided? This book is ALL ABOUT Trendelenburg. I hate to think I will be standing patients on their heads for no good reason:unsure:

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Trendelenburg isn't effective? Holy smokes! :blink: When was that decided? This book is ALL ABOUT Trendelenburg. I hate to think I will be standing patients on their heads for no good reason:unsure:

Uh, probably before I was even born. Not only is it ineffective but it is most likely harmful in many situations. I think there is some evidence that the Modified Trendelenburg has slight benefits.

Last edited by a moderator:

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Trendelenberg position is good for a transient movement of blood into the core. The key thing is "transient." The effect doesn't last very long.

The PASG is probably best used as a very big pneumatic splint or a really large tourniquet. The downside of using pneumatic splints comes from releasing them. Deflation can allow movement, and that movement can cause a lot of pain. If the PASG is inflated to normal pressure, it easily acts as a tourniquet and you will have to treat the patient as if they're a crush victim after only a short time.

PASG does have it's uses... but it's usefulness is limited. If that makes any sense.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus

Yeah. There is a reason we've been pretty critical of your book. It sucks. Trendelenburg was a surgeon in Germany who came up with the idea in the late 1800s(?) as a way of moving the abdominal organs into a better position for visualization during surgery.

Putting someone in Trendelburg is on my list of Reasons To Kick Someone Off Scene.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Even the merit badge classes are teaching that shock position is now supine and not legs elevated.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Yeah MAST pants... I have those on my rig. I think their is about an inch of dust on them. (ok not really since I try to keep everything clean). Honestly I have not yet figured out a good use for mast pants...

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I found MAST pants on a backup rig we had in service the other day. I asked the captain if he wanted to keep them on there and he said we might as well. I asked why and he answered "well the case is really useful for trendelen..." and then trailed off when he remembered that too also out of style.

Nonetheless they remain on the ambulance for the "why not" reason.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
PASG were part of the EMT curriculum when I first got my card in 1988. I'm pretty sure that was the last time I've seen them.

Let's see, The OP's book has suggested Trendelenburg, PASG, high flow oxygen… What's next? Cramming a wallet in a person's mouth while they're having a seizure?

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Let's see, The OP's book has suggested Trendelenburg, PASG, high flow oxygen… What's next? Cramming a wallet in a person's mouth while they're having a seizure?

Bellows inserted into the mouth to ventilate a patient...

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Blowing tobacco smoke into the rectum to resuscitate a drowning.

(This is not the job you want to have on the code team.)

Rialaigh

Forum Asst. Chief
Yeah MAST pants... I have those on my rig. I think their is about an inch of dust on them. (ok not really since I try to keep everything clean). Honestly I have not yet figured out a good use for mast pants...

Open bi lateral femur fractures with uncontrolled bleeding.

Amputation of leg with uncontrolled bleeding.

Those are the only two good ones I can think of in 15 seconds that are even reasonable

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
PASG were part of the EMT curriculum when I first got my card in 1988. I'm pretty sure that was the last time I've seen them.

Like I said, before I was born :ph34r:

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Use a clyster pipe and you won't mind a bit.

Signed,

Dr. William Cullen

Time to start carrying mulled wine in ALS kits!
Bl17b12_p23.jpg

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
We had to be certified to use them in 1978, and I was in 1981. Had a co-worker who was the volunteer in his EMT class as the victim. They pumped him up, talked for a while then opened 'er up. "MAN!" he said, "That's the closest to an orgasm I've ever had in a classroom!". And he passed out too.

Another evolutionary dead end unless they figure out a better use for them. And I don't think they'd stop fx femur with uncontrolled bleeding. They were designed to compress the vascular bed generally in the lower extremities and sometimes the lower abdomen, not shut off an artery like the femoreal or popliteal.

Rialaigh

Forum Asst. Chief
We had to be certified to use them in 1978, and I was in 1981. Had a co-worker who was the volunteer in his EMT class as the victim. They pumped him up, talked for a while then opened 'er up. "MAN!" he said, "That's the closest to an orgasm I've ever had in a classroom!". And he passed out too.

Another evolutionary dead end unless they figure out a better use for them. And I don't think they'd stop fx femur with uncontrolled bleeding. They were designed to compress the vascular bed generally in the lower extremities and sometimes the lower abdomen, not shut off an artery like the femoreal or popliteal.

better then holding a hand on it and hoping :p

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
How about kneeling on a wad of dressing materials on it and calling for dust off at the same time?:)