A Poll: When You're Off-Duty

gronch

Forum Probie
Yes

I carry trauma supplies due to my outdoor activities. I make my outdoorsy friends do the same.

The EMT sticker on my car is to remind my friends that I can't save them if they shoot themselves, only prolong their agony.

No I don't pull over unless it is absolutely safe and I feel I could make a difference in the outcome.

You're welcome.

Oh wow my first post!

cmyk

Forum Probie
I have a small first aid kit in my car intended mainly for personal use. No stickers. I do carry a disposable mouth barrier for CPR, but I haven't had to use it.

I've never stopped to help out while driving. I haven't seen a major accident that didn't already have EMS on scene, and minor accidents happen all the time down here. If I were out at a restaurant, store, etc. and someone looks like they're having an emergency, I'd consider talking to them and offering to call 911.

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
I've stopped and helped at an accident before Fire/EMS arrived. Really all you're doing is keeping people calm and making sure that no-one does anything unsafe. And it that vein, the most important thing is to be safe yourself when doing this. There's no reason to get hurt trying to be an off duty hero.

As for equipment, if you're stopping and helping, the only two things that you can do to truly save someone's life would be bleeding control and CPR. One just requires your hands under the new AHA guidelines (and at most a mask), and the other just requires a towel or a shirt, so there's no reason to get crazy with keeping gear in your car.

SSwain

Forum Captain
I have a basic FA kit in my van. Band aids, tape, gauze and ointments. These are for family use mostly.
I have EMT plates mostly because it lets me park in the "emergency employee" parking slots at the station when I am on duty.
I have helped out on 3 different scenarios....one was a head on that happened literally right in front of me.(911 was first action) One was an ATV accident on the neighbor's land, and one was just an assist to an officer to help subdue a potential jumper on a bridge.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I keep most of my outdoor gear in the bed of my truck so there's usually a good first aid kit and some other stuff in there. I keep a bag with some Kerlix, CAT, gloves, and some other bulky dressings under the back seatstoo. I figure there's two things that I can do to actually make a difference while not at work; stop a major bleed and start CPR. That little bag will take care of those things.

I'll stop when I'm in my district (600 square miles) since I am "on duty" as soon as I call it in. In places where I know the ambulance is a long way out I might stop too if it looks bad and there is no one else there. I don't have any markings on my vehicle anymore, in the past it was only a parking sticker.

In district some of the cops and deputies might recognize me. If they have a problem I have my county ID badge in the truck so they can see that if there's an issue, which I doubt I'll encounter.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
No supplies, I don't stop except to take pictures. but I do have a small thin white line decal on my truck.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
I do have a pretty aggressive trauma kit/BOK that I (try) carry on me at all times. I don't real plan on using it on a citizen in an MVC since I primarily travel in urban/suburban areas with quick response times.
No identifying factor on my POV.
I am not protected any more than a citizen would be under good sam laws.
Never had the opportunity. I would not expect the LEO on scene to recognize me. I don't anticipate there being any reaction from an LEO. We're pretty friendly.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'll stop when I'm in my district (600 square miles) since I am "on duty" as soon as I call it in. In places where I know the ambulance is a long way out I might stop too if it looks bad and there is no one else there. I don't have any markings on my vehicle anymore, in the past it was only a parking sticker.

Do you get paid for an hour or anything once you call it in? Vollunteer department that makes sense, not a paid department though.

At the end of the day, when I go home from
work I try to leave work there. I'll stop in the middle of nowhere if it looks like they could use a hand but even then I'm hesitant to ID myself as a Paramedic, even if I'm in the county we cover.

Most LEOs would recognize me from
The two city departments. Not sure about SO, probably about 50/50 with them.

Edit: I have a trauma kit I take with me riding and camping. I'll only use certain parts of it on very close friends and family members. I used to have a couple pairs of gloves and a CPR mask in my truck but last time I cleaned it the gloves were destroyed so I tossed them and took the mask out. No stickers anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
I've been meaning to put together a trauma bag for desert races, going shooting, or other extended ETA activities, but haven't been able to bring myself to spend the money on something I'll take out a handful of times a year. I wouldn't use it for freelancing in the city.

On my off roader, I have a memorial sticker for one of our medics that was killed in a TC. I wouldn't put anything on my daily driver.

Even when I'm getting paid, I hate having to run around on the freeway. Twice, I've almost been squished by someone driving through the scene. Stopping is very circumstantial. If there is a substantial threat to life, without anyone on scene, I will stop. After you've been around the block awhile, you can quickly size up when it's imperative you stop and when to just move on. If there are blinky lights already there, my assistance isn't needed. When I first got my EMT, I stopped at a triple fatal, and got a royal *** chewing that only the CHP can provide.

I stopped at more TCs before I took my EMT course, than I have in the six years since.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Cops generally don't care in mily humbe experience.

No reason to carry a jump kit. Can't do much anyway.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Do you get paid for an hour or anything once you call it in? Vollunteer department that makes sense, not a paid department though.

At the end of the day, when I go home from
work I try to leave work there. I'll stop in the middle of nowhere if it looks like they could use a hand but even then I'm hesitant to ID myself as a Paramedic, even if I'm in the county we cover.

Most LEOs would recognize me from
The two city departments. Not sure about SO, probably about 50/50 with them.

I'm not sure, I've never tried. The only time it's happened I was in uniform on the way to work when I came upon a pedestrian versus deer accident.

I should probably go dig out the policy book, it's something about responding to emergencies in district in a personal vehicle is discouraged but not banned.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
A Few Questions: When You're Off-Duty

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you all would be so kind as to answer a few questions as to when you're off duty.

Do you carry personal jump kits, first aid kits (advanced, standard, etc), oxygen, or any first aid supplies in your personal vehicles when you are out and about as just a citizen? This would be equipment purchased by yourself, not on loan or owned by your employer.

Do you indicate on your vehicle in any way "First Aid on-board, EMT, Paramedic," or anything of the sort in any place on your vehicle? Possibly as a sticker, taped piece of paper, or placard.

In your local city, county, province/state, country, are you protected if you render aid as an off-duty EMT/private citizen?

Have you ever stopped and helped someone with just your own personal equipment, and if so, did you ever hesitate that the LEO would not recognize you? What was the reaction?

Thanks everyone! Here's to great discussion! :)

1. I have a basic first aid kit in my car. I have a beefed up medical bag for friends and family use only ( camping , hiking etc)

2. No ... NO

3. There is no Good Samaritan law in my province. We are also self regulated ( we own out license) and are considered medics 24/7 on or off the clock. If we identify ourselves a a medic we then have a duty to act. liability and malpractice insurance is a requirement to be licensed here.

4. I have stopped before but only had to identify myself as a medic a handful of times . The only thing you need in your car is (maybe ) a basic first aid kit and a cell phone.

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
I have a small bag with my pulse ox, steth, and first aid materials that I use at work. But I no longer advertise what I do when in uniform.

Av8or007

Forum Lieutenant
1. YES. Although my bag is a bit larger than it probably should be, everything in it is within my scope of practice. Basically basic trauma supplies, wound care stuff, BLS airway management,, O2, diagnostics (BP, pulse ox, steth, temp .etc) and some basic OTC meds.

2. No, although up here in Canada I have seen some paramedics w/ medic plates on their car. Depends on the medic.

3. As long as you stay within your scope of practice, you are protected from civil liability under the good sam act, provied you are not grossly negligent.

This IS different from the "regulated health professions act" in Ontario, interestingly there are some exceptions to performing invasive acts (e.g. injections) if "rendering first aid or temporary assistance in an emergency". These provisions will protect you from criminal (provincial law) liability under the RHPA, but likely not civilly if you start doing "very ALS" procedures (IV's .etc). Basically, as long as you stay within your scope you're good. OTC meds are usually OK with the normal word-games regarding "recommend vs. administer"
Epi-pens and ASA are fine to give/assist for pretty much anyone, including lay public.

This one is obviously VERY region/jurisdiction dependent. I do know that we have a lot more leeway in Canada w/ regards to stopping to help with a BLS bag then you guys seem to have in the states. In most provinces, all of the BLS skills (EMT-B) fall under the MFR/EMR levels and do NOT require medical direction.

Last edited by a moderator:

CentralCalEMT

Forum Captain
A Few Questions: When You're Off-Duty
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you all would be so kind as to answer a few questions as to when you're off duty.

Do you carry personal jump kits, first aid kits (advanced, standard, etc), oxygen, or any first aid supplies in your personal vehicles when you are out and about as just a citizen? This would be equipment purchased by yourself, not on loan or owned by your employer.

Do you indicate on your vehicle in any way "First Aid on-board, EMT, Paramedic," or anything of the sort in any place on your vehicle? Possibly as a sticker, taped piece of paper, or placard.

In your local city, county, province/state, country, are you protected if you render aid as an off-duty EMT/private citizen?

Have you ever stopped and helped someone with just your own personal equipment, and if so, did you ever hesitate that the LEO would not recognize you? What was the reaction?

Thanks everyone! Here's to great discussion! :)

I usually have a medical kit in my truck with the basics because my friends and I do a lot of hiking and fishing in some pretty remote areas, and I always take it with us and usually just leave it in the back seat when i'm done, but its primary purpose is for personal use.

I have nothing on my truck to indicate that I am a paramedic. I am extremely proud to be a paramedic, but do not like to advertise it to everyone.

I have stopped several times off duty. I work and drive through some remote areas to get to work. (My part time company covers almost 3000 square miles with 4 stations and my full time company covers almost 1000 square miles with 3 stations.) I have stopped at some bad MVAs off duty driving to and from work and while heading up to go fishing just because it was such a remote location with such long response times so I could call it in and get the appropriate resources rolling such as a helo or tell dispatch if extrication is needed. If I am near my house in a urban area, I usually just keep driving and call 911 if it looks bad. If I do stop at any accident, I throw on my reflective jacket for my own safety which clearly states "Paramedic" on it since I am going to be in the roadway so it would not really matter if the LEO knew me or not, they would know I was a medic and I have never had issues anyway.

hitman196

Forum Probie
I usually have a pair of gloves on me, my CPR card, and ,my tactical knife. Hey you never know what you will see.

And no I don't think New York Protects us off- duty

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Yes, my duty bag is in my trunk, and in that is a blowout kit i built that stays in my car when im on patrol, so i guess that counts. The pouch is mine, supplies are the PDs

NJEMSTF sticker on my bumper, its technically a parking pass

Yes

No

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
No I do not wear have any identifying material.

I only carry one pair of gloves in my car.

I will only ever stop If i can make an immediate difference I.E cardiac arrest to do CPR.

The only time I have ever stopped was to assist a seizing pt outside a musical festival on my way home.

The longer you fo this job, the less you want to get involved when you perhaps don't need to be.