A Poll: When You're Off-Duty

Canadian

Forum Crew Member
A Few Questions: When You're Off-Duty

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you all would be so kind as to answer a few questions as to when you're off duty.

Do you carry personal jump kits, first aid kits (advanced, standard, etc), oxygen, or any first aid supplies in your personal vehicles when you are out and about as just a citizen? This would be equipment purchased by yourself, not on loan or owned by your employer.

Do you indicate on your vehicle in any way "First Aid on-board, EMT, Paramedic," or anything of the sort in any place on your vehicle? Possibly as a sticker, taped piece of paper, or placard.

In your local city, county, province/state, country, are you protected if you render aid as an off-duty EMT/private citizen?

Have you ever stopped and helped someone with just your own personal equipment, and if so, did you ever hesitate that the LEO would not recognize you? What was the reaction?

Thanks everyone! Here's to great discussion! :)

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you all would be so kind as to answer a few questions as to when you're off duty.

Do you carry personal jump kits, first aid kits (advanced, standard, etc), oxygen, or any first aid supplies in your personal vehicles when you are out and about as just a citizen? This would be equipment purchased by yourself, not on loan or owned by your employer.

Do you indicate on your vehicle in any way "First Aid on-board, EMT, Paramedic," or anything of the sort in any place on your vehicle? Possibly as a sticker, taped piece of paper, or placard.

In your local city, county, province/state, country, are you protected if you render aid as an off-duty EMT/private citizen?

Have you ever stopped and helped someone with just your own personal equipment, and if so, did you ever hesitate that the LEO would not recognize you? What was the reaction?

No.
No.
Yes.
Sort of. It was the day of my NREMT-B testing, so wasn't sure how much I was actually able to do.
Lady at a gas station rolled her SUV coming out of the car wash, going about 20 MPH. I was standing on the corner, passenger (15ish female) ejected and arm was pinned underneath with an obvious tib/ fib.
Local cop (and a personal friend) was actually sitting next to me and we were actually talking about my NREMT when it happened.
He got a jump bag out of his squad car, threw it to me. Wasn't actually able to do much, pt was completely unresponsive, so wasn't worried about pain. Got an initial set of vitals, splinted the leg best I could with what I had (used a pillow that had flown out of the back of the SUV when it rolled). By that time an engine had pulled up and they took over.
That was actually my first pt interaction ever :rolleyes:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I carry a small first aid kit for myself, family, and friends.

I have a small star of life decal on the back window of my truck because I am a whacker.

Yes to an extent.

Nope. If I see something I'll call 911. If it's a hard to locate area or a really bad accident I may stop and do basic life saving treatment (CPR, Bleeding control, etc) but that's all. I would not say I was an EMT/Medic. Just a concerned citizen.

OP
OP
C

Canadian

Forum Crew Member
Hi everyone,

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
No

No

First aid is fine.

Once, but only because the car was smoking heavily under the hood and the driver was unconscious. Just pulled them out and laid them down.

Didn't care if LEO recognized me or not. They didn't say a word. Don't think they cared.

The best thing you can do for someone is call 911 if they need it. So keep a cell phone on you and that should suffice.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
One thread will suffice. No need to post this everywhere. People will see it.

cprted

Forum Captain
Not usually.

Nope.

Off duty I'm covered my the Good Samaritan Act and insurance provided through a professional association.

Yes, once or twice. Just stated, "hey I'm an off duty paramedic, anyone need to be looked at?"

Altitudes

Forum Crew Member
I have a box of gloves (they said I needed them for the class & I just left the box in my car - useful for when I do work on my car to keep my hands clean) & a pocket mask in the trunk. Also have a tactical knife with the window breaker & belt cutter in my center console, but that's really more for me in case I ever needed to cut myself and/or my passenger(s) out. I have a small star of life on the rear window.

Never stopped.

Last edited by a moderator:

UnkiEMT

Forum Truck Monkey
Premium Member
Very rarely, I have a kit that's basically just 15 kinds of gauze, 3 kinds of tape and a pocket mask that I'll carry with me when I'm going to the back of the beyond. Just meant to do what amounts to advanced first aid.
I actually have a EMT license plate on my car, and my motorcycle jacket has a paramedic back patch, both for the same reason, to get me out of tickets.
Theoretically, yes, completely, in practice, yes, just so long as I don't screw up too bad, and don't try to do anything ALS like.
I'll eyeball scenes to decide if a) there's a significant enough MOI/NOI to merit EMS attention and b)Whether it's likely that EMS has already been and gone (ie. a tow truck is on scene). If a) is yes, and b) is probably not, I'll stop. If there's PD on scene, I'll just ask them if they're all set for EMS, if they're not on scene yet, then I'm just a helpful bystander, though I'll announce myself if they try to take the scene from me (not fighting back if they insist on having it after that, but that's never happened.)

All of that being said, my goal when I stop in my PoV isn't treatment, it's assessment, I don't do full assessments, either, since let's face it, the responding crew is going to have to do it all over again, anyhow...I wouldn't trust the word of some dude who said he was an off duty paramedic on my call, why should they trust me on theirs? I'm just trying to determine life threats and gather enough information that I can pass something reliable on to dispatch. The only time I've spent more than 60 seconds per patient on assessment was a lady who fell in the middle of the road that I stopped for not as an EMT but as a good citizen...I wound up spending 15 minutes with her to determine that she was an SI risk.

The only time I'll treat is when there's a life threat that can't wait.
To date, I've only treated once, and that was just 5 rounds of CPR while I waited for EMS.

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
I absolutely do not carry gear of any kind. Ever. I live in an Urban setting with plenty of Ambulances and Hospitals.

I never wear anything EMS related, I have no stickers or markings on my vehicle and would never have them. I think small understated stickers are ok for others, just not my style.

I have never really looked into whether I am protected, I try not to do much of anything off duty.

I always feel like I don't want to stop as it always seems to become more of a hassle than anything else. We are not superheroes and unless someone is in Cardiac Arrest and we are doing CPR there is little we are going to be doing. That being said I have stopped if it looked like someone might need to have 911 called or just need a basic helping hand. I have identified myself as EMS in the past but it was always a mistake as people began to ask for me to clear them to not go to the hospital or tell them if they were Ok. Now if I sotp I just ask if anyone needs 911 called.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Hi everyone,

NO
NO
Good Sam Law only
Assist with out equipment and meds, and its rare. I only do it if I personally feel there is something I can do with no equipment which is not being done. With no equipment and no meds this is pretty rare, but for example I did stop an arterial bleed one time off duty.

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
I would love to hear from some folks that would answer yes to these questions. Not for any mean reason. All kidding aside I have known some very compassionate and hard working EMS folks that really live and breath EMS every moment of every day. Lights sirens stickers , every shirt an EMS shirt, personal backboards , 02 , AEDs, etc etc. We would always joke a bit about it, but I can't help but respect that dedication and the desire to help people. I just question how practical this is and whether it promotes professionalism?

I love my job. I am passionate about it. But I also love having time to myself and with my family. I can't imagine taking up more of that time with what I do 6 or seven 12s a week anyway.

Altitudes

Forum Crew Member
I would love to hear from some folks that would answer yes to these questions. Not for any mean reason. All kidding aside I have known some very compassionate and hard working EMS folks that really live and breath EMS every moment of every day. Lights sirens stickers , every shirt an EMS shirt, personal backboards , 02 , AEDs, etc etc. We would always joke a bit about it, but I can't help but respect that dedication and the desire to help people. I just question how practical this is and whether it promotes professionalism?

I love my job. I am passionate about it. But I also love having time to myself and with my family. I can't imagine taking up more of that time with what I do 6 or seven 12s a week anyway.

Personal boards, O2 tanks, & AEDs? That seems just wayyyy over the top. I don't think I would ever wear a shirt that had EMS related stuff on it out in public.

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
I don't wear EMS shirts or have stickers because I don't want to talk about EMS with people who are not involved with it. I actually find it to be a very uncomfortable experience when people talk to me about EMS. Generally they don't understand the job, don't care to, and say absurd things like "you're a hero" "you save lives" etc. I end up feeling very awkward.

Altitudes

Forum Crew Member
I don't wear EMS shirts or have stickers because I don't want to talk about EMS with people who are not involved with it. I actually find it to be a very uncomfortable experience when people talk to me about EMS. Generally they don't understand the job, don't care to, and say absurd things like "you're a hero" "you save lives" etc. I end up feeling very awkward.

Hah. I'd feel like a huge jerkoff wearing a tshirt that said "EMT" or something on it.

If you saw my post earlier, then you saw I don't have much. Just the gloves because if I did stop to help, I'm not touching someone covered in blood with bare hands & I wear them when I do stuff with my car so my hands don't get (as) dirty, so those have a dual purpose for me. Pocket mask is pretty self explanatory as well. Then the knife which has multiple purposes & you never know when you may need a knife. I have the small sticker simply because I'm proud of the fact that I am an EMT (plus if a cop asked me if I was an EMT & decided to cut me a break with only a warning, I wouldn't complain lol). I've never had anyone ask me about it in a parking lot or anything.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Hi everyone,

I have a basic first aid kit in my car. Besides that, I can pretty much improvise most things I need anyways. After all, is there really that much difference between a band aid and some toilet paper or paper towel and scotch tape?

Besides my hospital parking pass, no.

At the state level I can provide good Samaritan care up to my level of training.

Have I stopped? Yes.
Did I expect the LEO to recognize me? Considering it was about 2 hours from home on a long stretch of highway with nothing around (15 on the way back from Vegas), no. I expected the CHP officer to not recognize me. Heck, if I was in my home town, I would still answer no.

JPINFV

Gadfly
personal backboards

Where do they store their backboards? Speaking from personal experience (came across my waterpark's board at a hospital half way across the county when at my old ambulance job, cleaned it, took it home, and returned it the next day), back boards do not fit comfortably in cars.

Skittles

Forum Probie
I just keep a small boo-boo kit in my car for my daughter's sake. So, if someone just needs a bandaid, I'm the girl to see.

I don't have any identifying information on my car. Mostly because my car is dirty and I don't want people to think that's how all EMTs are.

I'm protected up to my level of training under the Good Sam law.

If I witness an accident, I stop. My non-EMT job is located on a stretch of road that sees a nasty accident every so often, and since January I've seen two happen. I stop to make sure there are no life threats, and then I sit with the people until EMS gets there. If LEO asks, I tell them I'm an off-duty EMT, but for the most part I just tell them what I saw, and then go on my merry way. They usually don't recognize me, and I don't recognize them.

Drax

Forum Captain
Hi everyone,

No
No
Good Samaritan Laws
Never had the opportunity

Uclabruin103

Forum Lieutenant
Just a standard first aid kit in my car for myself and friends. Commercial one with nothing special in it. And have a rescue tool in my center console for when I need extrication. No sockets whatsoever. If I'm walking or in the mall just as far as asking if they're alright or need ems. Never said I'm a medic. Clear the scene. On any significant TV I'll dial 911 and give a size up but that's all. What can I do by myself with a rollover?