2014 = ems hell

cspinebrah

Forum Crew Member
It seems like as soon as the new year started the call volume has been outrageously high. Non stop in my area. I don't know what it is. My company has been breaking our highest call volume record constantly this past month.

My question is, is it just us orrrrrrrrrrrr is all of EMS blowing up? :blink::mellow:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Are you losing resources so much the same work falls on fewer shoulders?

takl23

Forum Crew Member
Ours are on par with yearly I believe. About 8,000/month.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
It seems like as soon as the new year started the call volume has been outrageously high. Non stop in my area. I don't know what it is. My company has been breaking our highest call volume record constantly this past month.

My question is, is it just us orrrrrrrrrrrr is all of EMS blowing up? :blink::mellow:

Like Mycrofft said, is there a change in resources vs. the norm.

Also take in consideration the baby boomers are getting older with health problems and the like. An increase of elderly patients is more likely going to increase your call volume.

We been on par with our numbers for the last few years. A small increase but nothing drastic

CentralCalEMT

Forum Captain
I do not know what it is in CA, but up here in Central CA, our call volume has increased significantly. We have the same staffing as last year, but units are running many more calls per unit. ERs have also seen a surge in patients, some of the ERs have patient volumes 25% above normal as well. Quite frankly, it is scary. We have been hearing for years how the system was stretched too thin and one has to wonder, at least in parts of CA, if its at the breaking point.

Last edited by a moderator:

RebelAngel

White Cloud
We are slow, so far. Figures. I'm ready to ride as Observer and my district has gotten like no EMS calls.

I'm actually trying to push my Chief to set up things with another EMS company, one with much higher call volume, so I can Observe and eventually do my Clinicals there for part of the time, the rest of the time I hope to be able to do it in my own district. Can't learn anything if I'm not out there watching and eventually doing.

ETA: Maybe I'll get ready to go, head to the FD meeting and drop the Q word, hahaha.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
If anything we're a little slower here I'd say. Yesterday I had one cancelation on scene and that was it, otherwise sat around at post all day. And that was with fewer units available than normal too. Today is just as bad, just over halfway through shift, yet to catch a single call.

My single busiest day of the new year so far was actually the day before yesterday, had three ALS transports in our 12 hour shift on Super Bowl Sunday

mycrofft

OK, absolute numbers are higher some places.

How about per capita for the catchment area? (If calls are up 12%, is population up 12%?).

Are there changing trends detectable in age of pt or % of primary ℅ (or Dx)? (How about average per capita age and age cohorts; are you being invaded by Boomers, is the birthrate up=>more neonates, what?).

Are more of these rides rather than emergencies?

Is ratios of causes of mortality changing? (Coroner or medical examiners' pie chart).
=============
Our big local FD is looking to cut staffing because of "disappointing income" from EMS calls"(??).

Anjel

Forum Angel
We have increased about 300-400 more calls a month. But the severity I guess you can say has gotten worse.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
It's been slower here. If someone sneezes of farts they close the schools, so we don't get the injuries and allergic reactions, and people are going out much less due to the cold, so there's been less sick/feel-me-bads type taxi rides. The BS sick jobs typically make up the bulk of our calls in the winter.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Flu season has been worse this year than usual I guess and we've had more calls as a result. Not that much but apparently more than a typical winter.

Lorianne2010

Forum Probie
A short list of reasons for a higher call volume in 2014.....OBAMA CARE......FLU SEASON....A lot of the country is in a deep freeze ( more homeless people calls).....You can't fix stupid when it comes to those who call EMS for silly reasons like "i have a headache" ......

CentralCalEMT

Forum Captain

How about per capita for the catchment area? (If calls are up 12%, is population up 12%?).

Are there changing trends detectable in age of pt or % of primary ℅ (or Dx)? (How about average per capita age and age cohorts; are you being invaded by Boomers, is the birthrate up=>more neonates, what?).

Is ratios of causes of mortality changing? (Coroner or medical examiners' pie chart).
=============
Our big local FD is looking to cut staffing because of "disappointing income" from EMS calls"(??).

Me, personally, I have a huge increase in super critically ill or injured patients that seem to be on death's door. However, I am a black cloud. :p And yes, the flu season up here is also particularly bad for some reason.

System wide, we have seen an increase on those calls who are just for rides. Not to turn this into a political discussion but many people think that now that they have insurance, everything is free. Unfortunately most insurance providers in their haste to sign up people seem to have inadequately explained the concepts of deductibles, co-pay and fees for services. I see some people have a shocked expression on their face when the ER asks them for a co-pay upon discharge and they are like "It's free, I gave you my insurance card." Sadly, once again, lack of public education is straining the EMS system.

onrope

Forum Crew Member

=============

Same area served, 8% increase in call volume last year. Number of sick pt around the same, increase in rides and misunderstanding of the ems system. "You can't take me 40 miles to the VA?" No sir we can't drive past 10 receiving hospitals on the way.

Your comment about FD staffing being cut is indicative of the problem that FD's face when they get into transport. The only reason private companies make money is because of the barely minimum wage pay and minimal benefits and SSM. As soon as you get employees making a decent wage the whole ambo thing starts to look like a giant black hole. They somehow find analysts and companies that do studies and promise all sorts of increased revenue with transportation when in reality that simply is not the case.

mycrofft

Same area served, 8% increase in call volume last year. Number of sick pt around the same, increase in rides and misunderstanding of the ems system. "You can't take me 40 miles to the VA?" No sir we can't drive past 10 receiving hospitals on the way.

Your comment about FD staffing being cut is indicative of the problem that FD's face when they get into transport. The only reason private companies make money is because of the barely minimum wage pay and minimal benefits and SSM. As soon as you get employees making a decent wage the whole ambo thing starts to look like a giant black hole. They somehow find analysts and companies that do studies and promise all sorts of increased revenue with transportation when in reality that simply is not the case.
Sort of like hosting the Olympics.;)

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
We're already at a little over 14,000 calls this year.

mycrofft

A short list of reasons for a higher call volume in 2014.....OBAMA CARE......FLU SEASON....A lot of the country is in a deep freeze ( more homeless people calls).....You can't fix stupid when it comes to those who call EMS for silly reasons like "i have a headache" ......

Why Obamacare? Actual observation, not a generalization. Seeing more factitious calls where the pt says "I'm going with you because Barack's paying' " ?.