16 y/o EMT Alone in Rig

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I am not saying I agree with it or would allow it but from a legal stand point it might happen.

I don't see it that way. Even if it is a pure transport with no treatment given, a run report needs to be generated. The attending provider signs said report, and a 16 or 17 year old cannot do that. If an EMT riding shotgun signed that report, there would be a problem.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I don't see it that way. Even if it is a pure transport with no treatment given, a run report needs to be generated. The attending provider signs said report, and a 16 or 17 year old cannot do that. If an EMT riding shotgun signed that report, there would be a problem.

I was thinking the same thing...

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Yes if a child shows up at a medical emergency involving my family member you will be dismissed, It is my right.

You know nothing of what high horse I sit on and yes, I am more capable, more educated, more experienced, better prepared physically and emotionally to handle the aspects of my profession.
your right, it is your right. you can sign the RMA form. 16/18/21/25, when the patient is 80, everyone is a child. You are refusing to be treated, by a trained person. if you die, that's your own fault. You can even RMA, and call 911 again, and the same ambulance will probably show up.

age is a very arbitrary number. some states allow 16 year olds to be EMTs. most require 18. some allow 18 year olds to be paramedics. some require you to be 21.

I have knows some amazing 16 and 17 year old EMTs. and some 30 year old EMTs that I wouldn't let treat my worst enemy.
Not going to lie, I wouldn't be super stoked to find out the two crew members allowed my family member to ride in the back with a 16 year old attendant. Just my opinion, don't get all riled up over it.
why not? what is the difference between a 30 year old EMT, and a 16 year old EMT, who were both in the same EMT class? they both passed the class. They both have the same amount of education. the only difference is one guy started their EMT career at the age of 16 (while in HS), and the other worked at McDonalds for 12 years after he graduated high school before deciding to become an EMT.

As for can they legally be allowed in the back, it depends on the state requirement the NJ provisional thing is a new titled, when I became an EMT, I was 16, and was an EMT just like everyone else. now it's a little different, but if the state regulations permit it, than it can be done. it's really up to the individual agency and state regulations to determine if an underage EMT can be allowed in the back of the truck alone with the patient.

Scoobydooz

Forum Probie
that's really strange. In the state of Oregon you have to be 18 to get your license. I remember the paper work back in the day.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
From a public image stand point what does it say about a job when a 16 year old is allowed to do it? I get what your saying about taking the same class and passing the same test but regardless it still looks bad IMO. I don't know many 16 year olds with the majority level to do EMS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
If the EMT riding in with me was 16 while two 18 or older EMTs rode up front you can be sure I would be reporting it. I'm not very old and I respect a 16 year old's desire to do what I do. That said I also care about the image of EMS and a 16 year old working alone does no help to it as that would be knowingly violating laws. I've got no problem with them riding as a third.