Your patient asks you to pray with them

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I also wanted to say that I didn't mean that just because you don't believe in God that you have no morals.
Good. As an atheist, I believe morals do not come from any particlar God. Many religions claim different Gods. Christians can be moral without believing in Zeus.

I am a sinner like everyone else.
I don't believe your a sinner nor is everyone else.

It's kinda like I don't believe in abortion, but I also don't think an abortionest should be shot either.
We should all be civil.
They should also not be stabbed, punched, kicked, assaulted or harassed. No violence should be done at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I am a sinner like everyone else.

Another argument that is tiresome...No, I am NOT a sinner.

You are projecting your beliefs on me and others who are not of the same faith simply because this is what YOU believe.

You telling me I am bad and justifying it by saying you are bad too is poor form.

By making bold statements such as what you did, indicates a very narrow, limited view/approach on life. It is the same as when another poster (Rid) I believe, stated he was sad for us. Why be sad? I'm not...I have a very happy rewarding life. My children are very intelligent, loving beings who have a respect and tolerance for all views of life. They have learned to appreciate people for who they are and that by far is more valuable than automatically excluding types that do not conform or believe as yourself.

Momof7

Forum Probie
Good. As an atheist, I believe morals do not come from any particlar God. Many religions claim different Gods. Christians can be moral without believing in Zeus.

I don't believe your a sinner nor is everyone else.

They should also not be stabbed, punched, kicked, assaulted or harassed. No violence should be done at all.

I agree completly.

Momof7

Forum Probie
What I ment to say is that I agree that abortionist should not be treated as you stated above.

Momof7

Forum Probie
Sorry, I guess I didn't think. I guess it only makes sense that if you don't believe in God you wouln'd believe in sin either.

So maybe I will be safe in saying this... I believe that I am a sinner because I believe that what the Bible says is true. The Bible say "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" And none of this should offend you because you can believe it or not. If you choose to not believe it then it is no skin off your nose. It's the people who do believe in God but may not know what God says about sin that may get their feathers ruffled.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Of course.

It won't take any more then 30 seconds of your time, and if they ask you to say something, just spin it around and say "I'm sure you can phrase it better".

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Even if they ask me if I believe that when they die, they will turn into a tire. If they believe that, I won't say anything against it. While they're my patient, that isn't the time for me to try and convert them to what I believe. My role is to take care of them.

EMT-G36C

Forum Crew Member
If the pt is non critical and the family/friends etc on scene wants to say a prayer with the pt I'm ok with it.

I've only been asked twice to pray with a patient and I side stepped the issue by smiling and saying "Let me take care of your body right now, and when we get to the hospital I'll have them call the chaplain for you, how does that sound?"

Both of them said something like "that would be nice, thank you" or whatever.

Basically, I'm a fairly strong atheist and it makes my skin crawl to pray, or even pretend to. I also feel like it's incredibly disrespectful to the person to pretend or try and fake it. Especially if they expect you to say something out loud, which I would fail at miserably. By passing the issue off to the chaplain, I know the patient is not going to be offended because I said something wrong, and they can pray with someone who at the very least believes in some sort of higher power.

I like this answer, as my religious beliefs conflict with a most other religious views.

As a follower of the left hand path, i cant bring myself to pray to God,Jehovah,Yahweh,Krishna,Allah, etc.

It goes against my beliefs, and I too believe it would be more disrespectful to pretend to care about that.

I will hold their hand and bow my head, or give them a moment with their family if they request it. But that's it.

I like the Chaplain idea.

EMT-G36C

Forum Crew Member
Even if they ask me if I believe that when they die, they will turn into a tire. If they believe that, I won't say anything against it. While they're my patient, that isn't the time for me to try and convert them to what I believe. My role is to take care of them.

This too.

I may not believe in your god(s), but in a pt./provider setting I will never disrespect your beliefs, or try to have a big theological argument.

I am there to help, not preach the evils of religion.

You do what you must to feel better, I'll try my best to make that happen.

If you want to believe it's our deity working through me, awesome.

Sasha

Forum Chief
If bowing your head with them while they pray or during a moment of silence helps them, i don't see how it's offensive. How are they to know your religion or lack thereof to be offended, anyway? We atheists do not wear giant scarlett coloured A's on our shirts.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
If bowing your head with them while they pray or during a moment of silence helps them, i don't see how it's offensive. How are they to know your religion or lack thereof to be offended, anyway? We atheists do not wear giant scarlett coloured A's on our shirts.

I do not bow my head ever Sasha and it is not stubbornness. I will be silent as there are moments where silence should be regarded, but to bow ones head when someone else prays to their god is offensive to me. It is not being true to myself. Why must I "appear" to be of their same belief? I do my best to not ever be a hypocrite as it is one thing I truly detest and for me to bow a head in a prayer setting is hypocritical.

The person already has a direct link to his god for assistance, I will do what I can in the truck but when it comes to the prayer aspect, they really shouldn't need me or try to involve me...

djmedic913

Forum Lieutenant
I am an athiest. and definately anti-religion. I'm not gonna get into a theological discussion in this thread over any of this.

If my Pt is critical they can pray or whatever but I will be busy treating...

If my Pt is stable enough and wishes me to pray with them, I have bowed my head while they pray. I look at it this way, if it helps my Pt then why not. I don't pray or say anything, not even amen, but I will give them the respect to help themselves feel better.

I still try to get my patients to laugh. I usually use corny jokes or something. I still believe laughter is the best medicine, for anyone capable of laughing.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I don't see it as being dishonet to yourself, rather dealing with the mental aspect of your patient's care. If it will help them feel better, more positively, then so be it! I am not so insecure in my beliefs that I feel bowing my head for a moment to help a patient would compromise that.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Nope. Praying with someone isnt an aspect of my job. I cant ever remember ever being asked to.

djmedic913

Forum Lieutenant
I understand being atheist.. but anti-religion? You're against people having organized beliefs different from yours? Or did you just phrase that wrong?

Nope, I phrased it correctly. I am not against the people but the organized religion and their rules. If you would like to discuss this further PM me. But I don't want to hijack this thread with my opinions on theology.

EMT-G36C

Forum Crew Member
I do not bow my head ever Sasha and it is not stubbornness. I will be silent as there are moments where silence should be regarded, but to bow ones head when someone else prays to their god is offensive to me. It is not being true to myself. Why must I "appear" to be of their same belief? I do my best to not ever be a hypocrite as it is one thing I truly detest and for me to bow a head in a prayer setting is hypocritical.

The person already has a direct link to his god for assistance, I will do what I can in the truck but when it comes to the prayer aspect, they really shouldn't need me or try to involve me...

We seem to be cut from the same cloth sir!

However, I do bow my head for a few reasons.

A.) If it helps them and I'm not busy, why not?

My beliefs basically revolve around Thelema and things of that nature, aka "do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law". I want to provide the best care for my pt., and if it helps, screw it.

B.) I keep my religion out of my work.

Again, for pt. sake. Reason A is more for me, as it allows me to help them better, and makes me better at my job. B is for them. My job is my life. I am willing to suspend my beliefs for the 13 hours I work if it makes me better at helping my pt. I may hate your gods and their rules, but if it helps you more than I can, go nuts. I will act liek I respect it.

(Basically the same points the more I think about it, but whatever.)

C.) If you dont bow your head they can see you snicker! :lol::lol::lol:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru

Usually AK we agree, but this point I believe I am going to have to disagree with you. Again EMS lack of medical education comes through; understanding that the patients spiritual need is just important sometimes as their physical ones. Especially more cultures, than others. Again, one of the few medical professions that ignores the basics of understanding holistic care.

We do not educate Paramedics or those within EMS how important those items are and acknowledging them. We should attempt to accommodate them when and if possible. Especially on simplistic acts. Remember, it is really about them and not your personal beliefs or ideologies. Acknowledging is not a sign of weakness rather allowing them their ability to express part of their psyche and emotional needs.

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator: