Your First Call

FF/EMT Sam

Forum Lieutenant

Emtgirl21

Forum Lieutenant
My first ride out in EMT school was a COPDer, my first day in the ER was a Trauma Code. My first day on a BLS truck was a transfer. Don't remember many details. Thats sad considering i've just hit my one year. I do remember a lot of calls between then and now.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Appearantly, you'll never have worked with me.. I have had plenty die on me.. and yes, even as rude as it might be even deliver !!!

Actually, I don't mine delivering kids.. Mom does all the work!...

R/r911
But did you pronounce them?

I belive the point of the "you don't die in my rig" is that if someone codes, we work them and the ED calls it... or we call it onscene... It is rare for us to cease resusitation while transporting... except for the DNR patient.

mfrjason

Forum Lieutenant
But did you pronounce them?

I belive the point of the "you don't die in my rig" is that if someone codes, we work them and the ED calls it... or we call it onscene... It is rare for us to cease resusitation while transporting... except for the DNR patient.

The only time a patient can be pronounced DOA is either in the ER when all methods of trying to save the patient have failed b/c only a doctor can pronounce the patient.

JasonA

Forum Probie
8 Days ago-

I went for my first ride-along. We got called to a hot springs resort. 32 y/o male fell and hit his head. RP stated "Wasnt acting right." We got there and he was having full body convulsions. He had been walking down some big steps outside and fell and hit his head on a 4x4. Fire was holding him down the best they could so he wouldnt roll onto rocks or anything.

Oh, and the whole time we were on scene his friend is holding his hand screaming "DONT GO TO THE LIGHT! FIGHT, BUDDY, FIGHT! I WONT LET YOU DIE!"

The EMT-B started a line on him while the Paramedic was asking the wife some questions. She had some ETOH in her for sure, and after a few minuted the Medic got it out of someone that the guy had had two bottles of wine. We loaded him up and went Emergent to the ER (20 minutes away.) On the way in the drunk wife was tailgating the ambulance till the EMT called in and had them pulled over, the didnt get a DUI, but they could have. The Medic started to give him some Fentynyl ( Sorry for the spelling.) and the guy freaking out saying that it would make him violent and that he would kill us both, so he gave him some Versaid/Fersaid? (Which is it?).

Right then he said his stomache really hurt, so the Medic palped and found that his liver/area supposedly hurt. The guy wanted me to hold pressure on the area for him, I did, and the whole time he is like "OMG, Jason, it feels so good!" So in the ER, I am just hanging around watching what is going on. The PT is like, " I need to pee". So a nurse handed the Medic a bottle. ( He didnt have on gloves, which kinda of scared me." Someone stuck him in the bottle and he started going at it. Well....Right then he convulsis and something pops out of the bottle. Remember, this guy is moving around. So the medic is covered in urnine, right then the EMT pulls back the curtain and sees what is going on. She just whipped it shut and said "Jason. Get in there and help." So the guy is flailing around downt here knocking the Medic's hands out of the way, all the while still urinating. They finally just tossed a blanket over him.

I am still standing back just like "Oh, wow........"

When we got back to the bay the Medic said that me holding the guy's stomache didnt do anything, it just made him feel comfortable. The EMT heard that and was like "He just liked your strong, soft hands on him." then something about the Budda belly-rub......

I will always remeber that call, and it was my first one ever.

mfrjason

Forum Lieutenant
OMG Jason,that must of been quite a strange call for you?

mysterl33

Forum Crew Member
my first call was a elderly lady at a senior citzens home. She fell and hit her head. The patient's room was on the 4th floor, we got the cot and our jump kit in with our 4 man crew only to find out that the elevator wouldn't go up to the 4th floor. we then headed back down to the first floor where one of us went to the front desk and told them we need to get to the 4th floor but can't so she said she'll have someone get us up there. we couldn't wait so 2 members grabed the jumpkit and took the stairs, just then the elevator with me and the other meber started going up to the 4th floor. just as we got to the 4th floor, the 2 other members who took the stairs arrived. we found out the lady had high bp, and there was a lump on her shoulder, she hurt her shoulder. so we took her to a hospital.

yup that was my first call. wasn't exciting but oh well haha.

emtwannabe

Forum Lieutenant
Went on my first ride-along last Wednesday. First call was a house fire. First med call was a CHFer in severe distress.

Jeff

Glorified

Forum Lieutenant
First call was during my clinical a couple weeks ago. Routine transfer for 60 y/o female. 500+ lb, history of hypertension, anemia, left leg cellulitis, hyperlipidemia, type II diabetic, antibiotic resistant, transferring for a picc-line insertion.

My last call that day was a hypoglycemic AMS, screaming, SCREAMING patient. I was just in the back putting her non-rebreather back on because she was screaming so much it was falling off. I got to tape down the IV with trauma tape, because she was trying to rip it out.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
my first call ever was a stroke.

my first call as an EMT was an RN involved in an MVA. She second guesses everything I did. Very nerve racking.

my first call back after a several year layoff was a sick woman

firefighterchick672

Forum Ride Along
my first call was a sezuires. they were on the interstate and the disatch asked where they were but appartally didn't tell them to pull over and stop. we had to keep asking dispatch where the patient and finally catch up with them. she was pos tical and we took her to the ER

SwissEMT

Forum Lieutenant
First call was a dispatch for teenager with Chest Pn. Had been lifting weights earlier and started feeling pain at some time. Was checked out by Providence EMS who noted no anomalies in vital signs so they told him he could either be taken to the Hospital or go home. He of course decided to go home. Pain got too bad so he called us.

When we arrived on scene. Difficulty breathing. Pt stated a 6/10 pain upon respiration. No lung sounds on L side. I was surprised that the PulseOX indicated 98%. Suspected a L sided PTX. Threw him on O2, monitor for good measure and TP to RI Hospital.
Kid was discharged 3 days after having the chest tube removed. We were dead on.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
I was afraid you’d ask that!

New York. Flushing Community Volunteer Ambulance Corps. 1973. Converted hearses. Load and Go! EMT not required yet. Things were on the verge of humongous change!

Rookie as rookie could be. Just got through Basic First Aid. Showed up at quarters to hang out. One medic present. Emergency transfer call comes in. Hospital in Flushing to Columbia Pres., in Manhattan. The other guy scheduled didn’t show. Not yet trained in driving. Guess I was the patient guy!

Loaded an 80 y.o. man into the rig. Was told the transfer was to Intensive Care, Code Three. My seasoned partner helped me take BP and pulse, both WNL, though the man seemed barely conscious. Before he left, my partner took the man’s hand and clamped a clothes-pin-like device over his pointer finger. A green light on the end of it blinked on and off.

My partner, beaming with pride said, “We’re getting to test out these new devices. They’re pulse-monitors. It’s lots easier than feeling for it while we’re moving.”

Now this was rush hour. Bumper to bumper on the LIE. New Yorkers, at that time, could give f***-all about an ambulance with lights and sirens blaring behind them. As my partner stopped and started, twisted and turned the ambulance wherever he could to make headway into the City, me and my patient were jostled around mightily. It was so bad that I had all I could do to watch the damn blinking green light!

We’re talking 68 minutes to go 15 miles. On a Highway! By the time we landed at the hospital, I had the feeling the patient wasn’t doing very well, but that light kept blinking. The Doctor was actually there to meet us. My partner opened the door and took one look at the patient and said, “Doc, you better take a look!”

The doctor got in and as he put his hand under the patient’s nose to check for breathing I noticed the patient was a lot grayer than before. Wasn't moving much, either. There was no breath. I missed something, I thought.

The Doctor paused a couple seconds and then muttered under his breath, “Expected. He’s done. It’s too bad we didn’t get him here in time to get the pacemaker electrode re-embedded properly!”

I looked at the blinking green light responding heartily to the electrical impulses that were not getting to the man’s tissue at about the same time as I noticed a squarish bulge close to the man's left armpit over his chest and under his skin. It was there I got my first critical lesson in the difference between man and machine.

Last edited by a moderator:

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Firetender, wow. That's quite a story.

NREMT3138

Forum Probie
My first call was a suicide. She took the time to cover her waterbed with plastic and towels before she cut her wrists and bled out. Not much I could do except protect the crime scene. Turns out, after a year of investigating, the husband killed her.

old hand

Forum Ride Along
Unfortunately I still remember my firs call as a basic and that was 22 yrs ago.
About 0740 tones go off. MVA hwy *** and *** road. We pull up on the scene and immediately recognize the vehicle that was on its side. It was the vehicle of another emt from our station. We approach and find him partially decapitated.

Finished that run and 40 minutes later we respond to a farm injury. We arrive and the vics wife says I think he is under the bush hog. We check and sure enough that is where he is. He had a massive MI and fell off his tractor and was caught under the bush hog. His wife saw the tractor going across field by itself. My whole first day was fatalaties. 2 more after these then it was quiet and spent the rest of the time talking it out.

rescue_dog

Forum Ride Along
Fire standby. I watched one of the firefighters get his first save--A pomeranian that could have just been an oversized squirell. Seeing this guy (who could have been a stunt double for Michael Clarke Duncan) busting out of the doorway in full turnout gear, mask and tank, holding this 10 lb dog, is a sight I'll never forget.

knxemt1983

Forum Lieutenant
I remember it like it was yesterday, and will never forget it. I was not even an emt, just a recruit at my local volunteer rescue squad, and I was scheduled to go on duty on my first shift at 1900. I got there at 1845 and met the truck as it was leaving on a confirmed pin, over an embankment. I was green as could be and nervous, but my captain said "get in, you're going on this one" so I jumped in. When we got there we had a convertible mustang over an embankment, with a 17 y/o male pinned by the dash, laying on a bush that was the only thing holding it from plunging 100 ft further. I just did what the officers told me to do, and we got they guy out, and airlifted him to the trauma center. he coded 8 times that day, but lived.

The reason I will never forget it is because several years later I met a guy through a friend, and he ended up driving me home after a few too many cold ones. He looked at my squad id in the rear view mirror and startedt alking to me about it. Long story short, it was that guy, and so we became friends. a couple weeks agao I was in hid wedding, class "A" and all.