You respond to 40 y/o with chest pains and coughing

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
and your ambulance battery is dead and no gas in it. tires are flat and your defib is broken.

...and there are zombies in the woods and they smell brains and you don't have anything on you to kill no zombies and meanwhile that freakin' guy is still coughing up blood and your partner is still dead...

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
...and your partner then rises as a new zombie and tries to eat you and the crews coming in to assist you are overwhelmed as well.

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
...and there are zombies in the woods and they smell brains and you don't have anything on you to kill no zombies and meanwhile that freakin' guy is still coughing up blood and your partner is still dead...

Ask all zombies that are able to walk to proceed to the yard and green tag themselves. :)

BOS 101

Forum Crew Member

Suddenly I'm starting to like this sim...

BOS 101

Forum Crew Member
In my area an MCI isn't defined by a specific number of patients but instead where the initial first response is overwhelmed which I'd say the lone EMT is most certainly overwhelmed at this point. Not that I'd personally pull that trigger in this case (we always have an engine company auto dispatched to all medical with us plus being in an urban area I can have lots of resources in a few minutes with a single radio call)
Hm that's interesting never thought of that or heard of a system like that

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
Hm that's interesting never thought of that or heard of a system like that

I believe the trend is towards defining MCI in terms of being overwhelmed. Most things I have read have stated that the definition is purposefully ambiguous.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Putting numbers on MCI declarations are silly. There is no way to predict what resources will quickly be available to you, if any. If you can't handle it, it's an MCI until you have what you need.

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
yeah just think about it.. The guy is going into hypovolemic shock.. Its a rural area and theres only 2 crews you and another.. Hes lost so much blood from coughing up so much and your partner is in cardiac arrest.. what do you do?

Go sit in the corner and suck my thumb and cry for my mummy

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
How is it that serious threads end up being funnier than most of the humor threads?

NYBLS

Forum Lieutenant
We really need to answer some other question before we can make a determination:

1) Do we like our partner?
2) Is his life insurance paid up?
3) How hot is his wife?

SixEightWhiskey

Forum Crew Member
Another important question: are you upset at your partner for ostracizing you for coming up with outlandish scenarios that involve his death?

OP
OP
J

jhall98

Forum Crew Member
We really need to answer some other question before we can make a determination:

1) Do we like our partner?
2) Is his life insurance paid up?
3) How hot is his wife?
his wife is a 4 out of 10. No life insurance and your boss loves your partner tons more than you.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
his wife is a 4 out of 10. No life insurance and your boss loves your partner tons more than you.

Acquire both partner's wife & boss, throw them in the back of the rig with your turned partner, put on Disco Inferno, sit back, grab some popcorn & enjoy the show.

iExposeDeformities

Forum Crew Member
respiration 24.. oxygen saturation is 85%, bp 100/75 chest rise and fall is diminished on left side of chest, c/c is coughing up blood.. hes having a hard time breathing.. Your partner then goes into sudden cardiac arrest and you two are the only ones on scene.. Mind you I am a student so im still kind of a newbie at this.
So we have a patient with suspected hemothorax and a partner that suddenly went into cardiac arrest.....run?

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
So we have a patient with suspected hemothorax and a partner that suddenly went into cardiac arrest.....run?

A lot of reasons for Hemoptysis other than Hemothorax and probably more likely.

iExposeDeformities

Forum Crew Member
A lot of reasons for Hemoptysis other than Hemothorax and probably more likely.
The part that highlighted to me that it was hemothorax was the “chest rise and fall diminished on left side” but after reading it again “coughing up blood” it could in fact be hemoptysis since hemothorax technically means blood in the pleural space