You might work for a private if.....

Medic2409

Forum Lieutenant
When you report to a supervisor that your PM is well over 10,000 miles overdue, and he replies with "You know those miles are always wrong."

Medic2409

Forum Lieutenant
True story:

A crew from a local company had an issue with an ambulance.

This issue was reported to a Supervisor.

His reply? "Just drive it till the wheels fall off!"

Fifteen minutes later...yep...one of the rear wheels fell off!:rofl::rofl:

firecoins

IFT Puppet
- I was required to purchase an O2 regulator with a 50 PSI knob to run vent jobs.

- All my EMTs are fresh out of EMT school without experience.

- Supervisors are EMT-Bs or lower. They tell me how to do my job as a medic.

- Diverting a critical patient to the closest facility violates company rules cause it pisses off the nursing home.

- Akways have assists for jobs that don't require one and can never get one for when you need one.

- The assign me a truck with no captain's chair and see nothing wring with that.

- Argue with me that I need to restock.

- Always threaten to write you up for nonsense.

TheyCallMeNasty

Forum Crew Member
Where can I find the Volly Big Hose Company #69 shirts.......I can wear that with my davy crockett hat and play ricky rescue with every car pulled over on the side of the road.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Your last four partners had a month of experience. Combined.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

firecoins

IFT Puppet
in nj we have 556 municipalities served by around 600 various EMS agencies,the significant majority of BLS services are volunteer squads, only th larger, busiest cities and townships have some kind of career EMS and most are run either through a township PD, FD ect, a few are hybrid. Very few private for-profit companies do 911. The private services to IFT or 911 to contracted facilities only. so yeah, private EMS in NJ is IFT, and its generally viewed as the dumping ground for those who "washed out" of 911 service

As a former NJ IFT emt, its made up of EMTs who will never do 911, volunteer buffs who could never get hired be professional 911 agencies and people with past felonies.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
IFT:

...... if everyone you work with feels the need to explain and rationalize why they're working there, like it's an embarassment to be employed by such a place.

......if you're required to go in to the local hospital's ER whenever you have downtime, and ask to help out, so that you can change linens, empty trash, move patients and such instead of enjoying what little downtime you would otherwise have.

......if everyone you come across asks you why you would work for such a place since you're already employed FT in a 911 system.

......if the last time you boarded and collared someone was in EMT class.

......if you're a medic and have never started a line on anyone or dropped a tube since medic school.

......if transporting someone to the ED for any reason whatsoever, such as a NH pickup for "abnormal labs" or a G-tube replacement excites you, since you're actually bringing someone into the ED, like the 911 crews, getting triaged, etc. instead of taking people out of the hospital like usual. You feel like you're "doin' it."

......if you and your partner have arguments about when to wear gloves. For example, only when touching the pt and the straps, take the gloves off when touching the straps, gloves on when using the cot's handles, gloves off whenever touching the handles, gloves off when opening and closing the ambulance's doors, real Nazi crap.

......if neither of you know what to do whatsoever when you get flagged for an MVA between calls.

......if a nurse refuses to give you the pt's Hx, meds, etc. because it's a "HIPAA violation." (I've effected a few re-educations from their superiors in regards)

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
When you are instructed to post in the ambulance parking area of a hospital that your company does not have any sort of contract with so as to "see about getting some of their discharges." You are also encouraged to use the bathroom in the ER instead of the adjacent Dunkies so you can use your uniform as a company advertisement.

Sasha

Forum Chief
IFT:

...... if everyone you work with feels the need to explain and rationalize why they're working there, like it's an embarassment to be employed by such a place.

......if you're required to go in to the local hospital's ER whenever you have downtime, and ask to help out, so that you can change linens, empty trash, move patients and such instead of enjoying what little downtime you would otherwise have.

......if everyone you come across asks you why you would work for such a place since you're already employed FT in a 911 system.

......if the last time you boarded and collared someone was in EMT class.

......if you're a medic and have never started a line on anyone or dropped a tube since medic school.

......if transporting someone to the ED for any reason whatsoever, such as a NH pickup for "abnormal labs" or a G-tube replacement excites you, since you're actually bringing someone into the ED, like the 911 crews, getting triaged, etc. instead of taking people out of the hospital like usual. You feel like you're "doin' it."

......if you and your partner have arguments about when to wear gloves. For example, only when touching the pt and the straps, take the gloves off when touching the straps, gloves on when using the cot's handles, gloves off whenever touching the handles, gloves off when opening and closing the ambulance's doors, real Nazi crap.

......if neither of you know what to do whatsoever when you get flagged for an MVA between calls.

......if a nurse refuses to give you the pt's Hx, meds, etc. because it's a "HIPAA violation." (I've effected a few re-educations from their superiors in regards)

Half of those have nothing to do with being private and everything to do with doing IFTs, which doesn't have to be through a private service.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

Windycity34

Forum Ride Along
When the DO isn't even in Ems....

When the dispatcher spends more time on fb and asking u to keep your own times..

When the owners whole family is on the payroll and have no real job but make more then the medics....

NeverSatisfied~NorCal

Forum Crew Member
If while on a "drop off delay" from IFT's to actually get lunch you notice your left front tire has cords showing and after telling your supervisor they tell you to finish out the shift then your partner with 10 years of experience as a "basic" throws a fit like a 12 year old and plops down on the curb refusing to even ride back to the station

:rofl:

socalemt123

Forum Crew Member
When you are instructed to post in the ambulance parking area of a hospital that your company does not have any sort of contract with so as to "see about getting some of their discharges." You are also encouraged to use the bathroom in the ER instead of the adjacent Dunkies so you can use your uniform as a company advertisement.

This is exactly what they have us do. They have never had one discharge out of these ER's yet we sit outside of them almost everyday and eat in there cafeteria and use their restrooms. Sometimes they'll have us go in and introduce ourselves and let them know we are in the area. We've also had our company have us go in the hospital and get names and numbers of 3 people so they know that we actually did it. Sometimes I just feel like going and getting three janitors names. :p

EMTswag

Forum Crew Member
Your truck's main 02 is empty and you dont have a wrench with which to change it and dispatch's response is "can you just take an extra portable? i need you to do a dialysis job asap"

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
This is exactly what they have us do. They have never had one discharge out of these ER's yet we sit outside of them almost everyday and eat in there cafeteria and use their restrooms. Sometimes they'll have us go in and introduce ourselves and let them know we are in the area. We've also had our company have us go in the hospital and get names and numbers of 3 people so they know that we actually did it. Sometimes I just feel like going and getting three janitors names. :p

Wow I would not be pleased about that. The company now has a few full time account executive type people doing that sort of work thankfully. Talk about a way to ruin downtime, having to pin down some overworked ER staffer for his number is a great way to have the staff love you the next time you bring someone to that hospital.

Sent from my out of area communications device.

jemt

Forum Crew Member
If while on a "drop off delay" from IFT's to actually get lunch you notice your left front tire has cords showing and after telling your supervisor they tell you to finish out the shift then your partner with 10 years of experience as a "basic" throws a fit like a 12 year old and plops down on the curb refusing to even ride back to the station

Wow that is Ironic. I actually had a partner do the exact thing with 10 years as a basic. He also than proceeded to call the owner two days later at 3:30am to say the tire still wasn't fixed. Needless to say he isn't employed by the same company anymore.

NeverSatisfied~NorCal

Forum Crew Member
That is too funny!! There seems to be a few trends around here. My old partner no longer works in EMS...lol

Sasha

Forum Chief

I wouldn't ride back with a tire like that either.

One of you dropped the ball, tires should be checked at the start of shift

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

"Do no further harm"

An ambulance crashing from a blown out tire definitely is doing harm. I'm with Sasha on this one.