You did WHAT??

rmellish

Forum Captain
In High School:
Computer / Network Technician
Auditorium technician and supervisor

Plus I ran my own informal business doing video editing, computer repair, etc.
Oh, and I mowed a few lawns.
Did some part time construction work as well.

JonTullos

Forum Captain
Another former radio guy! Be glad you got out. It's nothing but voice tracking these days. :)

And even worse in small markets. In Meridian, MS there's a woman (who I used to work with) who does mornings on a Hot AC/Modern AC with the name Christina Kelly. Middays, she's Carla West on the country station... the country she used to be on under Christina. Umm...

What markets and formats did you do? I worked mostly in Meridian, MS but I did about two years in Fort Wayne, IN. Mostly, I did CHR/Pop and Hot AC but I was on a CHR/Rhythmic in Fort Wayne.

Buzz

Forum Captain
Let's see...

RioWrap's employee...
Auto Detailer
Systems Administrator
Network Technician

Kendall

Forum Lieutenant
Prior to going paid in EMS (volunteered for many years prior):

Customer Service Representative & Payroll Clerk - Safeway Canada
Front Store Supervisor - Shoppers Drug Mart

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Many of your photos appear too young for that many jobs!

More like I'm gettig too old.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Exodus, what I didn't do was become my childhood dream:

Vertebrate Paleontologist.
Maybe I could have been on "FRIENDS"?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
-3 years working at J.C. Penny's portrait studio (high school job)
-2 years working priviate GOMER-shuffle ambulances
-3 years working unarmed security/medical response... and some armed.
-1 year as a full-time EMT on a 911 truck.

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
Worked at a children's museum for 7 years
Walgreen's for 2 years.
EMT since age 21 - right out of college.

joemt

Forum Lieutenant
First job out of school I worked in a clothing manufacturer. I put on Beltloops, Button holes, and shipping. I did that for about 9 months

Student (first time)

Care Aide in a residential care facility for Mentally and Physically challenged kids. Did that for 4 years.

Tour Guide and Customer Service Staff member at a Show Cave. (4 seasons).

Community Educator in Educational Services at a local hospital for 7 years full time, 10 years total.

Community Educator for a National Safety Council Branch (8 months, they hired me without a way to pay me... good times!)

EMT Lead Instructor for a Technical College (still currently hold this position)

Back at the Cave Gig, while I'm back in school (3rd time).

Jo

aandjmayne

Forum Crew Member
I was a respite worker while in high school for 4 years... cashier at walmart... lol... 4 wks too long.. cashier at walgreens, I am now a paralegal and soon to be emt b.... then paramedic after a year or so..... Dont even want to talk about the paralegal job Im at now.. :wacko:

piranah

Forum Captain
deli
hardware shop
carpenter
auto tech
EMT-B 911/tp
soon to be paramedic...911

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
And even worse in small markets. In Meridian, MS there's a woman (who I used to work with) who does mornings on a Hot AC/Modern AC with the name Christina Kelly. Middays, she's Carla West on the country station... the country she used to be on under Christina. Umm...

What markets and formats did you do? I worked mostly in Meridian, MS but I did about two years in Fort Wayne, IN. Mostly, I did CHR/Pop and Hot AC but I was on a CHR/Rhythmic in Fort Wayne.

Hi Jon, I did just about every format. :) I've programmed Modern AC, Country, Active Rock, CHR and AC. And just like WKRP, I moved "town to town up, down the dial."

A short list is: St Louis (twice) Little Rock, Boston, Worcester, Portsmouth, North Conway and Manchester New Hampshire, Asbury Park NJ, Bend Oregon, Ann Arbor MI... and my last stop was PD and Afternoon Drive at "100.7 The Wolf" in Seattle.

About a year ago I decided I had had enough. I resigned and went back to school full time.

I grew up in Connecticut and worked in EMS for several years in the late 80's. I guess it was time to get back to my EMS roots. :)

Sjames

Forum Probie
Was just thinking there. I'm sure most of us did something before joining EMS.

Before EMS, I was a computer technician / Systems Engineer. Did that for about 7 years working in large companies and took a nice pay cute to do thie job I love!

So what did you do?

Computer tech/Network tech. Not taking as much as a pay cut as you did. haha
System engineer makes some good bucks. I probably loose about 10k/year. No big deal. If you don't like what you are doing don't do it.
All I hear now days from people is"Computers that's where the money is".
No one has ever asked me why I worked on computers. All they care about is money. I guess that's what sets the EMS community apart.

My generic answer is just to agree with them.

I still like to work on computers and hopefully when I am to decrepit to pick up patients anymore I will be able to open a computer shop.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
High School -
  • Business Research Associate at the State University

College - Full Time Student
  • Full Time Student
  • Tutor, Residential Peer Mentor, Pediatric Reasearch Associate (While at school)
  • EMT (at home while on breaks)

I haven't had nearly as many jobs as most of you!

paccookie

Forum Lieutenant
Various food service jobs
Customer service rep at a credit union
Sold vacuum cleaners
Inventory job
Various waitressing jobs
Secretary
Unit secretary at hospital
Pre-nursing student
History major headed to law school

Last edited by a moderator: