Writing at speed

ttoude

Forum Crew Member
Any tips for maintaining good penmanship in the back of a Ambulance AKA Buckboard!!!!!!!!!

Boss just got on me for my hand writing :(

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
abbreviate and rewrite later??

medic417

The Truth Provider
Do patient care while in back of ambulance with patient. Brief notes. Then at hospital do the report.

If you are doing your report with patient in ambulance you are not doing patient care.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Practice. One thing I found that helped was wearing a seatbelt because with a seatbelt on I could relax and take bumps instead of having to tense up and trying to suppress movement.

JPINFV

Gadfly
If you are doing your report with patient in ambulance you are not doing patient care.
Are you suggesting that all patients need care during the entire transport? I'm not saying just completely ignore the patient, but it is possible to keep an eye on the patient while writing up the report.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Are you suggesting that all patients need care during the entire transport? I'm not saying just completely ignore the patient, but it is possible to keep an eye on the patient while writing up the report.

I'm not suggesting I am saying being distracted by doing the actual report is asking for a bad outcome in the future. Write down the vitals and quick notes about the care, meds given etc, but do not get engrossed in writing the report, Plus if they have a drastic change your report will seem very odd as it jumps around rather than organized.

OP
OP
ttoude

ttoude

Forum Crew Member
I'm not suggesting I am saying being distracted by doing the actual report is asking for a bad outcome in the future. Write down the vitals and quick notes about the care, meds given etc, but do not get engrossed in writing the report, Plus if they have a drastic change your report will seem very odd as it jumps around rather than organized.

Good point

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief

When I was on IFT, I got in the bad habit of doing this and the exact thing happened, my reports would jump around sometimes. On some patients you can still start writing,but save the end of the report for the end of the run. I'm guilty of that one too, it's easy to get into that bad habit, especially when 90% of your IFT runs start, play out, and end the same.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Meh, if something happens and you need to rewrite your narritive for clarity, why not just pull out a new PCR and rewrite it from the start and shread the partially completed one?

Sasha

Forum Chief
I write my report during transport, never had a patient suffer for it. I don't ignore them, but honestly they don't require you staring at them the entire trip. My reports flow fine, I have a basic format I write them all in and that helps maintain "flow".

medic417

The Truth Provider
Meh, if something happens and you need to rewrite your narritive for clarity, why not just pull out a new PCR and rewrite it from the start and shread the partially completed one?

Altering a medical document? I am shocked.:sad:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Since when did starting over an uncompleted document become "altering." You know, on those electronic records the backspace key still works. This isn't breaking into the records after you turned it in and changing what's written on it. Until the document is completed, signed, and turned in (i.e. copy to the provider taking over care), it's a work in progress and subject to revision.

Last edited by a moderator:

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I write my report during transport, never had a patient suffer for it. I don't ignore them, but honestly they don't require you staring at them the entire trip. My reports flow fine, I have a basic format I write them all in and that helps maintain "flow".
I do something similar for stable patients. At an appropriate time in transport, I'll write the report to the point where trasnport is initiated. This way, all I have to do is write about what happened during transport and at arrival at the destination. My reports, once at destination, take only a couple minutes to complete.

I do, however, take notes and such during transport so that at the end of transport, it's easier to complete the report.

The more unstable my patient, the less I write on the PCR during transport... and the more that strip of tape on my leg gets written on.

I've also developed a basic script for each general type of patient that I use that allows me to kind of "plug in" the pertinent info, and also keep the report organized.

As to the OP's question: I learn which seat in the ambulance provides the least movement during transport and use that seat while writing... I use a clipboard, and press my forearm aganist the board so that bumps don't change the alignment of the pen to PCR. I also don't fight the bumps... I kind of roll with them fluidly.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
If you're re-writing a document that isn't complete for clarity's sake, it's not altering. You're not changning the data or other info... you're re-writing it for legibility. That's perfectly acceptible and legal. Now changing info AFTER the report is submitted... that's what requires special handling to prevent illegal alterations of the report.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Since when did starting over an uncompleted document become "altering." You know, on those electronic records the backspace key still works. This isn't breaking into the records after you turned it in and changing what's written on it. Until the document is completed, signed, and turned in (i.e. copy to the provider taking over care), it's a work in progress and subject to revision.

Sorry used wrong smiley. Was only yanking your chain on altering. I do disagree with doing the complete report though.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Big enough clipboard to brace your arms on, tuck in elbows.

Make your services indispensible and they will complain less.

SurgeWSE

Forum Crew Member
On stable patients, I often finish my report on the trip (granted, averge transport is 30-45 minutes to a community hospital and 45-1:15 the "real" hospitals). It is quite possible to watch a patient, write a report, and carry on a conversation at the same time. Even on critical patients that do not require constant managment, I'll try to knock out as much as I can (obviously I'll never let patient care suffer at all for paperwork, but there are plenty of situations where that's not the case). My rig covers 300 square miles by itself, with the next closest being an additional 10 miles away, so any improvement in turnaround time is benefitial to our citizens.

One thing that helps is your report's design. We have a section for procedures/treatment/response that is done in time-line form and is seperate from the rest of the narrative. I have all of the information to finish the HxPI section within 5 minutes of being on scene, and I document any changes in the "Transport" section.

medic417

The Truth Provider
My rig covers 300 square miles by itself, with the next closest being an additional 10 miles away, so any improvement in turnaround time is benefitial to our citizens.

LOL. Thats city man. Come talk to me when your the only ambulance for 3500 square miles and an hour and a half to the nearest band aid hospital with flight more than an hour away if they can even get to you.

SurgeWSE

Forum Crew Member
LOL. Thats city man. Come talk to me when your the only ambulance for 3500 square miles and an hour and a half to the nearest band aid hospital with flight more than an hour away if they can even get to you.

Then you should certainly be able to complete a report during transport :) I suppose I would describe my working environment as the sub-sub-suburban boonies. You must be in the actual sticks.

Last edited by a moderator:

thatJeffguy

Forum Lieutenant
I'm curious, is it a violation of protocol or privacy regulations to take "notes" while doing the transfer, then do a PCR off of those notes? My handwriting is literally "worse than a doctors" and I've always had to do things like this to compensate. I can scribble in my scrawl, legible to me, while working at a quick pace, then get back to the station, sit down with a cup of coffee and translate in to human. Is that usually a no-go or is it an ends justify the means situation?